Welcome to the Cardinals, Cooper

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
I'm very pleased. I was holding my breath when Goodell went to the podium with the pick, fearing some long reach of a selection. The year of Skillet Hands and Pace is still haunting me.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Welcome.

Future LG and OC for the Cardinals.

I give the pick a A+.....same grade I would have given the Cardinals if they picked Warmack.

Good pick. Really good pick.

Edit: Just remembered he instantly becomes our backup center. Excellent.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
We pickup one more OL in the next two picks as well, watch.

Agreed.

Menelik Watson would be a great pick if he is there in the 2nd. I would take Watson over Moore, and Okafor without batting an eye.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Agreed.

Menelik Watson would be a great pick if he is there in the 2nd. I would take Watson over Moore, and Okafor without batting an eye.

Well if the Cards were going to draft an offensive lineman I'd have liked them to draft one that was bigger than his mother.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know I'll be rocking a Cooper jersey. Love the pick

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Still can't shake the feeling we took the 2nd best Guard in the draft. I want nothing more than for Cooper to prove me and a lot of us so wrong. I think we got a great player today. He will be as good or better in the passing game than Warmack but I just don't see him being a mauler in the running game. I see comparisons made to Larry Allen. He was a mauler in the running game. There is no comparison on film I have seen to a HOF in Larry Allen. We needed a Guard or Tackle. We got a very good one. Hope he is what so many say he could be a FHOF type. Need to make some serious hay in 2nd and 3rd tomorrow. Very solid first day but we did not gain on the division today. Ps Hate the new draft format...no flow and with 2nd on the next day breaks the momentum for the fans IMO...all in all very solid if not spectacular day.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Still can't shake the feeling we took the 2nd best Guard in the draft. I want nothing more than for Cooper to prove me and a lot of us so wrong. He will be as good or better in the passing game than Warmack but I just don't see him being a mauler in the running game. I see comparisons made to Larry Allen. He was a mauler in the running game. There is no comparison on film I have seen to a HOF in Larry Allen. We needed a Guard or Tackle. We got a very good one. Hope he is what so many say he could be a FHOF type. Need to make some serious hay in 2nd and 3rd tomorrow. Very solid first day but we did not gain on the division today.

Well we did keep the Cardinal tradition of bringing in a new Guard every year.

Wells, Faneca, Lutui, Hadnot, Colledge, Snyder and last year drafted Kelemete and now this year Cooper. 8 guards in 5 years. No wonder our offensive line always looks confused. Oh yeah and for good measure, they signed Chilo Rachal just in case. Ken Gray played RG for the Cards for 12 years! Irv Goode played LG for us for 10 years! Bob Young and Conrad Dobler played together at the Guard positions for 6 years. Lutui and Reggie Wells played together 2007-2009. The Cards won 31 games. A total that normally takes over 6 years to achieve and went to the SB! :bang:

:stick:

Last edited:

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I think the line was always confused because Grimm was reading them fairytales......Old Mother Hubbard had nothing in the cupboard....so bring in as many guards as possible to fill the emptiness. Cooper is way better than the bums we have had. Time will bare that out. Just not sure he is better than Warmack. No Grimm is already a huge plus.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the line was always confused because Grimm was reading them fairytales......Old Mother Hubbard had nothing in the cupboard....so bring in as many guards as possible to fill the emptiness. Cooper is way better than the bums we have had. Time will bare that out. Just not sure he is better than Warmack. No Grimm is already a huge plus.
I'm hoping the over all football crowd has it right, along with Kiem and the Kangol. I do wonder if it was close in the war room but the way Jurecky came out a few days ago makes it sound like the only reason it took so long was just typical draft clock usage. I think they might grade out pretty close to eachother, I do like Cooper's wheels. I'm glad we got who we wanted, at least in the guard sense of the word.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gonna be a STUD.

Interior OL just got TOUGH. Makes the line soooo much better.

We pickup one more OL in the next two picks as well, watch.

I love this pick. Palmer loves it more.

We dodged a bullet by the tackles being taken and Massie not sliding over to guard. Massie is a decent RT. I like the pick.

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
The Cardinals picked the correct guard. Warmack wanted to be in Tennessee. Cooper is grateful to be in Arizona. Cooper is the better pass protector and more athletic. He fits BA's offense to a T. Harold Goodwin has to be ecstatic.

