Utah Jaz vs L.A. Lakers series

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can respect that, but the thing is, I want that respect in return. I want to post my opinion without being told I am wrong or what not and I know it really didn't happen tonight, though it was implied a little, I am talking in general.

Andrew, you are just getting a little bit of hazing. You are a new Suns fan, coming in on shaq's coattails and are going to get some static...and not just from other fans...Suns fans even give you some heat. They've seen hyperfans of guys like Penny on here.

You stick around for a couple of years, and nobody will question your stripes.

You also like to post a lot of stuff...you post with your heart on your sleeve and while there is nothing wrong with that, you leave yourself open to ribbing.

Respect is earned...you're earning it. I respect how much you have become a Suns fan so quickly myself, even if I nudge you from time to time. Your big test will come when the big LSU retires and how you respond to that. Or, if he is moved midseason in two years as an expiring K.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I freely admit I am bitter about Shaq's departure and his subsequent taking less money in Miami (which he wouldn't do in LA) and getting into 2000 shaq shape (which he wouldn't do in LA) if only briefly. So I'm prone to diss your idol...and I know how dissing a guys favorite player can set a guy off. See: jokes, kobe, rapist.

:)

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Oh, and I freely admit I am bitter about Shaq's departure and his subsequent taking less money in Miami (which he wouldn't do in LA) and getting into 2000 shaq shape (which he wouldn't do in LA) if only briefly. So I'm prone to diss your idol...and I know how dissing a guys favorite player can set a guy off. See: jokes, kobe, rapist.

:)
Wow a Lakers fan admitting that about Shaq, never thought I would see that.

You probably like Kobe because he is extremely talented and seems like a decent guy...

That is why I like Shaq, I have since I was like 10. While I used to be a big Kobe fan, he lost a lot of my respect with how he handled things, along with the whole organization....

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow a Lakers fan admitting that about Shaq, never thought I would see that.

I'm a riddle wrapped in an enigma. Or something. :D

You probably like Kobe because he is extremely talented and seems like a decent guy...

I like Kobe for his play on the court and his absolute dedication to the craft. His will and drive and desire is something I adore. I love guys who give everything they have not just on the court, but in the offseason. Hard workers get instant respect from me. It's the one thing I hate about Shaq. He's too aloof. I always liked Shaq, wanted him and Penny to win a title. he's a great guy off the court...love his personality. But, he's content to be one of the greatest big men ever, when he could have gone down as the best player ever to play the game. I've said quite often that if you could have combined the fire and passion, the work ethic and dedication of Kobe with the sheer talent and size of Shaq that you might as well shut down the NBA because nobody could ever compete with that guy's team. Ever.

I also freely admit that Kobe can be a dick. His mentality puts him in a box that is difficult to crack. To be driven like that is a blessing and a curse.

That is why I like Shaq, I have since I was like 10. While I used to be a big Kobe fan, he lost a lot of my respect with how he handled things, along with the whole organization....

I feel the same about shaq. I loved him as a Laker, though he was frustrating. I still like him though, but have resentment. I'm sure you feel the same about Kobe, deep down.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
All that matters to me is Shaq WILL go down as the best big man...to me...all that matters.

Man, I am getting all sappy.

But seriously, I love Shaq and I am not afraid to admit it. If I met him, I would shake his hand and thank him for what he has done in his career and for what he continues to do to help...

He has such a big heart, he gives back...he gives out thousands of toys to kids on Christmas every year, he has helped kids lose weight, he is a freaking cop, well sorta lol.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
This is the first convo I have had with a Laker fan that didn't turn into name calling since 2004 lol.

KCi

Reaction score
You can be a fan of Shaq and still appreciate Kobe's game. ;) It's rather silly how the media makes you take sides. Both player are once in a generation talent and when they both retire, basketball fans will realize how rare these two players are.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All that matters to me is Shaq WILL go down as the best big man...to me...all that matters.

Yeah, I guess. But I wanted more. I wanted him to OWN LA like nobody else, even my own personal idol, Magic. You think I like Kobe?? Thank god there wasn't an Internet back in Magic's day. I can mark moments in my life by all things Magic Johnson. Still the greatest player to ever lace 'em up, IMO. And I had the honor of watching him play. I've never ever seen a guy so charismatic, in so much control, with such leadership that could do any damn thing he wanted on the court. Winning 5 rings in the 80s, against that competition, to me is the greatest achievement in sports. Sad that all my favorite Lakers (1 Magic, 2 Kobe and 3 James Worthy) all had sexual escapade issues. And for the record, Kobe just overtook Worthy for the 2 spot this year.

Man, I am getting all sappy.

*hands Andrew a kleenex*

But seriously, I love Shaq and I am not afraid to admit it. If I met him, I would shake his hand and thank him for what he has done in his career and for what he continues to do to help...

He has such a big heart, he gives back...he gives out thousands of toys to kids on Christmas every year, he has helped kids lose weight, he is a freaking cop, well sorta lol.

Shaq is one of the greatest guys off the court. His media stuff, his humor, his charity...dude is great. The issues I have with him are on the court and business/relationship related. You can understand a guy weaned on the Lakers would take issue with the departure from what I feel is the greatest franchise in the world...even though you see it from another angle.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can be a fan of Shaq and still appreciate Kobe's game. ;) It's rather silly how the media makes you take sides. Both player are once in a generation talent and when they both retire, basketball fans will realize how rare these two players are.

This is truth. Their accomplishments are astounding. Especially combined. Despite their differences, when they were clicking on the court it was unreal. Like it wasn't even happening.

The 16-1 postseason was one of the most awe-inspiring moments of my Laker fandom. Damn you AI for winning that first game in the finals!!!! When Kobe and Shaq were meshing, it was a sight to behold. They won titles on their talent, with a group of semi-scrubs as the other three starters. young Fish (he's gotten better with age). Fox. Horry. Shaqobe's combined talent was disgusting. Lakerfans are haunted by what could have been if those two guys could have just gotten along. I like to think though, that their differences are what made them great. They used the other team as their outlet...it was...glorious. :D

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Just so you know Andrew, while I have some issues with the way Shaq handled things in LA, I still consider him one of the best players that's ever played this game. His charity work is also something I deeply admire.

Shaq will be remembered as one of the best centers in history, nothing will change that.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
This is directed towards Donald's last post...

Now you are making me sad that I am only 21 and can't cherish those memories as much as you do. Don't get me wrong, I cherish those memories and I remember seeing them as they happened...but appreciating sports to one's full extent isn't possible until you are fully mature and know its more than a sport....

That is a relative new concept to me, well at least new in the sense of your's, going all the way back to Magic in the 80s...I wasn't born until 87 lol.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Just so you know Andrew, while I have some issues with the way Shaq handled things in LA, I still consider him one of the best players that's ever played this game. His charity work is also something I deeply admire.

Shaq will be remembered as one of the best centers in history, nothing will change that.
Replace "Shaq" with "Kobe" in the above and its me....

However, I think of Shaq as one of the best in history, not just as a center...

I guess I was drawn to him at an early age because I have always loved basketball and his dominance even when he came in the league was like WOW.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Wow, I think Donald and Darth Llama are my 2 new fav people here...

Can I say that without getting a verbal beating from all the Suns fans lol?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Now you are making me sad that I am only 21 and can't cherish those memories as much as you do. Don't get me wrong, I cherish those memories and I remember seeing them as they happened...but appreciating sports to one's full extent isn't possible until you are fully mature and know its more than a sport....

That is a relative new concept to me, well at least new in the sense of your's, going all the way back to Magic in the 80s...I wasn't born until 87 lol.

Man, you missed some wild basketball Andrew. I was born in 73...the Lakers had recently won a title and my Dad (grew up in Long Beach) was ecstatic that West finally won one. I was Laker weaned. He wasn't near the fan that I am. My mom is a Texas girl, and though she likes the Lakers, she cheers for the spurs. I'm enemy number one in bball season. :)

I find myself usually on the opposite side of "dirty" plays like the Horry foul on west, from the general consensus...but I think that goes back to when Rambis was clotheslined...HARD. The result of that play? Two free throws and the game went on. These days that would have been ejection, suspension and TONS of internet arguing. I have a much more "let them play" attitude. Sure, I hate when my guys get tagged for hard fouls (Ronny in game 4, Raja dropping Kobe two years ago...a game I was at) but in the end, I'd rather see them play it out and let the players regulate the game. I understand why it is so tight these days, but my childhood was all about "no blood, no foul" mentalities and rough play...thank the Pistons for that one. :D

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace "Shaq" with "Kobe" in the above and its me....

However, I think of Shaq as one of the best in history, not just as a center...

I guess I was drawn to him at an early age because I have always loved basketball and his dominance even when he came in the league was like WOW.

Young Shaq was insane...seriously. The rims being brought down...the personality...nobody was like that.

I compare Dwight Howard (one of my favorite guys in the league) to Shaq, but I know the comparison is faulty.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I think Donald and Darth Llama are my 2 new fav people here...

Can I say that without getting a verbal beating from all the Suns fans lol?

It's like we all dated the same chick in high school, and are comparing notes. Eye opening, for sure. You're just the one who married her. :D

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
One of my dreams is to go a Shaq game before he retires, but sadly that won't happen....unless an NBA team relocates to St. Louis and the Suns come here...

I want to see the man play live, and I would spend so much money to get as close as possible...just to be there...

Sadly, I have never even been to an NBA game...

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
It's like we all dated the same chick in high school, and are comparing notes. Eye opening, for sure. You're just the one who married her. :D
Did you ever watch Seinfeld? George with the man crush...that's me with Shaq lol.

The online Urban Dictionary defines "man crush" as "When a straight man has a crush on another man, not sexual, but kind of idolizing him."

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Now you are making me sad that I am only 21 and can't cherish those memories as much as you do.

Oh, this brought this idea to mind.

I was between the ages of 7 and 18 when Magic was storming the league...I remember clearly being at a basketball camp when Magic hit the jr sky hook to steal the momentum from Boston in the finals. After that, I remember EVERYONE going to the rims and shooting that damn shot. I still shoot it playing horse, yelling out "magic for the win" when I do. (abomb can't hit it...lol)

I was a little more than your age when Kobe came into the league. I got to grow those "mature" memories with him. Sometimes I think...man, is Kobe better than Magic? So I pop in a DVD of old Laker games and I sit back still in awe as childhood memories come back. And I say...no...kobe's great, but not THAT great. 17 wasn't that long ago (so I like to think).

I feel lucky to have seen such talent, Shaq included, on my favorite team. Then I watch old clips of Jerry West and Gail Goodrich and Wilt and Mikan and I'm just floored. I absolutely love the Laker franchise...everything about it.

Aside: I can't stand tatoos...will never have them. But if I ever did get one, gun to my head I know for a fact it would be the Laker logo...I can't imagine anything else. The franchise defines me...as stupid and wretched as that sounds. It was just etched into my soul.

14 rings

Reaction score
SHIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP THE WINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

*- Okay, I'm hammered and really exicted right now but w/e goooo lakers!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05