Western Conference Semifinals Game 2- Mavericks @ Suns Game Thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
No what is embarrassing is your holier than thou attitude. So some people want to play SA.. excuse us for being fans.....:rolleyes:

I want to play SA - but I'm not gonna talk about them before we actually TAKE CARE OF THIS SERIES FIRST - why? Because I'll look pretty freaking foolish talking about that series if we DON'T GET OUT OF THIS ONE.

Sorry - man - that thread is embarassing - as is you're ridiculous notion that after a game that Finley pretty much won singlehandedly, that the Mavs can't play any better.

But why not start a thread about the Pistons while you're at it Clif? Don't you want to play them too? Wouldn't that seem a bit foolish?

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I want to play SA - but I'm not gonna talk about them before we actually TAKE CARE OF THIS SERIES FIRST - why? Because I'll look pretty freaking foolish talking about that series if we DON'T GET OUT OF THIS ONE.

Sorry - man - that thread is embarassing - as is you're ridiculous notion that after a game that Finley pretty much won singlehandedly, that the Mavs can't play any better.

But why not start a thread about the Pistons while you're at it Clif? Don't you want to play them too? Wouldn't that seem a bit foolish?

no.. because this is a message board where basketball FANS talk about *gasp* BASKETBALL!!

I would be concerned if I was actually playing or coaching but since I'm not I think it is perfectly Ok to talk about wanting to beat SA.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
no.. because this is a message board where basketball FANS talk about *gasp* BASKETBALL!!

I would be concerned if I was actually playing or coaching but since I'm not I think it is perfectly Ok to talk about wanting to beat SA.

really - then why don't we have a thread about AFTER THE SPURS... talking about the Pistons or Heat - why not look ahead to there? Why? Because it would be ridiculous - and why talk about something that might not even happen when you have a 7 game series right in front of you?

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
really - then why don't we have a thread about AFTER THE SPURS... talking about the Pistons or Heat - why not look ahead to there? Why? Because it would be ridiculous - and why talk about something that might not even happen when you have a 7 game series right in front of you?

It is no more ridiculous than talking about the draft or JJ's pending free agency.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
It is no more ridiculous than talking about the draft or JJ's pending free agency.

yeah it is. Those are thing that are so far in the future and we KNOW will happen - to talk about hypotheticals that could possibly won't even happen seems silly to me - especially in the iddle of a tough playoff sereis - that's just my opinion.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
yeah it is. Those are thing that are so far in the future and we KNOW will happen - to talk about hypotheticals that could possibly won't even happen seems silly to me - especially in the iddle of a tough playoff sereis - that's just my opinion.

I agree, we can't get ahead of ourselves. We need to win this series and then we can start worrying about the next one. There's no guarantee that we would even be facing SA.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
Dallas came out red hot in the first, but I thought the Suns played an excellent second half and there is no shame in this loss. It could have gone
either way, but Dallas made their shots all game (50%) and Finley was amazing.

Marion again played fantastic - 6 blocks! 9-18 shooting, 5-5 FT and 15 boards. Shawn is worth every penny of his contract! The team played very hard and is getting a feel for intense playoff basketball. Considering our youth and inexperience, as well as JJ's injury, I am impressed it was a 2 point game that could have gone either way.

If the Suns can take one in Dallas, I like our chances. If we lose both I
think they will close us out.

fordronken

Reaction score
They played like crap. Marion was the only starter with a respectable shooting percentage.

We just had one of our off games, plus Finley was hot, and Joe Johnson broke his face.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
goldseraph said:
Dallas came out red hot in the first, but I thought the Suns played an excellent second half and there is no shame in this loss. It could have gone
either way, but Dallas made their shots all game (50%) and Finley was amazing.

Marion again played fantastic - 6 blocks! 9-18 shooting, 5-5 FT and 15 boards. Shawn is worth every penny of his contract! The team played very hard and is getting a feel for intense playoff basketball. Considering our youth and inexperience, as well as JJ's injury, I am impressed it was a 2 point game that could have gone either way.

If the Suns can take one in Dallas, I like our chances. If we lose both I
think they will close us out.

to be honst - if I KNOW JJ will be back by Game 5 - I'd still wouldn't write us off if we were down 3-1. For some reason - if JJ's in the lineup - I just can't see the Mavs walking off the court ultimately victorious in this series.

fordronken

Reaction score
But on the plus side, if we lose the next three without JJ, we can probably afford to re-sign him.

Wait...what's that? Does anyone else hear that? Oh, it's the sound of me puking out my kidneys in frustration.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fordronken said:
But on the plus side, if we lose the next three without JJ, we can probably afford to re-sign him.

Wait...what's that? Does anyone else hear that? Oh, it's the sound of me puking out my kidneys in frustration.

oye!

King A

Registered
Reaction score
don't know if it has been mentioned before, but as I was watching the game today, I rewatched the final shot of Nowitzki and before he dribbled to drive by Q he hold the ball for about 7 seconds!! I mean the Chuckster did it but the refs have to call it from time to time. I mean they whistled for a 8 seconds violation against us.
I'm pissed and afraid of losing the series.
Damn it man

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
King A said:
don't know if it has been mentioned before, but as I was watching the game today, I rewatched the final shot of Nowitzki and before he dribbled to drive by Q he hold the ball for about 7 seconds!! I mean the Chuckster did it but the refs have to call it from time to time. I mean they whistled for a 8 seconds violation against us.
I'm pissed and afraid of losing the series.
Damn it man

he's allowed to hold it for 7 seconds. this isn't college with the 5 second rule.

King A

Registered
Reaction score
is it really 7 seconds?
i mean it's a really long time.
that's ridiculous

the fiba and nba rukles are really different

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
King A said:
is it really 7 seconds?
i mean it's a really long time.
that's ridiculous

the fiba and nba rukles are really different

he's actually allowed to hold it the entire clock. there is no rule like the 5 second rule in the nba.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought there was a 5 second rule when the player with the ball has his back to the basket for 5 seconds??? (Obviously that wasn't the case with Dirk)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
I thought there was a 5 second rule when the player with the ball has his back to the basket for 5 seconds??? (Obviously that wasn't the case with Dirk)

i don't think so. the rule in college is that a player with the ball in his hands must make a move towards the basket within 5 seconds if he is being guarded. that rule does not exist at the nba level.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
jbeecham said:

There is a 5 second backing down technical.

Section XVI-Five-Second Back-to-the-Basket Violation
An offensive player in his frontcourt below the free throw line extended shall not be permitted to dribble with his back or side to the basket for more than five seconds.
The count ends when (1) the player picks up the ball, (2) dribbles above the free throw line extended or (3) a defensive player deflects the ball away.
PENALTY: Loss of ball. The ball is awarded to the opposing team out-of-bounds on the nearest sideline at the free throw line extended.

I don't think Dirk was guilty of it on the last play. I did think he did commit it earlier in the game.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

A violation, not a technical, but I know that's what you meant. This rule is commonly believed to have been inspired by Charles Barkley, by the way.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:

A violation, not a technical, but I know that's what you meant. This rule is commonly believed to have been inspired by Charles Barkley, by the way.

Yep, that's why it's commonly known as the "Charles Barkley rule".

Joe Mama

King A

Registered
Reaction score
There is still no sense in that, I mean I play here in Germany in the lowest league you can play but still, if you don't dribble after 5 seconds you lose the possesion. That's FIBA rules and it does make sense.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05