Warriors at Suns

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
You just know we don't even have to tank for top 7. If you can not beat the Warriors at home who had Curry and Bogut basically practice just once before the game, Bogut played just 18 minutes, Curry went 2-14, Lee went 2-16 and Thompson going 6-16... but you still lose the game at home and can't even put up 90 on a historically poor defense team like the Warriors you are simply bad.

If they win 30 games they might be overachieving. I was hoping Beasley would make the season at least entertaining while losing but doh.. lets see how the tough love coaching approach Gentry took works on him..

Dragic is a nice player, but there are so many great exciting PGs in the league, just can't get particularly excited enough about Goran to really want to watch the games, June can't come soon enough.

Play the young guys!! Wesley Johnson? 0 Minutes. Kendall Marshall? 0 Minutes. Markieff Morris and Michael Beasley? Barely on the floor.
Watching the young guys play and hopefully develop was going to be the one thing that should have helped me through the season quick.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Play the young guys!! Wesley Johnson? 0 Minutes. Kendall Marshall? 0 Minutes. Markieff Morris and Michael Beasley? Barely on the floor.
Watching the young guys play and hopefully develop was going to be the one thing that should have helped me through the season quick.

Absent of a contract extension, Gentry isn't going to worry about developing guys for next year.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Depends on what the agenda of the FO is I guess..

The FO has been pretty consistent with their message. Stay competitive while rebuilding(or are they still calling it re-tooling?).

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absent of a contract extension, Gentry isn't going to worry about developing guys for next year.

Agreed. If Gentry were not flapping in the wind he would probably be a little more long term oriented but the FO has painted him into a corner.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I gotta put Scola on my fav list after tonight. I think this is the part of the game where he can create.
Scola's stats on offense outshined those of Gortat, but Marcin picked up the defense.

Despite me being in Gortat's corner last season, I was hoping for and, quite frankly, expected Scola to join him as my favorite tandem, as well. As I posted earlier, our junior version of Twin Towers.

Now they just have to work on not fighting each other for rebounds which then go out of bounds.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scola's stats on offense outshined those of Gortat, but Marcin picked up the defense.

Despite me being in Gortat's corner last season, I was hoping for and, quite frankly, expected Scola to join him as my favorite tandem, as well. As I posted earlier, our junior version of Twin Towers.

Now they just have to work on not fighting each other for rebounds which then go out of bounds.

The first time it happened I really wasn't sure who to fault but the next several times it was clearly Scola swinging wildly without any awareness of who was in the neighborhood. I've played with a few guys that were like that but it never crossed my mind that Luis would have that problem. I'm not a Scola fan but everyone says he's a smart player and I just don't know how smart you can be out there if you don't know where your teammates and opponents are at most times.

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
The first time it happened I really wasn't sure who to fault but the next several times it was clearly Scola swinging wildly without any awareness of who was in the neighborhood. I've played with a few guys that were like that but it never crossed my mind that Luis would have that problem. I'm not a Scola fan but everyone says he's a smart player and I just don't know how smart you can be out there if you don't know where your teammates and opponents are at most times.

Steve

I don't know how it works at the professional level, but I know when I played basketball in high school, it was customary to say "Got it!" when you were securing a rebound. I am guessing that this won't be a a problem for very long- both Gortat and Scola are smart players and will figure each other out.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't know how it works at the professional level, but I know when I played basketball in high school, it was customary to say "Got it!" when you were securing a rebound.
In baseball, the unwritten rule is that the CF is "captain" of the outfield (RF & LF). I wonder if there is any such practice in basketball between the Center and Forwards.

To their credit, both Gortat and Scola were in position to gather those 3 or 4 boards. 'Not something we've seen a lot of on the Suns over the decades.

I'm thinking Rich Kelley (C) and Truck Robinson (PF), when Kelley led the Suns in rebounds per minutes played and Robinson in rebounds per game.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Dragic is a nice player, but there are so many great exciting PGs in the league, just can't get particularly excited enough about Goran to really want to watch the games, June can't come soon enough.

No one said you have to..

HooverDam

Reaction score
In a big picture way the Suns-Warriors game was exactly what I want to see all year: the Suns were competitive enough to keep the game watchable, but pulled out the L in the end.