Excellent draft pick IMO!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still can't shake the feeling we took the 2nd best Guard in the draft. I want nothing more than for Cooper to prove me and a lot of us so wrong. I think we got a great player today. He will be as good or better in the passing game than Warmack but I just don't see him being a mauler in the running game. I see comparisons made to Larry Allen. He was a mauler in the running game. There is no comparison on film I have seen to a HOF in Larry Allen. We needed a Guard or Tackle. We got a very good one. Hope he is what so many say he could be a FHOF type. Need to make some serious hay in 2nd and 3rd tomorrow. Very solid first day but we did not gain on the division today. Ps Hate the new draft format...no flow and with 2nd on the next day breaks the momentum for the fans IMO...all in all very solid if not spectacular day.

I don't know who's going to be better of the 2 but there were a couple of reasons I would have taken Cooper over Warmack. Warmack has a "sloppy" body, maybe he stays in good enough shape, or maybe he gets even fatter, Cooper is a better athlete better body IMO.

Second, Alabama had so much talent on that offense you wonder if that OL doesn't turn out like USC's did(the one we picked Deuce off of) where most of those guys turned out to be overrated. It was the combination of so many really good COLLEGE players that made for a great OL and got them all overrated.

I think Alabama's OL was awesome, and it's entirely possible all of them are slightly overrated because they had so much talent next to them.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I preferred Warmack (mainly because I like guys who look like they can read in the first), but ok. I just feel like we may have reached for a need a bit but this was our biggest need IMO, so I'm cool with it. Anything that saves me from watching Colledge (hopefully) or Snyder this year is a good thing. He and Levi should be a mauling duo on that left side.

You mean like read books?

Warmack bombed the wonderlic, Cooper aced it.

Reaction score
I preferred Warmack (mainly because I like guys who look like they can read in the first), but ok. I just feel like we may have reached for a need a bit but this was our biggest need IMO, so I'm cool with it. Anything that saves me from watching Colledge (hopefully) or Snyder this year is a good thing. He and Levi should be a mauling duo on that left side.

Don't know where you get this from. He scored a 34 on the wonderlic.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/131284/jonathan-cooper

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cooper is the better athlete, Warmack more of a mauler. Also Cooper apparently has a wrestling background which per NFL.com's report was something scouts liked because it tends to indicate an understanding of leverage(as long as he's not doing takedowns).

I didn't know about his shoulder surgery that K9 pointed out but I'm sure the Cards knew, it's actually in NFL.com's scouting report so not a secret.

Oddly NFL.com gave Warmack the higher rating but said Cooper figured to be picked first because he's more athletic.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah by every measure Cooper is the more intelligent player. Warmack is more of a mauler. I believe we got the right guy for our team and Bruce Arians offense.

Well after the last few years to be fair I think you have to take the academics of any UNC football or basketball player with a grain of salt in case they were one of the Swahili students (-:

But he had a higher test score.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm kind of "meh" with the pick itself.

But I'm very excited to have Jonathan Cooper on our line. He immediately becomes the best offensive guard this team has had since Leonard Davis. It's premature to call him a perennial Pro Bowler (which Keim did, but that's just marketing), but he definitely upgrades the position that he fills, and the positions on either side of him.

With Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, Mingo, and Jordan off the board, he became the obvious pick.

There's no questioning what kind of offense or run game we're going to be executing now.

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
I like everything I've heard and read about Cooper over the last several days (ever since he started showing up in the mocks as our pick at 7). While it has nothing directly to do with his ability to play football, I also like that he stayed in college for his senior year because he'd promised his family he would get his degree. I just think it says something good about his character.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He was on the ACC All Academic team and graduated college in December. I'm sure he can read just fine.

http://m.wect.com/autojuice?targetU...onathan-cooper-lands-on-acc-all-academic-team

And just in case that article doesn't impress you:

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20130221/ARTICLES/130229904

Last edited:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Listening to his presser. Really good speaker. Not a lot of "um's" or "hmmms". Not a ton of ambiguous athlete go-to phrases. I don't know how else to describe it except as a smooth delivery. When his football career is done, he might have a future in broadcasting.

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
His arrival video is great. Keim greeted him wearing an NC State Wolfpack shirt.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05