OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, yeah. Spot on.

Yep

For better or worse, Ossenfort is sticking to his plan, his vision and his budget. He has delivered promising results entering his second season on the job. And after the desperate swings and shoddy exit of his predecessor, he has earned some blind faith.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not a black and white "If you try early for the playoffs you're throwing away sustained success." It's not hard to make the playoffs these days, especially in the NFC. We could easily have done more to be competitive without in the least way risking long-term development. Easily.
We can agree to disagree. I’m fine with that. I didn’t say the Cardinals couldn’t make the playoffs in year 2. They certainly can. But, I wouldn’t make decisions that may create quicker results only to not sustain that success. MO has a process in play. Within reason, I hope he sticks to it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
We can agree to disagree. I’m fine with that. I didn’t say the Cardinals couldn’t make the playoffs in year 2. They certainly can. But, I wouldn’t make decisions that may create quicker results only to not sustain that success. MO has a process in play. Within reason, I hope he sticks to it.
Your belief makes it sound like we could only do two extremes: ONLY go hard in the draft and do very little in FA and save cap space, or ONLY go the Keim way and mortgage our future. There is a clear middle ground approach as well.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I need to see the first string play before making an informed guess. I was disappointed with the lack of line depth. Clearly it won’t take many injuries to derail any hopes for improvement. I think this situation eliminates any chance of sneaking into the playoffs. This also looks like a tougher schedule than might have been expected.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This also looks like a tougher schedule than might have been expected.

I think everyone knows that early part of the Cardinals schedule is brutal.

I have them going 3-5 to start the first half of the season.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The goal of the MOJG administration is to build SUSTAINABLE success over a longer stretch of time, and not necessarily a team that makes the playoffs for a year or two, and then crashes to rock bottom & has to start all over again. I can show you examples from the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, and all the way up to the Kingsbury regime where they have made the playoffs and then fell off a cliff. No, they didn’t make the playoffs in the 60’s, but that’s only because wildcard berths didn’t exist. But, even back then they would go 9-3-2, just miss the playoffs & then go 4-9-1 the next season. So, I’m ALL in on doing whatever it takes to build and SUSTAIN playoff runs, as opposed to bandaid a roster for short term success. If it takes a 3rd year, then I’m fine with that. And Bidwill feels the same way. All you have to do is go back and listen to his presser when he first hired MO. Carry on.
Please explain to me how signing a legitimate pass rusher on a short term deal prevents sustainable success. I'll wait.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Who are these franchises you'd like us to model?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your belief makes it sound like we could only do two extremes: ONLY go hard in the draft and do very little in FA and save cap space, or ONLY go the Keim way and mortgage our future. There is a clear middle ground approach as well.
And I trust MO to find that clear path. More so than you or me lol.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please explain to me how signing a legitimate pass rusher on a short term deal prevents sustainable success. I'll wait.
And that may still happen. But, I’ll leave that up to MOJG to decide, since that’s what they were hired to do.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who are these franchises you'd like us to model?
He did spend a lot of time with the Patriots. And they did ok lol. There seems to be a handful of teams that have had a level of sustained success. That needs to be the goal. Not necessarily that we need to win 7 or 8 SB’s, but that we consistently make the playoffs & are at times a threat to go deep into them.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
And that may still happen. But, I’ll leave that up to MOJG to decide, since that’s what they were hired to do.
Wait - you're saying there is still a chance we sign a decent edge at this point?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
He did spend a lot of time with the Patriots. And they did ok lol. There seems to be a handful of teams that have had a level of sustained success. That needs to be the goal. Not necessarily that we need to win 7 or 8 SB’s, but that we consistently make the playoffs & are at times a threat to go deep into them.
They did ok with Tom Brady - sans Tom Brady, they're a joke.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve learned to not stress over something I can’t control. If he fails, he’ll be fired. That’s how it usually works. So far, I like his approach.
I liked his approach from the beginning although I'm struggling right now given our needs and all the money we didn't spend. Still, it's too early to abandon ship and if it takes him/them another year to make us mediocre and another year beyond that to put us into real contention, I can live with that. I wish I had a little more confidence our path will actually lead to success but unfortunately Mike B and our history puts it in the unlikely column.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Pats had Tom Brady playing on a below-market contract for 19 years. Since he left they are 29-38, haven't won a playoff game in five years, and just fired their head coach. So how exportable is that process really?

Anyone you'd point to beyond the Pats?