Week 7 Snap Counts and Thoughts

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
underrated cause of offensive sluggishness

still not sure why they havent tried deeper shots to McBride or Higgins out of play action in those sets
I’m thinking a lack of time Kyler has. Longer developing plays aren’t available due to the state of our OL.

Things could improve but it’s more likely the offensive line run blocks well and we’ll continue running for the foreseeable future.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He didn't get toasted. They were playing zone and ST5 passed him off to Jalen Thompson as he had a man underneath.

He abandoned that man when he saw the QB target the deep guy. He actually played that rep perfectly, it was Jalens coverage that was trash.

I have no idea what Jalen is doing here. He has nobody under him and no reason to hesitate in picking up the receiver. He's way to slow to get across from the left hash when it's clear all the threat is on the right. Thomas saved his ass.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Gotcha. Misremembered who had the responsibility on that play. He made up for Jalen's toasting. Thanks for the correction :)

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He didn't get toasted. They were playing zone and ST5 passed him off to Jalen Thompson as he had a man underneath.

He abandoned that man when he saw the QB target the deep guy. He actually played that rep perfectly, it was Jalens coverage that was trash.

I have no idea what Jalen is doing here. He has nobody under him and no reason to hesitate in picking up the receiver. He's way to slow to get across from the left hash when it's clear all the threat is on the right. Thomas saved his ass.

I agree with this assessment for the most part.BTW thank you for the video reference. I do think it’s on Thomas to get a deeper drop if he knows the LB and S are covering the underneath. Overall a pretty damn good effort and a good find from what I’ve seen over the last year and a half. CBs have a big learning curve from college to pro ball and I can see the secondary being really good over the next few years .

JohnnyCakes

Alpha Male
Supporting Member
Reaction score

nice breakdown, thanks.

Not sure what JT was thinking here

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’m thinking a lack of time Kyler has. Longer developing plays aren’t available due to the state of our OL.

Things could improve but it’s more likely the offensive line run blocks well and we’ll continue running for the foreseeable future.
I think there is plenty of meat on the bone offensively. And again, it isn't just on one coach or player.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How ths defense kept then to 65 yards running (or whatever it was) with these guys on the D line is a miracle.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score

maybe

i have seen plenty of play action out of that set, and it has Kyler taking a deeper drop and looking downfield -- but he then moves on to another option. My opinion is that its more a function of the target being covered rather than pressure

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I think there is plenty of meat on the bone offensively. And again, it isn't just on one coach or player.
100% this. single factor problems tend to get solved easily. Offense has a few medium sized issues (in no particular order)

1. The offense is conservative philosophically -- although maybe a function of trying to protect a bad defense too.
2. Their best grouping is 3 TEs, which limits down the field plays
3. Talent / experience deficit at WR. MHJ is a rook. Wilson in his 2nd year. Dortch is depth. In a better situation, you would have quality, vet WR in that mix to knock each of the above down one slot.
4. Kyler is too risk averse, maybe at Petzing/ Gannons direction. Maybe also a function of protecting the D.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan