PG-Steve Nash
SG-Jim Jackson
SF-Quentin Richardson
PF-Shawn Marion
C-Amare Stoudemire

Game 1 prediction match-ups

Point guards
Steve Nash Vs Tony Parker

This match-up is going to be very key in this series. Steve Nash averaged 30 points, 6 rebounds and 12 assists a game Vs the Mavericks in the conference semi-finals while Tony Parker struggled Vs Seattle. However Tony Parker has always played Steve Nash very well and had big games against him in the past. Most people think Parker is going to have a huge series because of the way Steve plays defense. They also think Nash could be slowed down by the Spurs defense. That remains to be seen of course but Nash will play the same way and look to attack the Spurs at every single play. By scoring when he needs to and dish out to the shooters or Amare inside. This should be a great match-up.

Shooting guards
Jim Jackson Vs Manu Ginobili

Jim Jackson had a very impressive 2nd round performance Vs the Mavericks averaging 12 points on 47% from downtown he also averaged close to 5 rebounds a game in that series. He will again need to play a strong game here with Joe Johnson ruled out of game 1. He will be going up against one of the best slashers and finishers in the NBA. Manu Ginobili was very tough to guard in the regular season meetings and averaged over 23,5 and 4 during their 2nd round series with Seattle. He is certainly a bright young star who will give the Suns plenty of problems. They must find a way to contend him. The last time he played in Phoenix he scored 48 points, which may of been one of those fluke games but the Suns can't allow him to get off again. Certainly not when Joe Johnson is still missing.

Small Forwards
Quentin Richardson Vs Bruce Bowen

Quentin Richardson averaged 12 points and 6 rebounds in the 2nd round series against Dallas. He shot nearly 40% from three but didn't have one real stand out game. He is due for a big shooting game and hopfully this is the game he does It. With Joe Johnson out many thought It was Q who would step up and bring extra offense to replace Joe's production. That didn't happen so maybe now Q will step his game up and make a name for himself in the conference finals. Bruce Bowen is not a scorer nor is he a guy who will score alot of points but he is a shut down defender who can get under your skin. He does however have a nack of knocking down three-pointers. Mainly in the corner. That is his shot and the Suns must be aware of that part of his game.

Power Forward
Shawn Marion Vs Tim Duncan

Shawn Marion had a huge performance in the 2nd round. Where he averaging 23 points, 13 rebounds and 2 blocks a game on 48% shooting. He will again be depended on having a huge series against San Antonio. He will be going up against one of the best players in the NBA and the former two time MVP Tim Duncan. Duncan who has struggled with injury this year was thought to be hurt in game 6 of their series with Seattle but came back to hit the game winner. Marion will need to restrict Duncan from having a huge series while taking advantage of his quicker from the outside. With Duncan's injury he will not be as quick as he normally would be. Duncan's main focus will be to get the Suns dangerous frontcourt into foul trouble. With the lack of depth the last thing the Suns will need is for Amare or Shawn to have to sit down due to fouls.

centers
Amare Stoudemire Vs Nazr Mohammad

Amare Stoudemire for the most part was unstoppable against the Mavericks in round two. Averaging 28 points and 12 rebounds on near 55% shooting. He also went to the line 82 times in the 6 game series. If he can do the same in the Spurs series then It will meah he is attacking, getting points but also getting the Spurs big men in foul trouble. Which is a must when facing a team like this. Nazr Mohammad may not be a great player but he is a good rebounder who can really finish around the basketball off offensive rebounds. The Suns must keep a body on him and not let him kill you on the boards.

Benches

With Joe Johnson still missing, Jim Jackson will again be the starter which will mean Barbosa has to be the main guy off the bench. Guys like Steven Hunter were non factors in the Dallas series but I have a feeling he will get some good time against San Antonio. A team that likes to slow It down and dump It into the big guys. Thats the kind of team Hunter will get some minutes against. The Spurs have a strong bench with Brent Barry, Beno udrih, Robert Horry, Devin Brown and even Glenn Robinson will get some time. Although Brown is not ready to play due to injury. They still have bodies to go to and Robert Horry will be the key guy off the bench. One of the best clutch players in NBA history.

