We're $10,000,000 UNDER the salary cap

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
EndZone said:
True they are 50 mil under the cap...but they have only 25 signed players. So not only do they need to either resign Davis or find a replacement, they also have to sign 27 other players (current 25 + davis or replacement + 27 = 53)

We have 33 players under contract. If you go to NFLPA.org site and click all for 2007 you will only see 25 players max on any search you do. You have to go position by position to find all of the players.

Also the replacements or re-signings are not expensive. Step, Leckey, Smith, Fransisco, Bergen, Dockett, and others that escape my mind are all EFA's or RFA's. So after re-signing EFA's and RFA's alone at base prices we will be have over or close to 40 Mill. Add in 6 draft picks at a total of less then 5 Mill for all 6. We are at about 45 players with 8 open roster spots and 35-40 Mill left over after EFA's, RFA's, Draft Picks, PS, and Injuries.

Just for comparisions sake we spent 20 Mill in cap space on James, Wells, Clancy, and Brown.

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
We have 33 players under contract. If you go to NFLPA.org site and click all for 2007 you will only see 25 players max on any search you do. You have to go position by position to find all of the players.

Also the replacements or re-signings are not expensive. Step, Leckey, Smith, Fransisco, Bergen, Dockett, and others that escape my mind are all EFA's or RFA's. So after re-signing EFA's and RFA's alone at base prices we will be have over or close to 40 Mill. Add in 6 draft picks at a total of less then 5 Mill for all 6. We are at about 45 players with 8 open roster spots and 35-40 Mill left over after EFA's, RFA's, Draft Picks, PS, and Injuries.

Just for comparisions sake we spent 20 Mill in cap space on James, Wells, Clancy, and Brown.

Cool I didnt know about the 25 max thing on NFLPA

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Actually, TMQ occaisionally breaks down how finances work for NFL Franchises.

Salaries and signing bonuses are paid for exclusively from monies paid through TV contracts, accounted for by the salary cap.

Ticket sales pay for all overhead: facilities, coaching salaries, equipment, staff, advertising, etc.

The profits that owners make are from luxury boxes and other side deals like exclusive radio deals (which I don't think the Cards have--I wonder if they're not paying KTAR to broadcast the games), merchandising, concession sales, etc.

It's nearly impossible not to make money running an NFL team.

I don't disagree with you and the Cards are finally in that position. The only point I was trying to make is that there are many expenses incurred when running an NFL team. Some people seem to think that once the players are paid, all the rest of the money the team makes is gravy. It ain't that way.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
I don't disagree with you and the Cards are finally in that position. The only point I was trying to make is that there are many expenses incurred when running an NFL team. Some people seem to think that once the players are paid, all the rest of the money the team makes is gravy. It ain't that way.

I run a business, I'm well aware of expenses adding up fast.

The salary cap does not mean that all teams spend money equally every year, depending on upfront bonuses and how deals are structured you could see a wide variance between two teams payrolls, capwise they might look the same but one team could literally outspend the other by 30 million $ in that year..

Some teams are actually spending future $ this year, we are so far on the other side of the spectrum no one is sure how to even deal with it.

We are not running the team like the competitive franchises tend to, of that there is no doubt.