Warriors at Suns

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Root for? I am rooting for a high lottery pick still and I am not going to watch much live because this team is simply dull and has no chance to compete. If it was only one of those things they would be watchable but they are neither interesting or entertaining nor competetive.

Especially since those are always guarantees.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Especially since those are always guarantees.

Better than picking 14.

A high lottery pick is a guarantee. If you are bad you will get a high pick.

If you are the worst team in the NBA you can't pick any lower than 4 even in the unluckiest of lottery cases.

Better pick high and fail than gamble big money and fail on free agent signings (Frye, Warrick, Childress etc)

Had we tanked for a top 5 pick last year we would have been guaranteed to get one of Davis, MKG, Lillard, Beal, Waiters that alone would have made this season so much more bearable at least for me, since Kendall Marshall is not even playing and there is absolutely zero buzz about him.

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Better than picking 14.

If you are the worst team in the NBA you can't pick any lower than 4 even in the unluckiest of lottery cases.

Better pick high and fail than gamble big money and fail on free agent signings (Frye, Warrick, Childress etc)

Had we tanked for a top 5 pick last year we would have been guaranteed to get one of Davis, MKG, Lillard, Beal, Waiters that alone would have made this season so much more bearable at least for me, since Kendall Marshall is not even playing and there is absolutely zero buzz about him.

Which NBA player has ever tanked? I don't know why it's that hard to understand that players don't tank, even if they are the worst team imaginable like the Bobcats.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Better than picking 14.

How is failing through the draft better than failing through free agency, when the end result is failure? There are examples of good free agent signings/trades as there are bad top 4 draft picks.

I also find it interesting that now you lament the fact the Suns missed a chance to draft Waiters when at draft time you said.

Dion Waiters.. yuck if he was our only pick in the top 15 on draft night I would be extremely upset.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Unless you can sign or trade for someone with superstar potential, like Harden. Harden was more expensive than a top-5 pick, but is also more likely to become a superstar than a top-5 pick based on what he's already shown, and it didn't cost Houston multiple bad seasons to get him.
Had we tanked for a top 5 pick last year we would have been guaranteed to get one of Davis, MKG, Lillard, Beal, Waiters
Yes, but what's the guarantee that the player the Suns ended up with would become a superstar? If history is any indication, around three of the above players will never even make an all-star team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is not even going to be close to making the allstar game this year or in the next 3 .. Even if he averages 19/9 he won't make it.

Which of these players is he going to beat out? Kobe Bryant? Chris Paul? Russell Westbrook? James Harden? not to mention Tony Parker and others and in the future Lillard, Rubio, Gordon?

He is a middle of the pack starting point guard and luckily we pay him just that money.

If you think he is paid adequately for his talent level then why are you whining about him so much?

There has been a recent explosion of quality PGs, Dragic is among the young and talented ones and a lot of guys at this talent level are signing contracts for 10-12 million per year right now, getting Goran for 7.5 per year is looking like a very good deal.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How is failing through the draft better than failing through free agency, when the end result is failure? There are examples of good free agent signings/trades as there are bad top 4 draft picks.

I also find it interesting that now you lament the fact the Suns missed a chance to draft Waiters when at draft time you said.

Free agent failings are far more expensive. Josh Childress' contract had nearly 30 million more in guarantees than a typical lotto pick.

You screw up on a more expensive free agent, like Eric Gordon and his total inability to stay on the court, and it cripples your franchise for half a decade. While if you whiff on pick it is embarrassing but you still get another crack at it in a year.

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score

Romney'd

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Free agent failings are far more expensive. Josh Childress' contract had nearly 30 million more in guarantees than a typical lotto pick.

You screw up on a more expensive free agent, like Eric Gordon and his total inability to stay on the court, and it cripples your franchise for half a decade. While if you whiff on pick it is embarrassing but you still get another crack at it in a year.

But even if you fail in FA you still get to draft at the top. Obviously I'm glad the Suns didn't sign Gordon as I never believed he was a max player but all the other moves the Suns have made the past 2 seasons have been sound(even if I disagree with some).

The Suns just need to continue the path they are on an be patient. Though I fear what will happen next off-season with so many 2nd and 3rd tier FA available.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if Gordon's knee proves healthy, I think the Suns will have a chance to trade for him before the trading deadline. IMO, too many bad vibes with the Hornets. However, I believe there may be better trade options as the deadline nears.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Even if Gordon's knee proves healthy, I think the Suns will have a chance to trade for him before the trading deadline. IMO, too many bad vibes with the Hornets. However, I believe there may be better trade options as the deadline nears.

He can't be traded to Phoenix this year, at least. Once the team matches, they can no longer trade that player to the team that signed him to an offer-sheet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He can't be traded to Phoenix this year, at least. Once the team matches, they can no longer trade that player to the team that signed him to an offer-sheet.

Sounds correct. I'm glad it relieves the Suns of this temptation.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah, no kidding. Hornets and the new CBA are saving the Suns from themselves.

It was the same in the previous CBA. Now it looks like Gordon may need micro-fracture, which if true means it's unlikely he'll get traded for much of anything.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was the same in the previous CBA. Now it looks like Gordon may need micro-fracture, which if true means it's unlikely he'll get traded for much of anything.

Any link to indicate such? Regardless, it causes pause that the Suns FO can make the right moves to right the ship.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no kidding. Hornets and the new CBA are saving the Suns from themselves.

Maybe that should be our new approach. We identify the riskiest players each offseason that are most likely to be matched and then we toss big dollars their way. When the other team matches, we'll be saved from a shaky investment and they'll be saddled with a bad contract. Play our cards right and all we'd have to do is ruin about 10 franchises and we'd be playoff bound.

Steve

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe that should be our new approach. We identify the riskiest players each offseason that are most likely to be matched and then we toss big dollars their way. When the other team matches, we'll be saved from a shaky investment and they'll be saddled with a bad contract. Play our cards right and all we'd have to do is ruin about 10 franchises and we'd be playoff bound.

Steve

You may be on to something!

(More likely, just on something.) ;)

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Steve

Brilliant idea! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake