We're number 30 woohoo!

Gnomad

Roamin' Gnome
Reaction score
yeah, that's good for a chuckle or two. Tuiososopo as the QB of the future... I guess i just didn't get that vibe from the guy. And Gannon is old and probably forever hurt. Collins has probably the most amount of potential left in him, and that's shady to say the least.

I'm pretty shocked that we made it to 30, instead of 31 or 32. Look at our QBs... who are these guys??

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy, I don't agree with most of that list...but one of the few tings I DO agree with is the approximate location of the Cardinals. Hopefully Josh will do something this season to change that, but for anyone to put us significantly higher is doing so out of hope rather than fact.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Boy, I don't agree with most of that list...but one of the few tings I DO agree with is the approximate location of the Cardinals. Hopefully Josh will do something this season to change that, but for anyone to put us significantly higher is doing so out of hope rather than fact.

Yeah it's not really us I disagree with as much as some of the other teams on the list. Let's face it we're simply too unproven to be any higher at QB.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Yeah it's not really us I disagree with as much as some of the other teams on the list. Let's face it we're simply too unproven to be any higher at QB.

I find it interesting where the Bears are ranked.

It is idiotic trying to figure out the best QB stables when most of these guys have played very little in the NFL if at all.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
I find it interesting where the Bears are ranked.

It is idiotic trying to figure out the best QB stables when most of these guys have played very little in the NFL if at all.

Yep.

All you gotta do is go back a few years when the same experts were writing off the Rams because Green blew his knee out meaning a former Arena League QB would be starting for them. Warner is the MVP, they win the SuperBowl.

TXCardinalsFan

Feeling no pain
Reaction score
Most sports writers are idiots anyway. I can't pay too much attention to sports writers since a lot of them never played a down in their lives.

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
I think from position 1 - 20 you could basically flip flop the whole thing. Miami is the one that sticks out to me the most. They should be near the bottom.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so far away said:
I think from position 1 - 20 you could basically flip flop the whole thing. Miami is the one that sticks out to me the most. They should be near the bottom.

Yep, early reports were that Feeley was struggling and there were writers saying Fiedler would wind up the starter.

Bobcat

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

I agree. Maybe in afew years we will move up at the QB position. Josh is a real unknown in this league; we only can hope that DG id right about him.

Allan :wave:

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Young QBs

Wow, this writer hates young QBs. Look at the teams from about 25-31. Grossman, Leftwich, (McCown), Harrington, Carr... there is a lot of talent there (or at least potential talent) that he really doesn't think much of.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TigToad said:
Wow, this writer hates young QBs. Look at the teams from about 25-31. Grossman, Leftwich, (McCown), Harrington, Carr... there is a lot of talent there (or at least potential talent) that he really doesn't think much of.
Why should he think much of "potential" when there plenty of proven talent in the league. The only way "potential" should trump "proven" on a list like this is if there's multiple QBs with potential.

For example, (and these are a stretch, I know):

Detroit: Harrington, McMahon
Dallas: Henson, Carter, Hutchinson
Giants: Manning, Plamer

Red Hawk

JUST WIN!
Reaction score
It's interesting in how writers and other people were saying that certain teams had to draft one of the big hyped QB's to have any chance this season.

Now weeks later they are saying what some people believed all along. That a rookie draftee most likely wouldn't be to effective thrown right into the fire.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Young inexperienced QBs dont rank high because there is no substitute for experience. There is a steep learning curve and a young QB is more likely than a veteran to not be able to see the field well, read the defense and throw interceptions or hang on to the ball too long and take sacks.

I dont know of anybody advocating drafting a franchise QB so they will win this year. That is an investment that they hope will play off in later years. Cards are in the same boat with McCown. Four starts is a rookie.

Last edited:

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Yep, early reports were that Feeley was struggling and there were writers saying Fiedler would wind up the starter.

Russ:

And this would be a problem because... ?

Jay Fiedler, at .679 (36-17), has the 2nd-highest winning percentage among recent--i.e., 2003--NFL starters with 25+ lifetime starts. After replacing an ineffective Brian Griese in week 12 against the Redskins, and bringing the Dolphins back to win from 13 points down in the fourth quarter, Fiedler closed out the season with three wins in the last five games, losing only to the playoff-bound Eagles and Patriots.

The problem with Fiedler isn't how he plays when he's healthy. It's who takes his place when he's hurt. Ray Lucas in 2002. Griese in 2003. Both were supposed to be competent backups--or, in Griese's case, a possible replacement. Neither ran the team as effectively as Fiedler. Neither one remains on the Dolphins' roster.

Now, it's A.J. Feeley's turn. It's not surprising that Fiedler has looked better in minicamp than Feeley; Fiedler knows this offense as well or better than his current coaches, while Feeley's still learning the playbook. Sure, the Dolphins coaches would love to see Feeley pick up the system fast enough--and look good enough on the field--to take Fiedler's job in preseason. More realistically, I'd guess they're hoping that Feeley will simply be ready to go if/when Fiedler gets injured.

