Vernon Davis

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it me or in 10 years is this guy going to be the NFL's version of Dennis Rodman?

I just don't get the guy. He makes the great catch for the TD, then gets the dumb penalty. Later in the game he's beat his man for the TD, the ball is out in front, and he just gives up on the play, doesn't stretch, doesn't dive. You could hear the confusion on the announcers like what the hell, why didn't he lay out for that ball?

If I'm Shaun Hill and my TE does that to me, I don't know if I can trust him again?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Later in the game he's beat his man for the TD, the ball is out in front, and he just gives up on the play, doesn't stretch, doesn't dive. You could hear the confusion on the announcers like what the hell, why didn't he lay out for that ball?
Yeah, that was weird. No effort at all to get it. It even look like he short-armed it.

The announcers seemed like they were trying to be super-nice about it...Jaws seemed like he was just dumbfounded.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He definitely strikes me as a wierdo. It really doesn't get much dumber, or more selfish, than taking your helmet off on the field.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No Diving....

I don't know anything about Vernon Davis college career but this I do know; Some guys are divers and some aren't. It seems to be an instinctive move that some just do naturally. Others DON'T! Over the years I've seen sooooooooo many just-out-of-reach catches. DIVE!! DIVE!! I would scream at the TV. (I used to play softball and made many diving catches in the out-field) But the pass would fall incomplete and I'd think, For crying out-loud, do you want your QB to gift-wrap it for you, too. :bang:

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On 2nd thought, Rodman is not the right guy the right guy is David Boston.

There was some talk last year that before a game, I mean minutes before, some of the D guys spotted Vernon in the locker room, shirt off, oil on his chest and arms, posing in front of the mirror flexing.

Remember how fascinated Boston was with body building and how he didn't seem to care if it was hurting his career in football?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
yeah - this guy doesn't seem to be mentally there - i also think he blew his assignment on the shovel pass int - you can see him just kind of standing there on the play looking confused and then they showed him on the sidelines with the coaches talking to him and then him just looking confused swearing to himself

i think he just doesn't get it

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing brought me more joy last night than screaming profanities at the guy.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On 2nd thought, Rodman is not the right guy the right guy is David Boston.

There was some talk last year that before a game, I mean minutes before, some of the D guys spotted Vernon in the locker room, shirt off, oil on his chest and arms, posing in front of the mirror flexing.

Remember how fascinated Boston was with body building and how he didn't seem to care if it was hurting his career in football?
Yeah, Rodman was actually productive. The guy was a winner. DB and VD, not so much.

freebyrd

Reaction score
would you trade Q for vernon davis and a first and third round pick?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
would you trade Q for vernon davis and a first and third round pick?

Throw in another 1st and Cut Davis after the trade. Yes. Especially since their 1st round picks should be high.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
So he makes a great play, then does something so dumb he all but ruins it?

He must be their version of Dansby.

:D

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How DARE you compare him to The Worm?!?

Dennis Rodman is the best rebounder of all-time.

Vernon Davis hasn't done a damn thing, and wont do a damn thing his entire career.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How DARE you compare him to The Worm?!?

Dennis Rodman is the best rebounder of all-time.

I already retracted it but best rebounder of all time? You gotta be kidding me?

Best rebounder of his era maybe, helps when you tip the ball to yourself over and over. But check out some of the rebound numbers from guys like Wilt and Russell.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best.

(pure)

Rebounder.

All-time.

What's a pure rebounder, someone who doesn't do anything but rebound?

Wilt has more than twice as many rebounds in his career. Even if you adjust for FG% by era that doesn't account for the difference.

Rodman was a great rebounder but best of all time is hard for me to say when you look at the numbers of Wilt and Russell.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The guy has all the talent/ability in the world he's just too much of a self-promoting punk to make the most of it...

it's a shame.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Vernon Davis college career but this I do know; Some guys are divers and some aren't. It seems to be an instinctive move that some just do naturally. Others DON'T! Over the years I've seen sooooooooo many just-out-of-reach catches. DIVE!! DIVE!! I would scream at the TV. (I used to play softball and made many diving catches in the out-field) But the pass would fall incomplete and I'd think, For crying out-loud, do you want your QB to gift-wrap it for you, too. :bang:

The guys who don't dive generally don't play at this level.
You can somewhat understand alligator arm syndrome, when you have a safety that has a bead on you, it becomes a survival instinct, but I can't remember witnessing a bail-out like the one Davis had.

That was just a "screw you, I'm not getting my jersey dirty".

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is referred to as VD, for obvious reasons because those are his initials. He may also be showing classic symptoms of VD in advanced syphilis or gonorrhea. Mental lapses in concentration. Illogical behavior.