Vernon Davis Article about Cards Game

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
With Franklin and Young having to sit for the past few weeks --

I expect the Cards to go no huddle in certain situations and make those guys suck wind

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does anyone have the vedio of Robert Griffith laying the wood on Davis from last season?

its here somewhere, gifs and videos, try the search button

I had it but switched positions at work and they gave me a different pc ; (

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Apparently VD and DD are emailing each other. Darnell said to Vernon you are going to have to block me and I'm going to kill you!!!

paraphrased of course...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I forgot about that Griffith hit. I was very impressed that Davis held onto that ball.

I hope that Davis scores 2 TDs and Boldin scores 3. Both are on my fantasy team.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I believe a key factor in the outcome of Monday night's game will be how well our defense balances out the addressing of the twin "name your poison" threats of Vern Davis and Frank Gore.

To oversimplify:

Adrian Wilson can't cover both guys at once. When he comes up into the box as the 8th guy to stop Gore, Davis is likely to gash us. When he stays with Davis, it leaves 7 guys in the box to deal with Gore.

The chess game (and how well each side implements it) will be fascinating.

Even though I have a glass of warm milk and my mothers famous crisp chocolate chip cookies before saying my prayers and jumping into the sack..I still wake up in a cold sweat seeing Davis over the middle against us too often. Seven up front trying to contain Gore "should" be enough as long as they don't play the flying all over the field routine and get burned on misdirection plays more than once.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone worried that Calvin Pace may be trying to cover Davis?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone worried that Calvin Pace may be trying to cover Davis?

Nope. Why worry about a hopeless matchup? When that happens, we'll lose that battle.

So what? One bad matchup does not assure team mediocrity.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope. Why worry about a hopeless matchup? When that happens, we'll lose that battle.

So what? One bad matchup does not assure team mediocrity.

But one matchup usually leads to other bad matchups in a game as the defense starts to make adjustments to help out the weak link.

I am not predicting team mediocrity by any means. I am just worried that Pace will be the primary cover man for Davis early and that will open up other places for the Niners to exploit.

I expect a high scoring game Monday night.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
my guess Dansby will cover the middle and Holt or Wilson will cover him if he goes deep

But Wilson will be playing close to the line of scrimmage (supposedly) and blitzing alot (supposedly). Holt is needed to CF duties to help out the DB's in deeper coverage.

Taking Dansby and making him a coverage LB then takes away a good pass rushing option for the team and negates him a bit...this is what I am talking about. The Cards will be forced to adjust and in doing so leave themselves vulnerable elsewhere to stop Davis.

Maybe the answer lies in the idea that the Cards just let Davis run wild because he is "only" a TE? Then try to stamp things down everywhere else?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But Wilson will be playing close to the line of scrimmage (supposedly) and blitzing alot (supposedly). Holt is needed to CF duties to help out the DB's in deeper coverage.

Taking Dansby and making him a coverage LB then takes away a good pass rushing option for the team and negates him a bit...this is what I am talking about. The Cards will be forced to adjust and in doing so leave themselves vulnerable elsewhere to stop Davis.

Maybe the answer lies in the idea that the Cards just let Davis run wild because he is "only" a TE? Then try to stamp things down everywhere else?

I think SF is going to feature Davis a lot this year. Antonio Bryant was their one consistent guy last year in the passing game and he moroned his way off the team.

The total absence of a pass rush in the preseason scares me against most teams our CB's againt their WR's, against SF it's really the TE that concerns me.

Lelie is the one WR on the 49ers who really has good deep speed, Darrell Jackson has killed us for years but he has a hammy problem right now, he'll play but who knows if he'll be near full speed.

I do agree though Davis figures to be the tough matchup.

I will admit I don't want to see Rolle anywhere near 1 on 1 on Lelie in the game, Lelie is very limited but he'll run right by Rolle in that matchup.

I think they're going to have trouble stopping us too, they have the same pass rush issue we have, at least on paper they do.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I think SF is going to feature Davis a lot this year. Antonio Bryant was their one consistent guy last year in the passing game and he moroned his way off the team.

The total absence of a pass rush in the preseason scares me against most teams our CB's againt their WR's, against SF it's really the TE that concerns me.

Lelie is the one WR on the 49ers who really has good deep speed, Darrell Jackson has killed us for years but he has a hammy problem right now, he'll play but who knows if he'll be near full speed.

I do agree though Davis figures to be the tough matchup.

I will admit I don't want to see Rolle anywhere near 1 on 1 on Lelie in the game, Lelie is very limited but he'll run right by Rolle in that matchup.

I think they're going to have trouble stopping us too, they have the same pass rush issue we have, at least on paper they do.

Here is a thought --

In the nickle, put Rolle on Davis. Speed wise they are the same, and both have the same body builder created stiff hips -- so Antrell will stay with him easily in and out of breaks. Antrell has the size to match up with him as well.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score

Well we could always go into the 3 safety set and have Wilson blitz while Dansby spys Davis and have Francisco covering Davis with Holt covering the center..I would rather have Davis beat us by having short gains instead of getting beat deep...And besides we'll never know what kind of blitz packages we're going to unleash upon Alex Smith:D

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well we could always go into the 3 safety set and have Wilson blitz while Dansby spys Davis and have Francisco covering Davis with Holt covering the center..I would rather have Davis beat us by having short gains instead of getting beat deep...And besides we'll never know what kind of blitz packages we're going to unleash upon Alex Smith:D

So who is benched to make room for Francisco on, say, 1st down? Pace? Basically you would have to make Wilson a LB in the 3-4 alignment to do what you suggest no?

Not that I have a huge issue with your suggestion but I still think it stymies Dansby's real playmaking ability and that hurts the defense.

I think maybe we agree that the best situation here is to kind of let Davis run wild and try to hold him down after he catches all the passes that will come his way and accept this as the matchup that we cannot do much about?

Genus49

Reaction score
I don't think you guys have anything to worry about in Davis. So far he's just all talk and I wish he would shut the f*ck up.

I was upset that the niners drafted him. Yeah he has big time potential and great speed and strength and all that crap but the kid is on the wrong side of cocky. There's one thing about having confidence there's another thing about being a flat out pain in the a$$ for not only the opposing teams but your own teammates(Larry Allen)

The guy hasn't proven anything in the league yet and constantly dropped crucial passes last season. For every great play he had I can name a dropped 3rd down pass :mad:

Nothing more frustrating than seeing a guy beat coverage only to drop a pass right in his hands.

Hopefully Wilson will shadow Davis and leave Frank more running lanes.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy, Genus. No cussing here please.

Cubbie, I think you've got the right idea in how to deal with Davis. I'm much more worried about Frank Gore running wild against us.

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
I cant stand Davis already. Maybe I got a sour taste of T.O.itis still but this kid hasnt proved anything to me yet. At least T.O. proved himself before turning to a cornholio. Davis is on my shitlist right now until he proves me otherwise.... I honestly dont mind someone to lay the wood on him (not to injure him because we do need him) but just hard enough to show him that he's in the NFL and he cant run his mouth like that

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I cant stand Davis already. Maybe I got a sour taste of T.O.itis still but this kid hasnt proved anything to me yet. At least T.O. proved himself before turning to a cornholio. Davis is on my shitlist right now until he proves me otherwise.... I honestly dont mind someone to lay the wood on him (not to injure him because we do need him) but just hard enough to show him that he's in the NFL and he cant run his mouth like that

Eh, it already happened last year. Griffith cleaned his clock, and he's still cocky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05