Very Exciting Times: The Draft and What's This...

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt, but with the draft coming up, the Cardinals moving in a new direction, the beautiful weather, and the chicks starting to wear next to nothing...things are almost right with the world again.

In fact...in a couple more weeks EVERYTHING will be "RIGHT" in the world!!!
You see...it is now officially 5150 TIME!!! Whoo-Hoo!!!

Official Van Halen Page

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
AZ Shocker

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Holy Sniekies! A "football board" in the off-season and nobody cares about the Mighty Van Halen?
Is there not any 30-somethings on this board? :shrug:
Surely there's got to be a few Cardinals fans of great rock music. :D

Arrgghhh! Oh man...perhaps my 22 year old sister-in-law was right.
Rock n' Roll is dead and Rap is king. Arrgghhh....The apocolpse is indeed upon us. :devil:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Pshhh... as a teenager very well in tune with pop culture as of late, I can assure you that rock n' roll is nowhere near dead. It only coexists with rap.

--Solar

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Surely there's got to be a few Cardinals fans of great rock music.
It starts a little bit earlier than Von Halen, m'man.

Suggest you scour the Internet pool of MP3 download for guys like Robert Johnson, Charley Patton, Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Leadbelly, Jimmy Reed, JP Lenoir, Howling Wolf etc. Then we can move on to Eric Clapton, Duane Allman, the Winters brothers, Steve Morse, Albert Lee and, oh yeah, Von Halen.

And while we're at it, leave us not forget the other musical tradition that takes you thru Django Rhinehart, Charley Christian, Wes Montgomery, John Schofield etc. etc. and so on.

And if your sister has an open mind, have her check out some things by a young trumpeter named Russell Gunn who blends in hard bop with hip hop.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
AZ Shocker said:
Sorry to interrupt, but with the draft coming up, the Cardinals moving in a new direction, the beautiful weather, and the chicks starting to wear next to nothing...things are almost right with the world again.

In fact...in a couple more weeks EVERYTHING will be "RIGHT" in the world!!!
You see...it is now officially 5150 TIME!!! Whoo-Hoo!!!

Official Van Halen Page

You must be registered for see images

I'm the king of thirty somethings on this board. At 35, I'm in my thirtysomething prime.

Saw Van Halen (with the red rocker singing lead) at the Texas Jam back in 86'. A good show.

However, nothing matches the original Van Halen with David Lee Roth. "So this is Love" is one of the top 10 rock and roll songs of all time. :D

Roth was so cool. I mean, his coolness came through in the music.

Last edited:

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Van Halen became mostly irrelevant in 1985 when Dave left/got fired...they became totally irrelevant in 1996 after Sammy left/was fired.

This fan - who first saw VH in 1981 - will pass on whatever Eddie and Alex are trying to pass off as "Van Halen" these days.

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Saw my first VH show in 1981 with Diamond Dave. WOW.

Saw VH again with Roth on the 1984 tour. WOW.

Saw VH with Sammy on the 5150 tour. Huh?

Saw VH again with Sammy on the F.U.C. K. tour. OK

Didn't waste my time or money on the VHIII tour with Cherone.

After all these years and BS from these guys, and steadily declining music (Can you actually say "Balance" was a good album? I won't even get into the vomit that was VHIII) I have moved on.

I would have been interested to see VH with Dave but I am not really interested with Sammy. Funny thing is that I like Sammy alot.

I would much rather buy CD's from and see bands like TNT (www.tnttheband.com) or Harem Scarem who both get no play in the USA and I do not understand why.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinal Bob said:
Van Halen became mostly irrelevant in 1985 when Dave left/got fired...they became totally irrelevant in 1996 after Sammy left/was fired.

This fan - who first saw VH in 1981 - will pass on whatever Eddie and Alex are trying to pass off as "Van Halen" these days.

Agreed on both counts, original VH was better, but after Sammy left they lost all credibility. Flirting with Roth again, that fell through, the other singer, then flirting with Sammy again etc.

I used to wish Led Zeppelin would reunite with Jason Bonham on drums, but over the years I've grown to think that those reunited things tend to suck.

There's still some good rock out there today, Godsmack to name one, but it does seem like there's way too much pop.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Agreed on both counts, original VH was better, but after Sammy left they lost all credibility. Flirting with Roth again, that fell through, the other singer, then flirting with Sammy again etc.

