Warner/Bartelstein: NEW OFFER TO CARDS!! (reasonable)

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I am sure his agent is being honest that he could get more on the open market. My BEST GUESS is that the 49ers offered around 2 million more. Kurt isn't stupid and figures an ideal situation is worth 2 million less.
Whisenhunt has had a tremendous amount of control this off season (which he earned with taking us to the SB). Now we will see if Whisenhunt values Warner at this level.

Yup, plus he can stay here and save $$$$. He'd also get a job for life (after his playing days) here if he wants it.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I dont like guaranteeing any portion of the 2nd year, but this is part of the give-and-take of the negotiating. They probably need to work on the structure where 75% of the money is guaranteed in the first year and 25% is guaranteed in the 2nd. Just seems fair to do when you are handling a 38 year old QB on a 2 year contract

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All he wants is 12 million guaranteed whats the deference ask Edge they can always cut you. So look at it as a one year deal Worth 12 million same thing IMO.

This type of money counts towards the cap, no matter if they are cut or not.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still dont like the 1 x $12M, whether as a one-year deal or effectively a two-year deal.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the split bonus thing...

wonder what Mr. Leinart is thinking about all of this? Will it create a desire to be traded ala Cutler?

Probably. Where will that leave us in 12 months when Kurt retires and we have no QB of the future?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Bartelstein came out iwth all these numbers and specifics but forgot one thing. Give us the numbers on the SF offer. Anyone can say they have a better offer. He's gone out of his way to say Warner will take pay cuts and so on, what was the offer? When i hear that,i'll believe him. I think SF actually offered less and now Bartelstein is trying to put a good face on Warner, which is his job, when he now knows the Cards are in the drivers seat.I guarantee the Cards know what the SF offer was.

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
While cool, Warners offer to let go of 1 mill per year if Boldin is re-signed is an empty one. First, you can’t put an incentive into a contract that makes it so his contract deducts 1 mill per year if Boldin is extended, you can only make performance or practice base incentives or decentives. Second, Warner knows darn well that he would sign a contract right away, meaning Cards have only hours to negotiate with Boldin, because Warner isn’t going to wait to sign his deal waiting maybe weeks for a Boldin deal to get done.

Again nice gesture but it isn’t a practical or feasible one in this case, unless he just takes the Cards word on it in a hand shake deal.
:yeahthat:My thoughts exactly, only more organized and coherent.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
As for the split bonus thing...

wonder what Mr. Leinart is thinking about all of this? Will it create a desire to be traded ala Cutler?

Nah, he is too busy not working out and not reading the playbook to care! :D

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's pretty clear that Matt and Kurt respect each other. I am guessing Matt will be ready in either case to do the job that pays him millions of dollars.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Even as a reputed Leinart backer I think this is a good compromise.

Do it Cards and lets move on to other areas.

Saxon079

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bartelstein came out iwth all these numbers and specifics but forgot one thing. Give us the numbers on the SF offer. Anyone can say they have a better offer. He's gone out of his way to say Warner will take pay cuts and so on, what was the offer? When i hear that,i'll believe him. I think SF actually offered less and now Bartelstein is trying to put a good face on Warner, which is his job, when he now knows the Cards are in the drivers seat.I guarantee the Cards know what the SF offer was.

Why would he take that risk. It will come out it always does. So the 9ers got a private Jet and limo all to offer less to a player that has said all along he does not want to go. Do you really believe that?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
It's pretty clear that Matt and Kurt respect each other. I am guessing Matt will be ready in either case to do the job that pays him millions of dollars.

My biggest fear. I REALLY hope he doesn't request a trade.

Just let it play out Matt. You will get your time this season guaranteed.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would he take that risk. It will come out it always does. So the 9ers got a private Jet and limo all to offer less to a player that has said all along he does not want to go. Do you really believe that?

Absolutely. Warner told us before the season ended that it was Cards or retirement. Do you think Warner is a liar now?

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't get the split bonus issue. How is it different than a $12M bonus over two years? Outside of that if we really upped the offer to $23M and we want to extend Boldin then this is a net increase of $1M or $21M. There is no reason you couldn't have a clause in that contract for a two million dollar roster bonus that kicks in if the team doesn't extend Boldin before a given date. Kurt & his agent wouldn't say this publically as an element of the contract if they didn't mean it.

If thats the case I do the deal but structure it over three years with some dummy money in year three to spread the cap hit over three years.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get the split bonus issue. How is it different than a $12M bonus over two years? Outside of that if we really upped the offer to $23M and we want to extend Boldin then this is a net increase of $1M or $21M. There is no reason you couldn't have a clause in that contract for a two million dollar roster bonus that kicks in if the team doesn't extend Boldin before a given date. Kurt & his agent wouldn't say this publically as an element of the contract if they didn't mean it.

If thats the case I do the deal but structure it over three years with some dummy money in year three to spread the cap hit over three years.

Do you want to have 6M tied to next year's cap even if Kurt can't play next year?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Negotiating in the media is usually a sure sign of desperation. I'd bet that the niner's didn't make an offer at all.

JTS

This is breaking stuff, folks, and will really throw fuel on the fire:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2009/03/03/20090303warner.html

Here are some quick-hits:

-The 49ers did make him an offer and it was bigger than ours
-They supposedly still want to stay with the Cards
-Cards (supposedly) have been offering 2-year, $20 mill, $10 mill guaranteed, all guaranteed money in the 1st season
-Warner worried that it will make it too easy to get rid of him year two (duh!)
-Our increased offer was supposedly for $23 million, but was incentive-laden
-Counter-proposal That Bartlestein is offering the Cards is for 2 years $23 mill, with $12 mill guaranteed and split over the next two seasons, with $6 mill guaranteed in both year 1 and year 2

The split over two years is the key item. They should keep him for the second year anyway as insurance for injury or Leinart faulters.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
By the way you can tell by the sticking point to this negotiation the Cardinals have little faith that Warner will be playing in 2010.

What are the cap ramifications of Matt AND Kurt in 2010 Joe? I am assuming Matt would have to restructure - which if he doesn't get playing time he will not do.

Saxon079

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Absolutely. Warner told us before the season ended that it was Cards or retirement. Do you think Warner is a liar now?

He said he was leaning that way. Plus he said he would consider other options.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
My biggest fear. I REALLY hope he doesn't request a trade.

Just let it play out Matt. You will get your time this season guaranteed.

Same argument that was made last season is applicable this upcoming season: you need two adequate QBs in case #1 goes down. Warner, luckily, was healthy enough to play all last season. Law of averages with Kurt's career and age states that he won't sustain that sort of healthiness next season. Matt needs to stay

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
This whole "I'll give up $X so the team can re-sign another player" is a pipe dream. No player (or more importantly agent of NFLPA) is not going to allow that to happen when pen meets paper. It opens a Pandora's Box.

Nothing like that has every occurred before in the NFL. The closest thing was Peyton Manning restructuring a couple of times (by spreading a huge bonus over future years) to save the Colts some cap room.

The sooner this concept can die, the better off we will be.

So true, but what this is is a fancy tied up with a bow PR move. If we don't sign Kurt we then are put in the position of almost saying no to two players.

This just puts Kurt in the position of looking like the good guy that doesn't really care about money and puts the team first. It puts the Cards in the position of looking like the evil money hungry team that doesn't care about it's players.

It will never happen but it is well played by Kurts agent.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05