Week 5 Snap Counts and Positive Vibes

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
TBF it is pretty interesting that Petzing kept with the multi TE set and run game despite being down two scores. Maybe it was because he went away from it so quickly vs Washington the week before.

I'm just happy that we saw more of Kyler under center and using play action again!

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I noticed early on...Petzing calls some real poo runs for Benson...seams to always want to stretch the kid and have him behind pulling guards.
one play, when Benson was handed the ball...the entire right side of the oline was stacked up behind the LG and there was nobody between Benson and three defenders the linemen left...then the pulling guys stayed jammed up, the kid had to run backwards three yards to get around them...and somehow got back to the LoS.... very next play we ran Conner...and when Kyler put the ball in JC's hands, all the defensive linemen had a body on them and the left guard was already on a backer at the second level...JC just had to pick a crease and go...and he got like 9 yards.
I posit, Benson would have better production if Petzing would stop trying to use him as a scat back and give him the same quick hitting runs between the tackles that JC gets..
I chalk that up to Gannon once saying they like to throw guys into different situations to see how they react...but at the time I thought he was just talking about pre season.
Maybe. I don't think the coaches want Benson bouncing runs. I think they want him to stick his foot in the ground and use his size to hit the creases and break tackles. If anything, press the hole and then cutback. I think it was the Washington game where they designed one run on almost an inside trap action so that he had no choice but to get up field.

Veteran
Reaction score
Agreed. Total team defense. Look at all that went into this play. Luketa, White, and Budda all playing top-end ball here:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Luketas’s knockback on Trent Williams was one of the best I’ve ever seen against Trent.

THEN to chase down the ball and dive to knock it out. Most guys are dead on contact against Williams.

What a helluva play all around!! Hopefully season-changing