Key's to the game

Spurs
  • Get Tim Duncan going early. He has struggled a little bit lately due to injury but he can still dominate a game inside
  • Get Tony Parker involved early by attacking Steve Nash. Parker has struggled in the playoffs so far but he has a history of playing well Vs Steve Nash. He will be looking forward to this match-up.
  • Don't let Steve Nash get into the lane. Nash proved in the Dallas series If you let him do whatever he wishes by attacking he will find the shooters and kill you by dishing It into Amare .Spurs team defense must be at It's best in this one.
  • Keep It a halfcourt game. he last thing you want to do when playing the Suns is to start running with them. Granted the Spurs can run but the more you do that the more you get exposed by the Suns on the break.
Suns
  • Amare had a huge series in round two by attacking the basket and getting to the line. He will need to do the same here in the conference finals. Get the Spurs big's in foul trouble. Mainly Duncan but I don't think the Spurs are dumb enough to let Duncan guard Amare.
  • Keep running and running. Don't let the Spurs make you play their style of a halfcourt game. Keep pushing that ball to get easy scores. The Spurs will life tough for you to score so any easy points on the break is a must.
  • Suns need to use their quickness inside and take advantage of the Spurs slowe big's. Duncan and Mohammad are not anywhere near as quick as Marion or Amare so they keep to attack them and use their speed up and down the floor.
  • With Joe Johnson still missing the Suns will need another big performance out of Jimmy Jackson. He shot 47% from three in the Dallas series. He will needed to score a good amount again in this series.
Final thoughts

The Phoenix Suns and the San Antonio Spurs will meet in the western conference finals after both teams won their 2nd round series. Phoenix knocked off Dallas 4-2 while the Spurs wrapped up their series with Seattle in 6 games, 4-2. Spurs struggled to see off an injury troubled Sonics team after being up 2-0 and the Sonics came back to level 2-2 but San Antonio took came of business at home and won game 6 in Seattle on a last second shot by Tim Duncan.

Game 1 will be a key game to set the tone of the series as It is in every playoff series. Joe Johnson is still missing so Jim Jackson who had a great 2nd round series will remain the starter. The Spurs also have some trouble woes with Devin Brown missing and Tim Duncan not said to be completely 100% yet due to the ankle injury he came down on in game 6. Even though he still played the end of that game.

This series has been the one everyone has been looking forward to since they knew the Suns were this good. Now all that talk of who's better, who would win is now over. Both teams get to get It on in the conference finals. What better than the best two teams in the western conference finals facing off? so many great match-ups with match-up problems for both teams. This is going to be a great back and forth series.

Suns have the advantage heading into game 1 with the Spurs having a few guys with injury problems who need more rest after a very tough psyical series against Seattle. The Suns are fresh and ready to go. Being without Joe Johnson against Dallas is one thing but against San Antonio? that is very tough. The Suns will need Joe back really soon If they are to win this series.

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
This will be a battle, a great game to be at/watch/listen to. May help to come out strong, keep focused and please -- whoever is in charge of player Karma, can you send Q back to us and ready to kick ass in time for a monster second-half/Fourth Quarter dominating run? Per favore? :notworthy

KANIDJA

Registered
Reaction score
If they can contain Parker I think Suns can win this game. Keep Parker from scoring at will and don't let him go inside for easy layups. Kill his confidence.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
D'Antoni should start Hunter and Jackson, bringing Q off the bench.

With Hunter, the Suns can give single coverage defense on Duncan, put greater emphasis on keeping Manu and Parker out of the paint, and turn the Spurs into a jump shooting team. The Spurs can hit jump shots, but are much more dangerous attacking the basket.

The downside of this approach is that it means Duncan won't have to work as much on defense. None the less, I think the Suns can really limit the Spurs offense with Hunter in the lineup and Hunter's blocks could trigger some fast breaks.

In any case, the Suns have to keep Amare out of foul trouble. He tends to get tentative when he gets into foul trouble and the Suns need him to be agressive to have a chance to win.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
D'Antoni should start Hunter and Jackson, bringing Q off the bench.

