PG-Steve Nash
SG-Jim Jackson
SF-Quentin Richardson
PF-Shawn Marion
C-Amare Stoudemire

Game 5 prediction match-ups

Point guards
Steve Nash Vs Jason Terry

Steve Nash put the highest scoring game of the playoffs in game 4. Tallying 48 points on an amazing 20/28 shooting for 70% from the field. He made some circus shots and got to the paint at ease. The Mavericks didn't want the Suns beating them through Amare so they tried to make Nash more of a scorer. He played a great game offensively but he will not be pleased he only had 5 assists and 9 turnovers. The focus in this important game 5 will be pass first option. Getting Amare involved early and look for his shot when he needs to. Jason Terry again didn't hurt the Suns with his shooting or overal offense but did a very good job getting his team-mates involved. JT had 8 assists and really ran the offense well. He will be depended on to do the same again in game 5.

Shooting guards
Jim Jackson Vs Michael Finley

Jim Jackson was one of the few Suns who looked like he wanted to be out there in game 4. Scoring 11 points, 6 rebounds and 3 assists. He didn't give the production he managed in game 3 but did a soild enough job but again will be needed to give more in game 5. He is a very experienced player who knows what he needs to do to help this team win. Jax really needs to go to work more in the post. He can really take advantage of any match-up downlow due to his size and strength. Thats something they need to do. Michael Finley had another inconsistant performance in game 4, scoring just 9 points on 3-8 shooting while not doing much else across the board. The Mavs will look to get more out of him in game 5. Certainly after the way he shot the ball in his last visit to Phoenix.

Small Forwards
Josh Howard Vs Quentin Richardson

Josh Howard was simply unstoppable in game 4. He played by far his best game of the playoffs and killed the Suns on the offensive glass. Howard finished off with 29 points, 10 rebounds on 13-21 shooting. He put up the kind of numbers we expect to see out of Dirk Nowitzki. When he plays like this the Mavs are on a whole new level offensively. He was a big reason why the Suns couldn't get enough stops. He crashed the glass hard and made it impossible for the Suns to make runs. Quentin Richardson shot 50% and had 12 points and 7 rebounds but was clearly got played at this position in game 4. Q needs to step up his game for 5. He is due for a great shooting night and a 20 point performance. Hopfully he steps up in game 5 and produces. He can't let Howard out-do him this bad again.

Power Forward
Shawn Marion Vs Dirk Nowitzki

Shawn Marion put up 19 points and 12 rebounds in game 4 on 9-18 shooting but didn't have that the way about him that he did in game 3. He needs to be full of energy for game 5 tonight. Stats wise he is doing everything thats being asked of him. He is one of the guy guys on defense and must show plenty of effort in game 5. Lack of stops were a big part in the game 4 loss. Dirk Nowitzki had a very good shooting performance after a horrible one in game 3. Dirk shot 9-15 for 25 points with 8 rebounds and really got going early. Something he needs to do for game 5. When he gets off to fast starts the Mavs normally are very consistant on both ends.

centers
Amare Stoudemire Vs Erick Dampier

For the first time this year, Amare Stoudemire did not dominate the Mavericks. Amare had just 8 shots and finished with just 15 points and 5 rebounds. The Mavs wanted to make Steve Nash beat them and not Amare. It's clear the Suns need Amare to play a great game to win this one. Suns will need to make the right adjustments to get Amare going. They can't just rely on the pick and roll. Amare needs to find different ways to attack. Erick Dampier had very good game inside with 13 points, 11 rebounds and 4 block shots. When he got in foul trouble this time, Avery Johnson kept him in the game but Dampier did a very soild job of playing tough defense and avoiding cheap fouls. When he stays in the game and avoids early foul trouble the Mavs have won both games in this series. Thats the key right there.

Benches

The Suns bench got even less in game 4 than they did in game 3. Just 3 points came off the Suns bench in game 4. Again all from Barbosa. With JJ's injury and lack of depth that is the kind of thing that will happen. Jim Jackson is doing a job of double fiqures but thats as a starters role. More energy and production from the bench is important, certainly if they get in foul trouble. Dallas got 36 points from their bench. As you would expect most of their points came from Jerry Stackhouse who poured in 22. Anyone expecting him to get booed tonight? will It effect his game? most likely not.

Key's to the game

Mavericks
  • Dirk needs to get off to a good start early. When that happens good things always happen for Dallas. He shot 9-15 in game 4.
  • Get more production out of Michael Finley. Finley struggled again in game 4, scoring just 9 points. Maybe going back to Phoenix he will play a better game. It's a place where he tends to play well.
  • Erick Dampier had a strong performance in game 4. 13 points, 11 rebounds and 4 blocks. Seems he has a habit of playing a good game followed by a bad game. He must stay consistant and stay out of foul trouble.
  • Must play smart basketball and not turn It over. On the Suns homecourt the last thing you can afford to do is let the fans get into the game.
Suns
  • Amare must find more ways to score as I'm sure Dallas is going to use the same game plan to try and make Nash play more of an offensive role. It's the Suns job to get Amare going early.
  • Keep running and running. Force turnovers and try get some easy fastbreak points. All that would be due to defense. The Suns did not get enough stops when It mattered in game 4 so that has to change.
  • Suns must get Mavs center Erick Dampier in foul trouble. The games the Suns have got him in early foul trouble are the games the Suns have won. When he stays on the floor he is very effective
  • Once again the bench needs to give more when given court time. Suns have gotten just 8 points in the last two games off the bench. That certainly needs to change for game 5.
Final thoughts and predictions

The Dallas Mavericks tied the game of 7 series at 2-2 after winning game 4 in Dallas 119-109. Behind 25 points from Dirk Nowitzki but Josh Howard's 29 points and 10 rebounds was the big story. Erick Dampier staying on the court for 13 points, 11 rebounds and 4 blocks. Steve Nash had the most points in the playoffs so far with 48 points but had just 5 assists and 9 turnovers.

