Warner/Bartelstein: NEW OFFER TO CARDS!! (reasonable)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh. 10M was reasonable.

They used SF for leverage.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! Gotta love the agent is now making the offers.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
The most interesting concession is giving up $1 million in each of the years if the Cardinals re-sign Anquan Boldin. That may be unprecedented IMO and really indicates what Kurt thinks of Anquan.

Warner also instructed Bartelstein to tell the Cardinals that he would give up $1 million in each year of the deal if the team re-signed receiver Anquan Boldin

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
“It’s a home run for the team,” Bartelstein said. “It’s much less than we can get on the market. We’re hoping we’re going to get a ‘yes.’”

:lmao:

Riiiiiight.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most interesting concession is giving up $1 million in each of the years if the Cardinals re-sign Anquan Boldin. That may be unprecedented IMO and really indicates what Kurt thinks of Anquan.

So unprecendented that Fitz offered the same thing last month?

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This public offer puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the team to sign him. It's a bold move by his agent, but a good one.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“It’s a home run for the team,” Bartelstein said. “It’s much less than we can get on the market. We’re hoping we’re going to get a ‘yes.’”

:lmao:

Riiiiiight.

75% of being an agent is marketing.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's a slam dunk and is actually only 10.5/year if they re-sign Q. If he has a down year we can renegotiate next offseason to see if he wants to be a backup for 6M, if he has another great year then we are set to keep him.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure his agent is being honest that he could get more on the open market. My BEST GUESS is that the 49ers offered around 2 million more. Kurt isn't stupid and figures an ideal situation is worth 2 million less.

Whisenhunt has had a tremendous amount of control this off season (which he earned with taking us to the SB). Now we will see if Whisenhunt values Warner at this level.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If the report that the Cards upped their offer to around those numbers last night, and this is what the agent is offering, this should be a no brainer and should be done over lunch.

Just get this damn thing over with so we can focus on other free agents

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually like what Graves is doing by trying to put all of the guarenteed money on this coming season.

I may be wrong, but the way I understood it, Kurt's proposal would signify the end of the Leinart's career in Arizona unless the team really falls in love with him this year. Kurt will be counted for 6mill against the cap in 2010 next year no matter what happens and with Leinart's already high price for that season I am anxious to see what the Cards will do.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Here is what I found most interesting about the comments.

The offer his agent made is the same amount of money as the last offer we made when we bumped up the 20 mill to 23 mill. The difference is that we added 3 mill worth of incentives where as Warner is asking for the extra 3 mill straight up.

So the biggest hurdle has been jumped with the money between team and player being exactly the same. Now the haggle over structure of that money remains. Thats usually when things start to happen.

the_future23

Registered
Reaction score
Even though the trip was all leverage, I would do this deal and re-sign Boldin.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't that what we supposedly upped our offer to last night?

Regardless..it's a bit too much, but fair enough. Get it done or cut bait. I honestly don't care which way we go...just that we get going.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitz said he would restructure his deal. This is a player who in print is stating that he will take 2M less if it goes to Q.

Of course he did, he already had his deal. Both would modify their contracts (new or existing) to give money to Q. Doesn't seem all that unprecedented to me.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Warner's Agent releases contract info, has made counter-offer to Cards

This is breaking stuff, folks, and will really throw fuel on the fire:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2009/03/03/20090303warner.html

Here are some quick-hits:

-The 49ers did make him an offer and it was bigger than ours
-They supposedly still want to stay with the Cards
-Cards (supposedly) have been offering 2-year, $20 mill, $10 mill guaranteed, all guaranteed money in the 1st season
-Warner worried that it will make it too easy to get rid of him year two (duh!)
-Our increased offer was supposedly for $23 million, but was incentive-laden
-Counter-proposal That Bartlestein is offering the Cards is for 2 years $23 mill, with $12 mill guaranteed and split over the next two seasons, with $6 mill guaranteed in both year 1 and year 2
-Warner told agent to tell Cards he'd give up $1 mill in each year of the deal (not sure if that is salary or guaranteed money) if the club re-signs Q

Hmm. There is some stuff in here really good for the Cards and some stuff in here really bad for the Cards, IMO. The good:

-Wants to come back and will do so for less
-Willing to help out Q but is not using Q's status as a deal-breaker

The bad:
-$6 mill guaranteed in the 2nd year. I, and many of us, want him to get all the guaranteed money in the 1st year precisely so the team can cut him easier in the 2nd year if his play does drop. I can understand him wanting that guaranteed money in the second year, but I can also understand the team wanting to keep all the guaranteed money in year 1.

What now? I really don't know. I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable with $6 mill guaranteed in the 2nd year, but I'm not sure yet if it's unfair that he demands that. What I do like is that he wants to come back and his agent is trying to make that happen. We'll see where it goes from here!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
i have to admit it's a good play by the agent. However, Kurt is a quarterback and shouldn't be trying to tell the Cards what to with Boldin. Is he going to give up money for Dockett,AW, and Dansby as well? Worry about your own contract and let the FO,as scary as that sounds, worry about the rest.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i have to admit it's a good play by the agent. However, Kurt is a quarterback and shouldn't be trying to tell the Cards what to with Boldin. Is he going to give up money for Dockett,AW, and Dansby as well? Worry about your own contract and let the FO,as scary as that sounds, worry about the rest.
C'mon man, you know Graves needs all the help he can get.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05