Warner a Fraud?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know the letter of collusion rules/laws but "did you offer Kurt a contract" doesn't seem to be crossing any lines. "How much" would cross the line but I don't see a problem with saying they've made an offer or are considering making an offer. Maybe it is, but I don't think it is.
I understand the skepticism but Warner has never been one to play games with contracts or in what he is thinking. Maybe he was desperate and broke from his usual way of doing things. It's possible. The thing that's bugging me about the he said/he said is McCloughan keeps denying specifics and saying things like "formal" offer.

Dayman's Mercury News link really makes it looks like McCloughan is practicing spin. It was a win-win? He's glad they did it? Maybe both sides are fudging the truth but Warner's comments seem to be straight forward to me while McCloughan seems to be politicking.

Well sure but both sides are doing this.

An example, SF asks Warner and his agent what they want, they say 30 million 20 guaranteed. Warner's agent then leaks to Clayton that SF offered that. Yes technically they "discussed" those numbers but it doesn't mean SF ever offered it or even considered it.

I have no idea if that's what happened but you have to understand the dynamics here, the Bay area media do NOT like McCloughan, they call him McClueless. They joke about Marathe (nobody seems to know what he actually does), they laugh about the search for an OC etc. They have absolutely no problem ripping the 49ers when the situation warrants it, hell th default is rip the 49ers. In this case they're even saying McCloughan sounds confused, but I have yet to see anybody say they don't believe McCloughan when he says we never made them an offer. They don't believe his claim that the 49ers didn't use them, largely because 49er people are telling the media they're pissed that Warner used them. But nobody seems to think McCloughan is lying about the contract offer never happening and there's a lot of writers here who would love to catch him in that lie.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course not. Why would there be? It's just talk to the media and fans to put spin on a situation.

It might not even be allowed under NFL rules to put it in a contract.

But I'm not surprised, all's fair in contract negotiations.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
It might not even be allowed under NFL rules to put it in a contract.
I'm pretty sure Schefter said it wasn't allowed but that Warner could always restructure if he wanted to do something like that.

Urban said pretty much the same thing but boiled it down to Warner won't likely be giving Boldin any money.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but I seriously doubt, if I asked God if I should remain a social worker or get back into acting, that he'd answer me.

I don't know, has God ever seen you act?

(or perhaps he has, and that's why the social worker gig opened up for you ;))

JTS

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't know, has God ever seen you act?

(or perhaps he has, and that's why the social worker gig opened up for you ;))

JTS

He told me that the bliss of my talent would scar the minds of society with my perfection. Or I could work with troubled youth. Hey, I took the high road ;)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kills me is the Cards could've signed me to a 23 year deal for 23 million dollars. But, instead, they choose to kill their cap with this deal for Warner just because he's played QB in the NFL before.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI ESPN is reporting that Warner has informed the Cards he'll take a 1 million per season paycut as promised if the Cards use the money to sign Boldin to a new deal.

So it does appear Kurt is willing to do what he said he would on that.