In the details though I was very frustrated. As has been mentioned, I wish Gentry would play the young guys. But as long as our moronic front office is telling him to win and try to sneak into the playoffs, and with his job being on the line, that won't happen.

My ideal scenario would have the Suns playing big minutes for Beasley, Wes Jonson, Markieff Morris and Kendall Marshall. Maybe they stink, but lets find out for certain and try to develop them and give them experience.

The Louis Scola acquisition was such a back breaker for any real hope of re-building. He's too good and will likely help the Suns win 5 or so games I'd rather them lose. Even more importantly, he plugs up the 4 spot, where Beasley should be playing so he can use his quickness to beat people.

This Front Office/Ownership group is just so frustrating and very insulting. Phoenix fans get criticized for being bandwagon, I just think its that the fanbase is smart. They won't buy the front office garbage about this being some exciting young team, we want a real re-build, we went through years of mired mediocrity with Tom Gugliatta and Rex Chapman, I don't want to go back there.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
No one said you have to..

And I won't because even Goran who is probably our best player is not even top 10 at his position, I doubt the Suns have a top 50 player in the NBA on their roster. Probably just 2 or 3 top 100 players.

Russell Westbrook
Derrick Rose
Kyrie Irving
Rajon Rondo
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Steve Nash
John Wall
Ricky Rubio
Damian Lillard

That is 11 PGs just clearly more talented. And while Nash is falling from grace soon there will be new faces entering the league some surprising ones like Lillard. And others who will explode when given the starters chance like Dragic did in Houston. Eric Bledsoe is one I think could be in the upper tier of PGs once he gets away from the Clippers or out of Pauls shadow.

Goran is in the next pack somewhere with Stephen Curry due to injuries, Kyle Lowry, Jeremy Lin, Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson, Mike Conley and Brandon Jennings.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
And I won't because even Goran who is probably our best player is not even top 10 at his position, I doubt the Suns have a top 50 player in the NBA on their roster. Probably just 2 or 3 top 100 players.

Russell Westbrook
Derrick Rose
Kyrie Irving
Rajon Rondo
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Steve Nash
John Wall
Ricky Rubio
Damian Lillard

That is 11 PGs just clearly more talented. And while Nash is falling from grace soon there will be new faces entering the league some surprising ones like Lillard. And others who will explode when given the starters chance like Dragic did in Houston. Eric Bledsoe is one I think could be in the upper tier of PGs once he gets away from the Clippers or out of Pauls shadow.

Goran is in the next pack somewhere with Stephen Curry due to injuries, Kyle Lowry, Jeremy Lin, Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson, Mike Conley and Brandon Jennings.

We get it, you don't like Dragic, just like you don't like Gortat. No need to keep reminding us.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
In a big picture way the Suns-Warriors game was exactly what I want to see all year: the Suns were competitive enough to keep the game watchable, but pulled out the L in the end.

What's the point of even watching / rooting? "Pulled out the L in the end." :rolleyes:

HooverDam

Reaction score
What's the point of even watching / rooting? "Pulled out the L in the end." :rolleyes:

Because I want the Suns to be winners. If that means taking one step back now so they can take 2 steps forward, I'm OK with that.

I'm smart enough to realize while it may be painful now, its good in the long run. Its like getting a vaccine shot, its no fun, but its important.

The other choice is to be mired in a half decade or more of mediocrity like the Suns were from the time they traded Barkley to the time they acquired Nash. Is that what you want?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Because I want the Suns to be winners. If that means taking one step back now so they can take 2 steps forward, I'm OK with that.

I'm smart enough to realize while it may be painful now, its good in the long run. Its like getting a vaccine shot, its no fun, but its important.

The other choice is to be mired in a half decade or more of mediocrity like the Suns were from the time they traded Barkley to the time they acquired Nash. Is that what you want?

My brain agrees with you- I am OK with losing every single game if it means it will help us get better in the long run- I get that, and I know it's absolutely right, logical, etc.

Having said that, no matter how hard I try, I cannot be happy when the team loses, nor can I root for them to lose.

For me anyway, it's one of those mind vs. heart thing, I just HATE seeing them lose.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
My brain agrees with you- I am OK with losing every single game if it means it will help us get better in the long run- I get that, and I know it's absolutely right, logical, etc.

Having said that, no matter how hard I try, I cannot be happy when the team loses, nor can I root for them to lose.

For me anyway, it's one of those mind vs. heart thing, I just HATE seeing them lose.

+1. This is exactly how I feel about everything.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
We get it, you don't like Dragic, just like you don't like Gortat. No need to keep reminding us.

I like Dragic but only as the 4th best player on a team. Dragic and Gortat should be the #4/5 guys on a team that can challenge the Heat.

But I have no idea how the Suns can ever get 3 allstar caliber players at the 2,3,4 before Dragic and Gortat are past their prime, especially Gortat. For free agency the Suns have tied up too much money on good but not great players on medium big contracts like Dudley, Frye, Gortat, Scola, Beasley and Dragic (not that allstar caliber players are attainable anyway and for top lottery they have too many veterans and good role players although it looks like we have a chance to be really bad this year even if they try hard.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I like Dragic but only as the 4th best player on a team. Dragic and Gortat should be the #4/5 guys on a team that can challenge the Heat.

But I have no idea how the Suns can ever get 3 allstar caliber players at the 2,3,4 before Dragic and Gortat are past their prime, especially Gortat. For free agency the Suns have tied up too much money on good but not great players on medium big contracts like Dudley, Frye, Gortat, Scola, Beasley and Dragic (not that allstar caliber players are attainable anyway and for top lottery they have too many veterans and good role players although it looks like we have a chance to be really bad this year even if they try hard.
I personally believe that Dragic is an all star talent and we might see him in the all star game this year. Just look at the warriors game. He had 17 points and 8 assists while looking good doing it even though he and his teammates had a poor shooting night. Had they shot the ball better he likely would have had 21+ points and 11-12 assists.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score

I'm so glad I'm not you. It must be depressing to root for (or whatever you do) a team that simply cannot please you unless there are some amazing amazing players on the team. You should root for the Heat or the Thunder.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score

So you won't root for the Suns because they have no top 50 NBA players? You aren't even a Suns fan and that's pretty evident now.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
So you won't root for the Suns because they have no top 50 NBA players? You aren't even a Suns fan and that's pretty evident now.

Root for? I am rooting for a high lottery pick still and I am not going to watch much live because this team is simply dull and has no chance to compete. If it was only one of those things they would be watchable but they are neither interesting or entertaining nor competetive.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I personally believe that Dragic is an all star talent and we might see him in the all star game this year. Just look at the warriors game. He had 17 points and 8 assists while looking good doing it even though he and his teammates had a poor shooting night. Had they shot the ball better he likely would have had 21+ points and 11-12 assists.

He is not even going to be close to making the allstar game this year or in the next 3 .. Even if he averages 19/9 he won't make it.

Which of these players is he going to beat out? Kobe Bryant? Chris Paul? Russell Westbrook? James Harden? not to mention Tony Parker and others and in the future Lillard, Rubio, Gordon?

He is a middle of the pack starting point guard and luckily we pay him just that money.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

It was not as bad as the last 4 years.

The last 4 years were the worst since the 80s. This upcomming "era" might be the worst ever in the history of this franchise if they don't find a franchise player quickly.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

In the details though I was very frustrated. As has been mentioned, I wish Gentry would play the young guys. But as long as our moronic front office is telling him to win and try to sneak into the playoffs, and with his job being on the line, that won't happen.

My ideal scenario would have the Suns playing big minutes for Beasley, Wes Jonson, Markieff Morris and Kendall Marshall. Maybe they stink, but lets find out for certain and try to develop them and give them experience.

The Louis Scola acquisition was such a back breaker for any real hope of re-building. He's too good and will likely help the Suns win 5 or so games I'd rather them lose. Even more importantly, he plugs up the 4 spot, where Beasley should be playing so he can use his quickness to beat people.

This Front Office/Ownership group is just so frustrating and very insulting. Phoenix fans get criticized for being bandwagon, I just think its that the fanbase is smart. They won't buy the front office garbage about this being some exciting young team, we want a real re-build, we went through years of mired mediocrity with Tom Gugliatta and Rex Chapman, I don't want to go back there.

Well said. We've seen what late lottery picks have gotten us, and it ain't pretty. (Although they'll probably mess up a top 5 pick anyway)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake