Vote on who U think Cards pick in Rnd 2 Pick 38

Who will the Cards end up with, with #38th overall pick

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I've seen mocks put him in the third round pretty consistently for the past month or so.

That's madness to me. Because of a poor bench press and 40 time at his Pro Day?

Total madness. I hope the Cards pick him up in the 3rd. I'm going Bobby Massie Watch on Demontre Moore.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's madness to me. Because of a poor bench press and 40 time at his Pro Day?

Total madness. I hope the Cards pick him up in the 3rd. I'm going Bobby Massie Watch on Demontre Moore.

I'm with you he's be an excellent pickup in the third.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't want to bitch and moan about this. If you need the last word and a victory lap, you can have it.

I'd guess that Keim and Arians are concerned about their ILB depth more than they are concerned about their run defense. Now they're less concerned about their ILB depth, and their 2nd round draft pick is likely to start at least the first four games of the 2013 season.

I agree with you about greater needs at rush LB, TE, and S. Clarify the bolded above for me though. Improving ILB depth does help our run defense doesn't it? I thought ILB's main job was to stop the rush?

Monty

2010 Cardinals Draft Guru
Reaction score
I don't want to bitch and moan about this. If you need the last word and a victory lap, you can have it.

I'd guess that Keim and Arians are concerned about their ILB depth more than they are concerned about their run defense. Now they're less concerned about their ILB depth, and their 2nd round draft pick is likely to start at least the first four games of the 2013 season.

Who is bitching and moaning? for the record I thought we were having a civil debate about the Cards defense and its needs.

From what Keim and Arians have repeatedly said they wont pick a depth guy in the first three rounds so this is not a depth pick. They see Minter as a potential immediate starter.

I will now graciously accept that victory lap haha :D. Btw I'm just yanking you're chain you shouldn't take it so seriously.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I agree with you about greater needs at rush LB, TE, and S. Clarify the bolded above for me though. Improving ILB depth does help our run defense doesn't it? I thought ILB's main job was to stop the rush?

Depth, to me, means where the team is going to be 2-4 years from now than it is in week 2. Jasper Brinkley, Daryl Washington, and Reggie Walker are adequate depth if you add a 5-7 round pick, because ILBs are plentiful in free agency every year and veterans are largely plug-and-play.

But this is like saying that we added Frostee Rucker because we wanted to help our run defense. Rucker will be fortunate to see 20% of the total defensive snaps. If Washington isn't suspended, Minter would be lucky to see that many snaps this year.

But we have no depth going forward at ILB beyond 2013 because Walker's scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent. I like Walker. Depth is depth. I don't know if Minter will be able to push Brinkley for his starting job this year, but he should be able to next year.

If anything, I bet that Minter is going to be stronger in coverage and might start as a nickel linebacker over Brinkley. Even this year.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Depth, to me, means where the team is going to be 2-4 years from now than it is in week 2. Jasper Brinkley, Daryl Washington, and Reggie Walker are adequate depth if you add a 5-7 round pick, because ILBs are plentiful in free agency every year and veterans are largely plug-and-play.

But this is like saying that we added Frostee Rucker because we wanted to help our run defense. Rucker will be fortunate to see 20% of the total defensive snaps. If Washington isn't suspended, Minter would be lucky to see that many snaps this year.

But we have no depth going forward at ILB beyond 2013 because Walker's scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent. I like Walker. Depth is depth. I don't know if Minter will be able to push Brinkley for his starting job this year, but he should be able to next year.

If anything, I bet that Minter is going to be stronger in coverage and might start as a nickel linebacker over Brinkley. Even this year.

Ahh ok. I see what you're saying now. Thanks. Yeah with that in mind it does look like that depth may have been a motivation for this pick for Keim and Arians.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I watched tape of our defense last year, and I'm telling you that the reason we were gashed against the run was on purpose, because we were primarily concerned about rattling the QB. It wasn't a personnel problem, it was a SYSTEM problem.

I get a kick out of the people who rationalize dismantling the secondary by claiming the run defense was poor and then downgrade potential LBs who are stout against the run by saying their coverage skills are poor.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Did Demontre Moore murder a busload of children and it got swept under the rug? Does he have an injury? This dude was a Top 10 pick like three months ago.
My scout buddy used one word to describe Moore to me a in a text: idiot.

With Montgomery he said strange guy. Was about the weirdest interview he's ever had at the combine. Almost bipolar.