Sorry for the rant. But for a four-year starter who's won almost 70 percent of his starts, Fiedler sure doesn't get much respect.

WC

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wild Card said:
Russ:

And this would be a problem because... ?

Jay Fiedler, at .679 (36-17), has the 2nd-highest winning percentage among recent--i.e., 2003--NFL starters with 25+ lifetime starts. After replacing an ineffective Brian Griese in week 12 against the Redskins, and bringing the Dolphins back to win from 13 points down in the fourth quarter, Fiedler closed out the season with three wins in the last five games, losing only to the playoff-bound Eagles and Patriots.

WC

I actually agree with you, I just think Miami is really no better off at QB this year than they were last year and he in my mind has them rated higher than they shouuld be. Fiedler is a reasonably good QB, I have called him a poor man's Jake Plummer which seems to irritate Jake fans, they're quite similar Jake just has a better arm.

The problem is they got Feeley to replace Fiedler and so far reports are that's not only not happening, Feeley is flat out not looking that good at all. Unless they have totally changed that offense it's not that complex, hand the ball to Williams 25+ a game, when teams play 9 in the box throw over the top to Chambers, now you have Boston (possibly if he keeps his weight in check). Miami basically asks the QB not to lose the game, same thing Feeley did in Philly but apparently NOT being in a WCO has really made him look worse from what I've read.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nidan said:
That's a scary thought

FWIW Jake's arm DID look stronger last year in denver. I doubt it's the altitude ,I suspect they just did a lot of work on his mechanics and that helped him. I said for years I hated his lack of follow through on his throws.

either that or he'll be interviewed in the Balco case :p

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Fiedler is a reasonably good QB, I have called him a poor man's Jake Plummer which seems to irritate Jake fans, they're quite similar...

Russ:

"Jake fans" should be complemented by the comparison. Jay Fiedler, to this point, has clearly been more productive in the NFL than Plummer. Tale o' the tape, for career stats:

J Fiedler pass 899-1,514-10,551, 59.4 pct, 7.0 ypa, 61 TDs, 58 INTs, rating 78.1; rush 206-795, 3.9 ypc, 11 TDs

J Plummer pass 1,729-3,056-19,804, 56.6 pct, 6.5 ypa, 105 TDs, 121 INTs, rating 71.2; rush 284-1,388, 4.9 ypc, 13 TDs

Plummer has started for most of seven seasons, vs four for Fiedler, so the totals are sorta one-sided in Jake's favor. But the averages tell a different story. Completion percentage, yards per attempt, TD-to-INT ratio. Fiedler wins every significant passing comparison, by solid margins. And though the Snake's known for his scrambling, Fiedler's been nearly as effective, averaging about four yards per, and running it in almost as many times as Plummer in three fewer seasons.

Fiedler's a smart (Dartmouth grad), athletic (competed as a decathlete in college) quarterback who's won a lotta games with the Dolphins. He just gets hurt too much. And he had the bad luck to take over behind center from a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

"A poor man's Jake Plummer?" I think you're doing Fiedler a disservice. ;)

WC

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
FWIW Jake's arm DID look stronger last year in denver. I doubt it's the altitude ,I suspect they just did a lot of work on his mechanics and that helped him. I said for years I hated his lack of follow through on his throws.
I suspect its more a question of having more time to throw. No one suggests that Jake can't throw it deep, its just that he needs some extra time to wind up and get his whole body into it. If you watch a guy like Farve, he doesn't need the wind up.

The net result being that if Jake is rushed the ball has to go up to clear the incoming defender, as he is closer than he would be in an indentical situation with Brett as the ball would be long gone.

This increases the likelyhood of the pass being batted down at the LOS or being picked off downfield as there is more time for the defender to get under it. QB's like Farve are going to throw it 'On a Rope' more often, where Jake has to lob it up. Its related to the time required to wind up for the throw.

Give Jake time and he can toss in downfield with the best of them, Jeff George doesn't need as much time for the same throw.

Last edited:

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
nidan said:
I suspect its more a question of having more time to throw. No one suggests that Jake can't throw it deep, its just that he needs some extra time to wind up and get his whole body into it. If you watch a guy like Farve, he doesn't need the wind up.

The net result bing that if Jake is rushed the ball has to go up to clear the incoming defender as he is closer than he would be in an indentical sitation wtig Brett as the ball would be long gone.

This increases the likelyhood of the pass being batted down at he LOS or being picked off downfield as there is more time for the defender to get under it. QB's like Farve are going to throw it more 'On a Rope' more often, where Jake has to lob it up. Its related to the time trequired to wind up for the throw.

Give Jake time and he can toss in downfield with the best of the Jeff George doesn't need as much time for the same throw.

Wow. Was this translated from German too? :D

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
nidan said:

Awwww...shucks! You didn't have to do that for me! But thanks; I was not trying to be an ass. I just read that German Translation thread and then for some reason went to your post and thought that my brain had been damaged...by the translation post of course, not too much beer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05