• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
D.J. Swearinger from the real USC.
Phillip Thomas from Fresno State.
Shamarko Thomas from Syracuse.

They're not as good safties (I'm gonna slow my roll on the SS/FS distinction until I see what kind of D Bowles favors) as Cyprien, but they're fine prospects.

The good news is that if we get Moore, Okafor, or Hunt, then whatever safties we have won't need to cover so long.

That's the cost of BPA.

Agreed. Deep safety class, and it would be smart for the Cardinals to take advantage of that. Consider that no matter who we take at S from this point on, we will still be worse at S in 2013 than we were in 2012. That being said, if you can get a front 7 pressure player in the 2nd, it takes a ton of pressure off the secondary in general.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
1. Demontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M
2. Zack Ertz, TE, Stanford
3. Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International
4. Margus Hunt, DT, SMU(?)
5. Alex Okafor, DE/OLB, Texas

Yes please.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Agreed. Deep safety class, and it would be smart for the Cardinals to take advantage of that. Consider that no matter who we take at S from this point on, we will still be worse at S in 2013 than we were in 2012. That being said, if you can get a front 7 pressure player in the 2nd, it takes a ton of pressure off the secondary in general.
agree.

We could still bring back Rhodes possibly.

I would be thrilled with Ertz, as I think our o would be very good.

Olb or ol.

Monty

2010 Cardinals Draft Guru
Reaction score
Think they would really like a edge rusher or an inside Linebacker. With how I think the draft will play out I think they go with ILB Kevin Minter, who I think would be tremendous value at #38. Underrated player imo.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Think they would really like a edge rusher or an inside Linebacker. With how I think the draft will play out I think they go with ILB Kevin Minter, who I think would be tremendous value at #38. Underrated player imo.

Why do people keep saying this? For special teams purposes? Jasper Brinkley is under contract for two more seasons, and two-down linebackers are readily available in free agency at a steep discount every year.

I think the team would like to draft a developmental ILB for special teams and depth and maybe to push Brinkley, but I wouldn't do that with a second round pick when there are better players at need positions at rush linebacker, tight end, and safety.

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked, though I would be disappointed, if the Cards drafte Tennessee's Justin Hunter with our next pick. Big play WR who could actually stretch the field out of the slot.

Monty

Reaction score
Why do people keep saying this? For special teams purposes? Jasper Brinkley is under contract for two more seasons, and two-down linebackers are readily available in free agency at a steep discount every year.

I think the team would like to draft a developmental ILB for special teams and depth and maybe to push Brinkley, but I wouldn't do that with a second round pick when there are better players at need positions at rush linebacker, tight end, and safety.

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked, though I would be disappointed, if the Cards drafte Tennessee's Justin Hunter with our next pick. Big play WR who could actually stretch the field out of the slot.

For what its worth, I was referring to what I think the Cards will do rather than what I would like to see them do, two completely separate thoughts.

Addressing your question directly, this division has several big, physical running backs and very mobile quarterbacks, two entities against whom we struggled mighty last year. The rest of the league is moving towards this direction with several teams already there. Our run defense was very poor last year and so far we havent done anything to shore up our weaknesses in this department. Though I do think that Jasper Brinkley is decent against the run (mostly due to him having GOOD instincts and snuffing plays out just as they are developing), his range is very limited and his play in space to me looks poor leading me to believe he will not improve our run defense especially when you look at the teams that we'll play at least 6 times this season. I believe the Cards knowing that Washington is out for a quarter of the season and having nobody capable of starting other than Brinkley at two critical spots for our defense, could go with Minter who could start immediately and if he out performs Brinkley go to his more natural spot at SILB when D-Wash returns.

I personally wasnt a fan of the Brinkley acquisition and think Minter would be a longterm upgrade over him.

Last edited:

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score

Ertz and Hunter both have great appeal to me, but I do think we'll go OLB or S.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
For what its worth, I was referring to what I think the Cards will do rather than what I would like to see them do, two completely separate thoughts. I personally would pick Minter at that spot just because the way i'm projecting this round to play out, Minter would be BPA for me at where we are picking.

Addressing your question directly, this division has several big, physical running backs and very mobile quarterbacks, two entities against whom we struggled mighty last year. Our general run defense was very poor last year and so far we havent done anything to shore up our weaknesses in this department. Though I do think that Jasper Brinkley is quite good against the run (mostly due to him having GOOD instincts and snuffing plays out just as they are developing), his range is very limited and his play in space to me looks poor. I believe the Cards knowing that Washington is out for a quarter of the season and having nobody capable of starting other than Brinkley could go with Minter as he could start immediately and if he out performs Brinkley go to his more natural spot at SILB when D-Wash returns.

In terms of my personal thinking I didnt really think Brinkley was a good acquisition and think Minter would be a longterm upgrade over him.

Ugh. Do we have to go though this again?

Our run defense last year was poor on purpose. We spent a ton of time in a 2-4-5 alignment that the opposition happily just ran against over and over, because once the lead grew to more than 3 points, it was effectively insurmountable.

On a YPC basis, we were T19th. Not great, but not awful. Teams just ran on us over and over again because we couldn't score against anybody, so why bother putting your QB at risk?

Monty

Reaction score
Ugh. Do we have to go though this again?

Our run defense last year was poor on purpose. We spent a ton of time in a 2-4-5 alignment that the opposition happily just ran against over and over, because once the lead grew to more than 3 points, it was effectively insurmountable.

On a YPC basis, we were T19th. Not great, but not awful. Teams just ran on us over and over again because we couldn't score against anybody, so why bother putting your QB at risk?

I can see that part of the reason why our rush defense poor (and it was poor) was partly because of the position that the defense was put in time and time again. However, anybody who watches any tape of our defense last year could see that our front seven was regularly getting gashed even in the first quarter of games. If you watch tape of our home game against the 49'ers it wont take you long to see how our our linebackers couldnt shed block to save their lives and how easily the SF guards were pushing the middle of our defense back almost every time they rushed. SF is elite in doing this I know but the same can be seen against St Louis, Seattle and several other teams. Our linebackers struggled in shooting into the gaps they were assigned and were regularly taking terrible angles to the ball carrier.

This is a clear weakness no matter how anyone tries to dress up and the Cards will address this, be it through scheme adjustments or personnel changes. We currently have no linebackers that are really any good at shedding blocks and getting to the ball carriers. D-Wash is very instinctive and reads the game so well but engaging and shedding blockers is not a strength of his and ive already mentioned Brinkley's weaknesses in this department. I believe Minter would be an improvement on Brinkley for this reason as well as believing that Minter would be a far better player in space and in coverage.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
1. Demontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M
2. Zack Ertz, TE, Stanford
3. Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International
4. Margus Hunt, DT, SMU(?)
5. Alex Okafor, DE/OLB, Texas

And Justin Hunter was another guy I liked. Yucky beginning for Round 2 for the Cards.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I can see that part of the reason why our rush defense poor (and it was poor) was partly because of the position that the defense was put in time and time again. However, anybody who watches any tape of our defense last year could see that our front seven was regularly getting gashed even in the first quarter of games. If you watch tape of our home game against the 49'ers it wont take you long to see how our our linebackers couldnt shed block to save their lives and how easily the SF guards were pushing the middle of our defense back almost every time they rushed. SF is elite in doing this I know but the same can be seen against St Louis, Seattle and several other teams. Our linebackers struggled in shooting into the gaps they were assigned and were regularly taking terrible angles to the ball carrier.

This is a clear weakness no matter how anyone tries to dress up and the Cards will address this, be it through scheme adjustments or personnel changes. We currently have no linebackers that are really any good at shedding blocks and getting to the ball carriers. D-Wash is very instinctive and reads the game so well but engaging and shedding blockers is not a strength of his and ive already mentioned Brinkley's weaknesses in this department. I believe Minter would be an improvement on Brinkley for this reason as well as believing that Minter would be a far better player in space and in coverage.

I watched tape of our defense last year, and I'm telling you that the reason we were gashed against the run was on purpose, because we were primarily concerned about rattling the QB. It wasn't a personnel problem, it was a SYSTEM problem.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Traded with San Diego. Looks like we might go ILB.

EDIT: Whoops. Looks like the trade fell through or something.

RE-EDIT: Okay, so now it's a Charger pick again.

Monty

Reaction score
I watched tape of our defense last year, and I'm telling you that the reason we were gashed against the run was on purpose, because we were primarily concerned about rattling the QB. It wasn't a personnel problem, it was a SYSTEM problem.

With the 45th in pick the 2013 draft the Cardinals select Kevin Minter ILB

:D

That is all.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
With the 45th in pick the 2013 draft the Cardinals select Kevin Minter ILB

:D

That is all.

:shrug: You were right on the player; we'll never know if you're right on the reasoning.

I talked myself into the pick on a different thread. Brinkley's under contract only through 2014, Reggie Walker is only under contract through 2013, and there's nobody behind those two. Also, Daryl Washington is going to be out the scene for the first month of the season.

Have to do something. Minter's been really productive, even if he's a little undersized.

Monty

Reaction score
:shrug: You were right on the player; we'll never know if you're right on the reasoning.

I talked myself into the pick on a different thread. Brinkley's under contract only through 2014, Reggie Walker is only under contract through 2013, and there's nobody behind those two. Also, Daryl Washington is going to be out the scene for the first month of the season.

Have to do something. Minter's been really productive, even if he's a little undersized.

Well let's see. The Cards couldnt have been content with the current personnel situation at ILB if they use their second round pick on an ILB, especially considering the fact that Keim & Arians have stated that they expect the players picked in rounds 1-3 to start. You seemed flabbergasted at the thought of the Cards selecting an ILB in the second round just over an hour ago!

Unless Arians & Keim come out and expressly state their reason for the pick we wont know for sure, but we know for sure that like me they rate Minter highly and could see a need for an ILB in the second round when you argued the following instead

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Well let's see. The Cards couldnt have been content with the current personnel situation at ILB if they use their second round pick on an ILB, especially considering the fact that Keim & Arians have stated that they expect the players picked in rounds 1-3 to start. You seemed flabbergasted at the thought of the Cards selecting an ILB in the second round just over an hour ago!

Unless Arians & Keim come out and expressly state their reason for the pick we wont know for sure but we know for sure that like me they could see a need for a ILB in the second round which you clearly didnt.

I don't want to bitch and moan about this. If you need the last word and a victory lap, you can have it.

I'd guess that Keim and Arians are concerned about their ILB depth more than they are concerned about their run defense. Now they're less concerned about their ILB depth, and their 2nd round draft pick is likely to start at least the first four games of the 2013 season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Did Demontre Moore murder a busload of children and it got swept under the rug? Does he have an injury? This dude was a Top 10 pick like three months ago.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Did Demontre Moore murder a busload of children and it got swept under the rug? Does he have an injury? This dude was a Top 10 pick like three months ago.

I've seen mocks put him in the third round pretty consistently for the past month or so.