I used to wish Led Zeppelin would reunite with Jason Bonham on drums, but over the years I've grown to think that those reunited things tend to suck.

There's still some good rock out there today, Godsmack to name one, but it does seem like there's way too much pop.

The reunited things may suck most of the time, but a Zep reunion, if only for one tour, would be great for those of us fans who were only 12 when John Bonham died, and therefore never got to see them live. I'm a 70's and 80's rock guy (still love some of the Hair Bands), Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Rush, Scorpions, Tesla, Def Leppard. I don't like most of the stuff from the 90's and later though there were a few bands that put out some good stuff (STP, Pearl Jam, etc). I'm a huge Creed fan now.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Ahhh Van Halen

Overall great group. Sam Halen made some good music. David Lee Roth and Van Halen made great! music. Did some artwork for Dave, great guy opposed to what anyone said hear say wise. Saw a recent tour of Dave's and it was really good. Saw Dave and Sammy together and both were just O.K. Glad Sammy is back but it is not Van Halen. It is good music but it is far from Van Halen with Dave.

Rock on Cardinals!!! "Ahh come on Dave, give me a break...one break coming up!!!"

Cardsmasochist

Full Throttle!!
Reaction score
David Lee Roth was on the Sopranos last Sunday

So was Lawrence Taylor. They were playing poker.

Give me Jane's Addiction, Nirvana, Sublime and the White Stripes.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Well, since this post hasn't been moved yet, I'll contribute.

I saw Van Halen with Dave back in 1984 (edit: actually 1985) at the 2 day Monsters of Rock Festival in Frankfurt, Germany. Great show!!!

I didn't initially care much for Sammy with the band, but I have to admit that they put out of couple of great songs.

I saw dave solo on his Skyscraper tour (a surprisingly decent album that I still listen to occasionally). Frankly, I think he inhaled a few too many chemicals over his life and has lost whatever edge he once had. His show was very....artificial.

Needless to say, a VH reunion doesn't exactly get me too excited.

Having been to hundreds of concerts over my life, seeing everyone from Aha to Iron Maiden to Vince Gill and even Neil Diamond-twice :rolleyes:, I have to say my concert days are pretty much over.... Unless Springsteen happens to be playing nearby, or Buffett, or .....

Go Cards!!!

Last edited:

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Van Hagar should be banned. BRING BACK DAVE!!!! :D
Agreed

Jetstream Green said:
Sam Halen made some good music. David Lee Roth and Van Halen made great!
Agreed

Cardinal Bob said:
Van Halen became mostly irrelevant in 1985 when Dave left/got fired
and agreed...

Once Mr. Edward Van Halen made it clear that the singer was not the problem and that anyone in that position was, I just gave up... "All about Eddie" should be the group name now and for me, it's all about Eddie not getting my money...
:moon:

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
Saw Van Halen in 1980 and they rocked, but if you are a old rocker like me give me Deep Purple, Yes, REO, Led Zep, The Winters brothers, CCR, Kansas, Head East, Rush (2112) Beatles, The Band. Now those were rock bands!!!

:moon: We did this in the 70's!!

CARDS CZAR :band:

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
put me in the Van Halen column also. David Lee always has and alsays will bring out the best in Eddie's guitar. Plus he's a better singer than Sammy too. DLR brings the soulful and R&B influence to the band that set them apart from the other bands of that genre'. I like, respect, and much prefer Sammy Hagar as a solo artist.

OP
OP
AZ Shocker

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good stuff fella's! Glad to see there are some rock fans here. I expected it. :thumbup:

I'm surprised so many here don't like Sam. I was mad for like one week back in 1985 when they kicked Dave out, but VH made it way easy for me to continue being a Van Halen fan. I started being a VH fan back in 1981 so you would think that I would hate Sam. Just look at my signature! Any guesses as to where that came from?

For those who give a rats-ass (Love saying that...thanks Jake), keep this in mind if your considering buying tickets for the Aug. 5th show here in Phoenix. The last album with Sam that sold 3 million copies was VH's worst selling albums with Sam as the singer (Nonetheless 3 mill not too shabby in a day when grunge ruled). However it still only took a measley 55 minutes to sell-out America West Arena. They came back latter that summer and sold-out Desert Sky Pavillion. So if your thinking of going....don't be late! :) Still waiting for word when duckets go on sale for Phoenix! Late...

Okay resume Cardinal talk...I'll be back after I get those tickets!!!

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Surely there's got to be a few Cardinals fans of great rock music.
It starts a little bit earlier than Von Halen, m'man.
Deep Purple, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Stones the list goes on and Van Halen is somewhat of an after thought by comparison.

NFL_FAN

NFL_FAN
Reaction score
Big Vah Halen fan but currently only own best of and play it loudly.

Informal poll - Was/is Valerie Bertinelli hot? I think Eddie could have done quite a bit better physically. Maybe she is his true emotional/mental soul mate? I would have gone through Pamela, Carmen and a plethera of others before settling on Valerie. :confused:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Solar7 said:
Pshhh... as a teenager very well in tune with pop culture as of late, I can assure you that rock n' roll is nowhere near dead. It only coexists with rap.

--Solar

You can find the best current Rock and Roll right here:

http://www.pro-rock.com/

Clutch Rocks!
:thumbup:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
CardFan67 said:
Once Mr. Edward Van Halen made it clear that the singer was not the problem and that anyone in that position was, I just gave up... "All about Eddie" should be the group name now and for me, it's all about Eddie not getting my money...
:moon:

Plus he is the most overrated guitarist I have ever seen!

Ugh! The guy rights one "semi-complicated" solo and he is the best?

He couldn't lick Dimebag Darrell's boots.

Peace
:thumbup:

BTW - And Eddie is a jerkface!

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Eddie is a jerk though

Eddie made Dave look like a self-centered pr!ck and said he left the group... that was far from the truth and they screwed him again at the MTV awards. Eddie screwed over Sammy ugly and they screwd over the guy from Extreme who simply let Eddie have all the control and you know what that album sounds like. Eddie is an guitar innovator and very good but can't function on his own and he is the one with the attitude problem. I wish Sammy the best in the reunion but history says it won't be long before little Edward has a fit. I was a fan of the Great David Lee Roth Van Halen and bought all the albums of the Good Sam Halen but as a fan- Eddie broke this group up and I won't forget it.

OP
OP
AZ Shocker

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Plus he is the most overrated guitarist I have ever seen!
Ohhhh, now that's just sacrilegious! :hulk:

Regarding the Dave vs. Sam vs. Eddie thing...
WHO CARES, it's Rock n' Roll man!!! Every band goes through that kind of crap. They're one of the All-time Top 5 or 6 selling rock groups out there (61,200,000 albums sold), and will sell-out every city this summer!

Intersting factiod: Top Album Sales in U.S.
1. The Beatles - 164.50 million copies sold
2. Led Zepplin - 105 million copies sold
3. Garth Brooks - 104 million copies sold
4. Elvis Presley - 86.50 million copies sold
5. The Eagles - 83.50 million copies sold
6. Billy Joel - 76.50 million copies sold
7. Pink Floyd - 72.50 million copies sold
8. Barbara Streisand - 67 million copies sold
9. Elton John - 64.50 million copies sold
10. AC/DC - 63 million copies sold
11. Van Halen - 61.2 million copies sold
12. Aerosmith - 60.50 million copies sold
13. Madonna - 59 million copies sold
14. Micheal Jackson - 57 million copies sold
15. Bruce Springsteen - 56.50 million copies sold
16. The Rolling Stones - 53.50 million copies sold
17. Mariah Carey - 53 million copies sold
18. Whitney Houston - 52 million copies sold
19a. George Striat - 50.50 million copies sold
19b. Kenny Rogers - 50.50 million copies sold
20. Neil Diamond - 49 million copies sold

Okay... I don't want to type the entire list, but thought that was interesting. If you wanna know how many albums a certain band has sold...ask, and I'll post it from the list I have. You'd be surprised of how many of the "Big names" are waaayyyy down on the list.

Anyways...I suggest the casual fans foget about the "soap opera", lighten up on the fella's, and go have fun at the show! :)

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Speaking of David Lee Roth. He was on this past Sunday's episode of the Sopranos in a bit part. He was a participant in one of their poker games. Lawrence Taylor was on also playing poker.

I am turning 40 years old in August. I was a huge Van Halen fan. I also liked Sammy Hagar. But when David Lee Roth was dismissed and Hagar took over it didn't go over well with me. It was truly the band Van Hagar.

Not into what they pass off as music these days. I long for the 70's & 80's type Rock & Roll music.