The Mavericks made the right adjustments and tried to make Steve Nash beat them and clogged the lane so Amare Stoudemire would not dominate inside which went to plan for the Mavs. Amare had just 8 FGA and only 15 points and 5 rebounds. The Suns must find a way to get Amare back involved. The up side is after a subpar game Amare has always bounced back and I fully expect back in at home that Amare will come out strong and have a huge game. Suns will make the right adjustments for game 5. Which is what the playoffs are all about.

The Suns know they need to win this game, the numbers don't lie. The team that has won game 5 of a series tied at 2-2 has gone onto to win the series 84% of the time. I'm confident the Suns will bounce back and take game 5 and head into Dallas with a 3-2 advantage.

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Amare had better show up tonight with some energy, or we will be doomed unless D'Antoni grows a pair and uses his bench to make a point. I expect nash to have a good game with less turnovers, They need to attack the glass at both ends and we will be fine, I wish they would not take games for granted and play hard in all post season games. we should be closing out the series tonight instead of fighting just to protect home court. Go Suns!!!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If Nash is going to do all of the scoring anyway, maybe Hunter should see more time. D'Antoni's usual argument against using Hunter is that he wants to have five scorers on the floor. But if Dallas's strategy is to make Nash beat them, it doesn't really matter whether he has four scorers as teammates or only three, right?

OP
OP
Amare32

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
It's important but not as much as the ones mentioned. Suns have struggled keeping teams off the glass all year. So It isn't as big of a factor. No doubt they need to do It but still there's no reason why it will suddenly change.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Suns were outrebounded by only six total in Game 4, including three offensive rebounds. That's not good, but it's hardly a disaster. Allowing Dallas to shoot better than 55% was a much bigger problem.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I think amare needs to be agressive but patient as well. when he scored 25 in one half, he attacked the basket when the lanes were open and when there was a missmatch.

Our defensive rotation will win or lose this game for us. Q is really needing some work in this area especially. the mavs have been geting too many drives and open jumpers. i'm ok with dirk fading from 18 with a hand in his face, but not finley or stack taking wide open threes.

I think the suns will com out ready. Looking forwrd to seeing a inspired team.

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
elindholm said:
The Suns were outrebounded by only six total in Game 4, including three offensive rebounds. That's not good, but it's hardly a disaster.

I agree.

In fact the Suns have been out-rebounded in three of the four games this series. The one game they had the edge in rebounding? Game two - go figure.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
elindholm said:
The Suns were outrebounded by only six total in Game 4, including three offensive rebounds. That's not good, but it's hardly a disaster. Allowing Dallas to shoot better than 55% was a much bigger problem.

I think the problem was second-chance points. It seemed like most of Dallas' offensive rebounds were taken at the front of the rim.

Anyway, the Suns are seven-point favorites tonight, so somebody must like their chances. :D

I think they'll come out with much better energy than in game 4, so they should have a good chance to win and take control of the series again. They've had three days to figure some things out, so they should have a much different look tonight, too--I think Amare is going to be shooting the ball from outside quite a bit in the first quarter, but there are going to be other changes, too, that I'll have to wait another hour to see.

Should be a good one! :thumbup:

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
Come on SUNS!!!! The wait for this game has seemed interminable!
I kind of have a bad feeling but maybe that's just jitters. The Suns should
be fairly rested and ready to give it their all in front of the home court...
they have to treat this like a GAME 7!!!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to freak out here. COME ON SUNS!

DB!

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
I am PUUUUUUUUUUUUMPED!

Lets go Suns!

We HAVE to set the Tone. They think they have worked us out. WRONG! Amare needs to show them that there is no stopping greatness.

Marion needs to get involved and play all nba 1st team defense. I hope Q mixes it up a bit inside and out and Barbosa, hunter and JJax, it's your time to shine and pick up the slack.

Lets go SUNS!

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Well, I have to say Dallas has control and we don't look too good... Don't have a good feeling about this game unless Suns turn it up few notches both offensively and defensively.

jibikao

Reaction score
It's just half time guys!

Amare was too hyper. He needs to take care of his ball when he dribbles inside.

Our energy was there. We got quite a few offensive rebounds but we have ZERO bench production. ZERO. Hunter dribbling deserves to get benched. He should have known that a center shouldn't dribble like that.

Nash needs to figure out how to get the teammates involved. His passing seems a step slower especially to Amare. Maybe it's the after-effect from Game 4 where Amare missed quite a few catches.

Oh god... we need more energy. Mavs is shooting way too well.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first half sure looked like we didn't make much of an adjustment from game 4. We're in trouble unless Q, Marion and Jackson get hot and stay that way.

jibikao

Reaction score
Q certainly isn't hot. Marion was pretty solid.. but he should have finished those two fast breaks. Damn, Stackhouse is too nasty right now.

Hopefully Mavs will be cold in the 2nd half. Right now, they are shooting with too much confidence.

The good news is I think both Dirk/Dampier have 3 fouls?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
We need production from JJax and Q. I don't care about bench as long as we get good balanced production by all starters. The game is pretty even except for shooting %. We are flat offensively. I would say the hustle is their but need to make shots.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
*sigh*

Sad if it has to end like this.

It'll be very, very disappointing to bow out in this round. I don't care what the preseason expectations were, when you have the best record going into the playoffs very few teams lose in round two.

But, you also have to realize Dallas is far from dog crap. They won 58 games and had San Antonio in their division. Once Johnson went down, our depth became a major issue. They are just a deeper team.

I'm not abandoning ship though!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan