Western Conference Semifinals Game 3- Suns @ Mavericks Game Thread

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you guys know I'm not a Suns fan, and never will be. I do like Amare, and I love Steve Nash, but I just don't like the Suns.

I am rooting for them to win this year...I think this team is good for basketball, and I can't stand the thought of Bigmouth Snaq winning a title while he continues to decline.

I think this will be the best series of the playoffs though...this 1980s bball is damn fun to watch...and the Suns look like they are playing a little defense too! Uh oh.

I'd like to see this go seven, only because the games are so fun to watch...San Antonio v. Phoenix is going to be a snoozer...the Sp*rs always turn bball into a yawner.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
San Antonio v. Phoenix is going to be a snoozer

Uh oh, bring out the jinx police.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I have to say though, Dirk was getting a lot of contact in the 2nd half and the refs swallowed their whistles.

I think the officiating definitely favored Phoenix in the second half, and that the Suns got lucky that Dallas couldn't hit a shot.

But you know what? I don't care. They needed to win this game, and they did. Now it's over and the Suns have to win only two of the next four. They probably won't win any more games in exactly the same way, but they don't need to, as long as they win. Right now they are about two inches away from being up 3-0.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If the league is lucky, it'll be the Suns VS the Sonics because that would be more entertaining basketball.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Right now they are about two inches away from being up 3-0.

Yup or if Amare had made the alley-oop dunk or layup on the next possession we would've at least gone into OT........oh well, we'll just have to take the next 2 games.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
If the league is lucky, it'll be the Suns VS the Sonics because that would be more entertaining basketball.

The best matchups would be Spurs Suns and Pistons Heat.

Those matchups have been hyped all season long. No reason to stop now.

jibikao

Reaction score
elindholm said:
I have to say though, Dirk was getting a lot of contact in the 2nd half and the refs swallowed their whistles.

I think the officiating definitely favored Phoenix in the second half, and that the Suns got lucky that Dallas couldn't hit a shot.

But you know what? I don't care. They needed to win this game, and they did. Now it's over and the Suns have to win only two of the next four. They probably won't win any more games in exactly the same way, but they don't need to, as long as they win. Right now they are about two inches away from being up 3-0.

I, too, think the refs helped Suns quite a bit in the 4th but Mavs had plenty of open shots and they just missed so many of them. That's not our fault is it?

And plus, I thought the Suns were in serious foul trouble in the first half. Many calls are very BS against the Suns. I thought the game was called pretty even....

and besides, Dirk really flops a lot. lol

Oh and also, Mavs took 27 FT and we took 22 FT. I hardly see the refs gave us favor in Game 3.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jbeecham said:

wha? the entire nation will be drooling for SA versus the Suns - Suns v. Sonics would be a blowout whereas SA v. Us would be a total war.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
wha? the entire nation will be drooling for SA versus the Suns - Suns v. Sonics would be a blowout whereas SA v. Us would be a total war.
I agree that the Suns-Spurs matchup is the anticipated matchup, but I think Suns-Sonics would be better entertaining basketball. The Spurs matchup would be more like a hockey/rugby/wrestling match than fun basketball.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Watching Larry Brown bitterly snivel, and Avery Johnson's passive-aggressive 'read my lips - Dirk don't get no respect' bullwash, I am incredibly pleased Mike D'Antoni doesn't whine, he doesn't make thinly veiled excuses or accusations, he doesn't drop hints - he just says what he says, politely, directly, and with humor. And to all their credit, our team was exceptionally diplomatic and supportive of the officials - indeed if Nash had praised the refs any more, it would have been too obvious, eh. LOL

I really LIKE our team.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
I agree that the Suns-Spurs matchup is the anticipated matchup, but I think Suns-Sonics would be better entertaining basketball. The Spurs matchup would be more like a hockey/rugby/wrestling match than fun basketball.

I don't know man - that 2nd game was one of the best games I've ever seen. I think there would be at least 4 of those in a possible matchup.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Suns opponents in the regular season averaged what like 100 PTS, they bring out the best of teams - at least to watch anyways because there haven't been too many losses.

Only Suns fans, know how good the defense can be...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
Suns opponents in the regular season averaged what like 100 PTS, they bring out the best of teams - at least to watch anyways because there haven't been too many losses.

That's a myth. Suns opponents score 100 points not because they're playing their best, it's because they have a lot more possessions than normal.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
That's a myth. Suns opponents score 100 points not because they're playing their best, it's because they have a lot more possessions than normal.

Exactly Chap, and it's amazing how much you have to explain this to people before they get it...

I tried to tell a guy at work that if we win 125-112, it doesn't mean we played bad defense because we gave up 112 points, we just score so fast, the opponent gets more shot attempts than in a normal game.

He's like, but still, that's a lot of points...

They just don't get it.

Mike

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

I'm still a little concerned that we will get there and then find out that we have no business even being compared to the Spurs. However, if we where to win that series I would expect a title.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Yup or if Amare had made the alley-oop dunk or layup on the next possession we would've at least gone into OT........oh well, we'll just have to take the next 2 games.

You could point to any shot in the 4Q of that game but really you're right they can put this series away and the Suns need to come out fighting hard becasue I don't think Dallas is going to fold like Memphis.

From another post As for the refs, the problem with refs is that any calls are so subjective most of the time that it almost never equals out in the course of the game. Amare get 2 guys on him around the hoop and it's easier to precive a foul over Dirk softly taking on guy on a drive. I think Amare also outshot Dirk on FT by a mile in the regular season, so you can't make to much of the dispearity.

What I hate is when the little General start chirping in his presser and every one knows that the refs hear about it and even if they are another crew know that Avery was calling us out.

I love you guys!

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

I know that Chaplin, I meant their best as in the entertainment factor, I mentioned only Suns fans know how good their defense is. I do agree however with the statement about more shots but I didn't actually mean they have there best games as in talent... the Suns play to that style and there's just not many teams that controlled the tempo against the Suns. It's entertaining to all involved...

King A

Registered
Reaction score
wilycoyote24 said:
I'm still a little concerned that we will get there and then find out that we have no business even being compared to the Spurs. However, if we where to win that series I would expect a title.

Boy! The Conference Finals are maybe just slightly harder than the NBA Finals, I mean whichever team comes out from the East is going to be a good one (referring to Detroit or Miami). Won't be kindergarten play for the West teams like from 99-03.

But I have to say that another lost Final wouldn't be very nice.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
goldseraph said:
I have to say though, Dirk was getting a lot of contact in the 2nd half and the refs swallowed their whistles. It seems like every time Amare makes a move he gets the call. Perhaps it is totally legitimate but I could see being annoyed if I were a Mavs fan.

Here's the difference between Amare and Dirk. Amare was powering to the [hole] and Dirk was flailing and fumbling around trying to initiate contact.

Anybody can run into a defender and throw the ball up, but that is certainly not in the spirit of the game of basketball. Even if some of the plays should have been fouls, refs don't want to call that weak stuff.

... though they do have a penchant for calling those taps in the back when a guy makes a layup.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

Exactly.

What describes better your team's defensive efficiency is OPP FG%.

Suns have the 14th best record in that category. That is far away from being a bad defensive team.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hcsilla said:
Exactly.

What describes better your team's defensive efficiency is OPP FG%.

Suns have the 14th best record in that category. That is far away from being a bad defensive team.

Yep. Actually the best measure of defense is probably that efficiency statistic war points per possession. Last night for example the Phoenix Suns probably held Dallas to a pretty good field-goal percentage, but they allowed a lot of offensive rebounds.

Joe Mama

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05