PG-Jason Terry
SG-Michael Finley
SF-Josh Howard
PF-Dirk Nowitzki
C-Erick Dampier

Game 6 prediction match-ups

Point guards
Steve Nash Vs Jason Terry

Steve Nash had yet another amazing performance in game 5 registering his first ever career playoff triple double. 34 points, 13 rebounds and 12 assists. While shooting 13-26 from the field. The Mavericks for some reason refused to guard him and the pick and roll hurt the Mavs but for different reasons. Instead of It going to Amare, they stayed at home and let Nash shoot many 15-17 footers which he nailed. Nash has scored 82 points in his last two games. This time though he got guys involved which is what he needs to do again in game 6. He should be given the chance to score again but getting guys involved first will be important. Jason Terry had a strong peformance offensively with 17 points and also had 8 assists but even though he got assists he couldn't control the pick and roll or do the same offensively. He is certainly not a true point guard. He needs to try and exploit Steve Nash offensively for Dallas have to have a better chance to win.

Shooting guards
Jim Jackson Vs Michael Finley

Jim Jackson had the best game of his playoffs this year with 21 points in game 5 which included 15 in the 4th. He shot 9-14 from the field while pulling down 5 rebounds in over 45 minutes of action. He was simply great in game 5 and made the huge plays when Nash was sitting at the start of the 4th. Jimmy will again need to play the same kind of game for game 6 in Dallas. He is the key to the team no doubt. Michael Finley again struggled in game 5, scoring just 7 points on 3-11 shooting. He got killed badly in this match-up and unless Dallas can get more out of him I don't see the Mavericks winning two in a row.

Small Forwards
Josh Howard Vs Quentin Richardson

Quentin Richardson struggled from the field and didn't make a single three-point shot. He scored just 7 points while also getting into foul trouble. He did however do a soild job getting to the rim and drawing the defense giving more chances for Amare inside. Q is due for a breakout game, here's hoping tonight is the night. Josh Howard had another very strong game with 19 points and 10 rebounds in game 5 in response to his 29 and 10 in game 4. Howard shot 8-13 overall for his 19 points. He did a very good job attacking hit and the mid-range shot. He needs to keep up his play going into game 6.

Power Forward
Shawn Marion Vs Dirk Nowitzki

Shawn Marion struggled from the field in game 5 shooting just 7/18 bur he still scored 16 points and pulled down 10 rebounds along with 2 block shots. He missed some easy shots he normally makes but did a good enough job on both ends to help his team win. He will again be key to closing this thing out tonight in game 6. Need to get better looks inside and not just settle for the jumpshot. Dirk Nowitzki has another strong game with 34 points and 11 rebounds on 11-22 shooting. He was feeling It all night but when the game was on the line he couldn't make the shots when It mattered. Dallas will need him in the clutch for game 6.

centers
Amare Stoudemire Vs Erick Dampier

Amare Stoudemire rebounded well from a poor game 4 and poured in 33 points and 18 rebounds on 10-17 shooting and 13-15 from the free-throw line. Which also included 3 block shots. He did a great job in the 2nd half of taking It to the basket. He had 14 rebounds in the 2nd half and 21 points. He really took It to the Mavericks inside. He must play with the same mind set tonight as he did in game 5 and the Suns could be going to the conference finals. Erick Dampier meanwhile did a job on the boards with 14 and had 3 blocks but was 0-7 from the field in 36 minutes and again got in foul trouble. He must stay out of foul trouble in game 6 and give them more offensively inside.

Benches

Suns bench again scored only 3 points compared to the Mavericks 29. All coming from Jerry Stackhouse but again the bench play wasn't a huge factor

Key's to the game

Mavericks
  • Dirk needs to step up in the clutch. He had big numbers in game 5 but didn't look to take over enough when the game was in the balence to start the 4th.
  • Get more production out of Michael Finley. Not the first time me mentioning this. Finley has been missing in action the past 3 games since his great game 2 performance.
  • Erick Dampier must stay on the floor and give them more offensively. He can use his size inside to at least try and get the Suns forwards in foul trouble. We know what he can do defensively.
  • At least try and guard Nash. The Mavericks tried to let him beat them but in the process let him open for an easy 15 footer at leats 8-10 times. A shooter like Nash is going to knock those down 70% of the time.
Suns
  • Amare got back to his dominating self in game 5 with 33 points and 18 rebounds. He also got to the line 15 times. Which is the kind of performance the Suns hoped for. Amare will need to take It strong to the basket hard again for this important game 6.
  • Have another good game from Jim Jackson. Jimmy who had 21 points and 5 rebounds in game 5 will need his offense and overall defense for game 6 to take more pressure off the big 3.
  • Michael Finley has struggled since his big performance in game 2 so keeping his scoring down again will be key. He has scored a combined 16 points in the last two games.
  • The Mavs are going to come out with loads of energy so getting off to a fast start is a must. It's hard to win in that kind of atmosphere on the road and come back to win If you start off slow.
Final thoughts and predictions

The Phoenix Suns won game 5 to take a 3-2 series lead against the Dallas Mavericks by winning 114-108 at the america west arena. Led by Steve Nash's triple double of 34 points, 13 rebounds and 12 assists. Amare Stoudemire with 33 points and 18 rebounds but the big story was Jim Jackson's 21 points and 5 rebounds which included 15 in the 4th. He came up huge for the Suns in the 4th and now the Suns are one game away from a place in the conference finals.

There is no doubt that the Dallas Mavericks are going to come out with full of energy in game 6. Their season is on the line tonight. A do or die game and I'm sure their fans will be behind them the whole way. The Detroit Pistons and the San Antonio Spurs closed out their series in 6. Both went into the lower seed's house up 3-2 with a chance to close out. That did what great championship level teams do, they closed the door and did not allow the other team to have a sniff to take It back to a game 7. The Suns must do the same tonight. Set the tone early and don't let up.

I don't think I could handle a game 7, even If It is on our home floor. It's time to close this series out and move onto the conference finals which would start on sunday with a Suns win tonight. I have alot of confidence we can close this thing out tonight and move onto the conference finals.

Last edited:

jibikao

Reaction score
After watching Piston took 4-2 and Spurs took 4-2... I want a 4-2 now!!!!

I am a very jealous kid. Suns should get this over with!!!

AZZenny

Reaction score
The Suns must do the same tonight. Set the tone early and don't let up.

I think how the Suns come out tonight will say a lot about whether they've really figured out being in the Playoffs yet or not. Have they finally understood the self-control and pure Force of Will required to be champions? Nash knows. JJax gave them a Master Class in game 5. Amare looked like maybe he was getting it. Time for him to hit warp drive.

They somehow need to lighten their touch on the ball early - just a couple fewer clankers early on would help a ton with momentum - too often looked like they were pitching a fastball rather than driving or lofting it in (my friend said, 'Geez, guys - you're not Roger Clemens!!')

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm making a prediction: Q has a monster game.

He's due for one.

(oh and the suns win :) )

jibikao

Reaction score
thirty-two said:
I'm making a prediction: Q has a monster game.

He's due for one.

(oh and the suns win :) )

Q needs to find his shots back tonight. We can't go to Game 7 with him shooting so poorly.

If he can shoot so well, it will help Amare a lot. Mavs will not be able to double team Amare that much.

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
Steve Nash is god!

Awesome comeback tonight

Also, Great job by Marion finally getting back on track and having a great game.

Bring on the Spurs!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH MY GOD.

Steve Nash is SICK. Absolutely SICK.

What an incredible performance by him, especially in the last minutes of regulation and OT. Props to Marion, too. ANd hell, props to Hunter.

I LOVE THIS TEAM. BRING ON THE SPURS, baby!!!!!

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
all i can say... HEART OF THE CHAMPION !!!

Mr. MVP has done it again, he orchestrated the entire comback by scoring and dishing out assists left and right

this team is just unbelievable, if Nash can continue playing at this level, we might have a chance gainst San Antonio

cant wait till sunday !!

GO SUN !!! oH yEAH :koolaid:

ps. i hate bill walton as one of the anouncer

OP
OP
Amare32

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Suns Vs Spurs is finally here, post your predictions..

going to be a fun series

hopfully Joe is back for game 1

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
and with q's shot awol the entire series.

just huge. little stevie nash is my favorite person in all of creation tonight. just has balls the size of cuba.

mribnik

Reaction score
No Amare, No JJ, everybody and their mother in foul trouble, and the suns overcome a 4 point deficit with 2 minutes left in the game to send the game into OT on the road. I love this team.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
What a win! What a game!

I will gladly admit that I was wrong in the chat when I thought this game was over in the 3rd qtr. Can you really blame me though? We had shown no heart up to that point, energy was lacking, Q and Amare were pretty much useless, we played zero D (especially in the paint), and we weren't rebounding.

*begins eating crow* Having said all that then our MVP Steve Nash and Shawn Marion stood up and took over. That was plain and simply amazing

I just hope we had a proctologist on staff because we pulled that game out of our ass. I mean seriously HOW IN THE HELL DID WE WIN THIS GAME?!!

Aye carumba! I swear this team is trying to kill me

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GIVE ME A HUGE PLATE OF SHAWN MARION CROW - SLATHERED IN ***-SAUCE!

Nash - we don't pay him enough - Marion - career defining game tonight - kept us in it through 3 - fell off in the fourth - but we got to OT and he WAS DYNAMITE!

I can't say enough about this team - but I can say this - BRING ON SAN ANTONIO!

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Whew!

:D

Thank goodness that is over. I am so sick of the Mavs.

Great job by the Suns to step up and respond when they were down by 16.

GO SUNS!!!!!

:thumbup:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I wasn't in the chat, but when it got to 80-64 in the third, I about gave up hope. Then they got it down to 11 and I thought, "If they can cut it to seven to start the fourth, then maybe." Actually Dallas ran it back up to seven at the end of the third, but it was still close enough to keep me interested, and Nash was starting to have That Look.

And then in the fourth quarter, the Suns finally figured out that the officials weren't going to call body shoves in the lane, so they took Nowitzki out of his game. Nash kept creating easy scores, Dallas got tight, and the role players maintained the energy level without trying to do too much. Stoudemire was intimidated by Dampier, but the Suns were better tonight without him on the floor anyway, because it helped everyone else stay more active. In particular, Marion rose to the challenge, even willing to go at Nowitzki one-on-one when that was the best option.

Incredibly gutsy win, probably the best of the season even if you don't consider the playoff circumstances. During the most important minute of the season, the Suns had McCarty at center and Barbosa at shooting guard. Everyone believes in themselves, because Nash believes in them, and he's playing so well that everyone assumes he must be right.

Just one question, though: Does Richardson ever make both free throws after getting fouled? It seems like he goes 1-2 at least 90% of the time. The only reason he shoots better than 50% from the line is because of three-point plays.

Nash was one rebound short of another triple-double tonight. First the 48-point game, and then nearly two triple-doubles in a row. That's flat out amazing.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
That is the most animated I've been about a basketball game since about 1996. It was a very gutsy comeback, I still can hardly believe it. With Stoudemire fouled out, and the crappy effort we gave in the first half I really did not expect this! Marion and Nash were AWESOME and we got contributions from Hunter, McCarty, and J Jax.

I don't think I'll be able to sleep for several hours, I'm still AMPED UP. GO SUNS!!!!!! What a freaking awesome year!!! :thumbup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05