With Hunter, the Suns can give single coverage defense on Duncan, put greater emphasis on keeping Manu and Parker out of the paint, and turn the Spurs into a jump shooting team. The Spurs can hit jump shots, but are much more dangerous attacking the basket.

The downside of this approach is that it means Duncan won't have to work as much on defense. None the less, I think the Suns can really limit the Spurs offense with Hunter in the lineup and Hunter's blocks could trigger some fast breaks.

In any case, the Suns have to keep Amare out of foul trouble. He tends to get tentative when he gets into foul trouble and the Suns need him to be agressive to have a chance to win.

I think we should probably see a little more Hunter in this series, but it would be a terrible mistake to start off by adjusting to their strengths. All year long the Phoenix Suns have won games by forcing teams to adjust to them.

Joe Mama

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
The Suns are really going to miss Joe Johnson in this series--I mean, they missed him before, but now they're really in trouble. With Johnson covering Tony Parker, the Suns can move Nash over to cover Bruce Bowen and Brent Barry; as things stand, they don't have anybody in their starting lineup who can cover Parker, Ginobili or Duncan. Not good.

One good thing is that Barbosa should be valuable as backup SG, just as Hunter should be useful as backup PF/C. San Antonio doesn't have the personnel to abuse Barbosa in the post (or Hunter on the perimeter).

Anyway, this is the series the Suns have been pointing toward for most of the year. I'm tempted to say the Spurs will win, because the history of the NBA is full of veteran teams punking less-experienced teams for a year or two before giving way, but the Suns have surprised me (in a good way) all year long, so I'll be an optimist homer and pick the Suns to win in seven games.

The Suns did get this series off on the right foot by winning game 6 against Dallas. The Spurs are still hurting a little from the Seattle series now, and the Suns have seen all of Popovich's tricks already thanks to Avery Johnson. Now it's just a matter of surviving until Joe Johnson gets back (and Q's shot, too, for that matter).

In the meantime, Amare is due for a huge game today.

The Suns are 3-point favorites today! :thumbup:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think the Suns can win this series if they split the first two games and Johnson comes back in pretty good shape for Game 3. It would take a lot of pressure off to win today, but I don't think it's essential.

jibikao

Reaction score
Spurs is only 21-20 on the Road this season!!!

We can beat them as long as we take care of our home court!!!!

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric,

I posted your article this morning, but I was really disappointed with the rating you gave Steven Hunter...I mean, the guy barely played enough to earn a "D"....

And he played amazing in that Game 6 with Amare on the bench.

Look at him today, the guy is giving it his all...

Mike

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns are averaging 56 points in the first half in the first 10 games (Memphis and Dallas series) of this post-season.

sunsfn

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
D'Antoni should start Hunter and Jackson, bringing Q off the bench.QUOTE]

I think they are going to have to think about playing Q a lot less minutes!!
Obviously he can not score, and I do not see him doing more than anyone else can do in place of him. Even McCarty can guard people better than him, just by being there.
It will be tough until JJ comes back though.

If Barbosa could score a little, he could play more.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
George O'Brien said:
D'Antoni should start Hunter and Jackson, bringing Q off the bench.QUOTE]

I think they are going to have to think about playing Q a lot less minutes!!
Obviously he can not score, and I do not see him doing more than anyone else can do in place of him. Even McCarty can guard people better than him, just by being there.
It will be tough until JJ comes back though.

If Barbosa could score a little, he could play more.
Exactly... What is the deal with him??? Even Hunter has more points than him.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I was really disappointed with the rating you gave Steven Hunter...I mean, the guy barely played enough to earn a "D"...

He didn't earn any minutes because his level of play was so poor. But I agree that he looked very good today. Think of it as a "mid-term" grade. :p

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yes, we lost, but I do know that the Spurs ARE beatable. If Shawn or Q had shown up and/or we had JJ, we would have won the game.

mribnik

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Yes, we lost, but I do know that the Spurs ARE beatable. If Shawn or Q had shown up and/or we had JJ, we would have won the game.

Yep. I also believe this team is more than capable of winning games in SA.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Q did a great job on Ginobili, but I wonder if Barry would have been as open as he was had JJ1 been in the game.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
It was a good game until the Spurs went totally insane in the 4th. I thought we played pretty well but when Barry hit those back-to-back 3's it was a dagger. What did they shoot, about 80% in the 4th? Hopefully we can regroup and find a way to play some defense.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I did expect the Suns to lose this game, but not like this. I thought they'd come out flat, fall into a big hole, and never quite be able to come back. Instead, they played a ragged first half, took command in the third quarter, and then suffered a complete defensive meltdown in the fourth. It's hugely disappointing. I agree that they're still in decent shape if they can win Game 2, but they are going to have to have a major attitude adjustment in order to get that done -- mainly, everyone has to be prepared to work hard for 48 minutes. Also, I'm a bit concerned that the Suns may have wasted Hunter's only good game of the series, but we'll see.

jibikao

Reaction score
Well, defensively Q is good but WE NEED OFFENSE.

Q had tons of wide open 3pt but could only make ONE... just one. Where the hell is his streaky shooting?

How come Spurs ALWAYS has bench to bail them out? In WCF agains the Mavs, Steve Kerr stepped up and hit 4/4 3pt in a row. WTF is that?

And now Barry...

Did Spurs do something to their heads? How come every bench that steps in is sooooooooo ready to play?

Look at our Barbosa...

Hunter was decent but he needs to improve his offense and calm down a bit. He got too nervous when he got the ball inside. Calm down and look for an open man instead of throwing the ball out like you don't want it.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
mribnik said:
Yep. I also believe this team is more than capable of winning games in SA.
Let's just hope so... This season has just been special to end here.

jibikao

Reaction score
We won't end here.

Let's get some rest and play our best game. I know losing JJ is awful but we only lost the game towards the end when Barry hits that 3pt. We were IN the game the whole time.

We just need to make our shots.

And Nash didn't even attempt 1 3pt today? Man, Spurs is really determined to take away Nash's 3pt...

That's when we need JJ the most.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
not panic mode yet, but you have to be pretty worried right now. JJ is not looking to be back until game 3, by then, if we're down 0-2, we have to play a team that is 38-3 at home.

So, that means we have to win gm. 2 without JJ, because if we don't, getting swept is a very real possibility. no pressure...

jibikao

Reaction score
Playing the best team has more to do with "mental" pressure than the actual pressure.

We HAD open shots. We still managed to score 114 pts. But Spurs' shooting was on fire.

Man, we are the best 3pt shooting team and we need to take more of them when we are open. So many times the lane was packed and Nash still goes in. Move around a bit.

Mental pressure... has a lot to do with how you handle in the 4th quarter. Spurs' players don't look panic at all. All the bench players know EXACTLY what they are going to do. Spurs always has bench players that can step up. What do we have besides Jim Jackson? Oh wait..he is a starter now.. :confused:

So we have NOBODY that can step in and play a decent game when our starters are struggling (Q and Marion). Hunter had some moments but not good enough.

Nash/Amare will have to do a lot more for us to win... sigh.

Barry came in... and he was so ready to take those 3pt that he usually won't take against any other teams. Those two are LONG 3pt.

Now in Game 2, whenever Barry steps in, STICK TO HIM.

Duncan, don't double team him. It's really not worth it. I know Duncan can score but one thing I do know is that whenever we double team a guy, OUR DEFENSE ROTATION LOOKS HORRIBLE.

When Duncan goes one-on-one, we at least know if Duncan misses, we can get a rebound and not giving up open shots.

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
JimJ was hot till the 4th when Pop put Bowen on him. Barry had been shooting hot and we let him open so many times in the 4th? That's coaching!

Spurs will always have Duncan or one of Parker and Manu to score one-on-one in the 4th. If we couldn't shut down everybody else we weren't gonna win unless we piled up big leads before the 4th. In this game, we let Parker drive too easily and too much. He scored way too easy. I'd rather concede outside jumpers to him.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
No fastbreak points and a lack of 4th quarter D cost us this game. The Spurs forced the Suns into a halfcourt game in the second half and I would expect that to happen all series. Next game is most important of the series IMO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan