What are you reading now?

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
That is an outlandishly funny book.

I hope. I read bits and parts in Borders and I knew I had to buy it.

Should provide a good break as 3 of my recent book purchases are The God Delusion, End of Faith, and Portable Atheist.

I am interested in those but not sure I could read them all back to back.

I am a sucker for ****** trash though. Motley Cure Dirt, the Confessions of a Video Vixen, etc. It provides a good break from my usual non fiction stuff.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I just finished up The Camel Club by David Baldacci - first time i've read anything of his and it was pretty fun - dragged in a couple spots and took a minute for all the pieces to start hitting, but when it did it was really good

then went onto Candy Girl by Diablo Cody - she is behind the movie Juno - recounts her time spent as a stripper in Mpls - as someone who has been to strip clubs in Mpls i snagged it from why wife when she was done - definitely aimed toward the female crowd and really doesn't go anywhere, but still an OK read

my wife picked me up a copy of Swine Not by Jimmy Buffett - very light and breezy read - moves away from his traditional themes - but I enjoyed it, i think the younger set would like it more though

now i'm re-reading an old reliable - Following the Equator by Mark Twain - love the descriptions, the satire, politcal & social commentary along with his humor in this book - i also kind of enjoy the informal way this was put together

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was very funny, somewhat offensive, but hysterical nonetheless. The ASFN bookstore on that one ended with Ryan, iirc. I think he's who I sent it to.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I used to read a lot when I travelled on those long, boring flights, but now I avoid flying! The last book I read was The Lovely Bones and that was last summer.

I just got on Ebay a used copy of The Bronx is Burning - never got around to seeing the made for TV movie on ESPN. Fascinating - even if you're not a a Yankees fan (which I'm not).

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H

I finished this book in 1 day. I picked it up to read the 1st chapter as I haven't finished End of Faith yet and found myself unable to put down I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.

That guy is pretty funny. Especially enjoyed the mascot fight story and the story where he and his g/f do something for the 1st time and he has his friend taping in the closet.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A friend told me that The Garden of Last Days is coming out this week and has heard great reviews. I think I will read it after she finishes the book.
You must be registered for see images attach

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finished this book in 1 day. I picked it up to read the 1st chapter as I haven't finished End of Faith yet and found myself unable to put down I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.

That guy is pretty funny. Especially enjoyed the mascot fight story and the story where he and his g/f do something for the 1st time and he has his friend taping in the closet.
My kids kept asking me what I was reading that had me laughing so hard...I just told them to go away. Didn't know what else to say.

If that story is true...wow.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Just want to say, "In Hostile Territory" is turning out to be an excellent read with lots of insights into business, competition, planning, leadership, and so on that I never have thought about -- all interwoven with exciting little espionage vignettes that illustrate the key points. Much better book than I expected, and I'm going to get copies for a couple people I know who are self-employed or trying to move up in small business settings.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up Agent ZigZag today based on Mulli's recommendation. Looks good, but i was surprised to see it was a newer hardcover since Mulli is such a cheapskate.

Thanks for the heads-up on that. ;)

I'll probably start it late next week. I'm going to a wedding in the mountains for the weekend, and I suspect that I'll be left behind in the lodge quite a bit so I want to make sure I have something good to read.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found myself unable to put down I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.

That guy is pretty funny. Especially enjoyed the mascot fight story

His mascot story is online if anyone wants to read it (warning, not language safe) Here.

I lurk from time to time on his website and he has casted and has funding for a movie based loosely on the Austin Road Trip story. They start filming in mid-July and it will be released summer of 2009.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am reading this guys stuff right now.

http://www.bradthor.com/

I am on Blowback. He is pretty damn good.

Although not as good as this guy:

http://www.vinceflynn.com/

Both have a similar feel though.

I haven't started Brad Thor. I did read Joel Rosenberg's Last Jihad and Last Days. OK books but they don't hold a candle to VF. Not sure if I'm going to continue those.

Good news from the Vince site "Extreme Measures" comes out 10/28/08. Looks like I will have to Amazon pre-order. And it looks like a film was finally optioned for him.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't started Brad Thor. I did read Joel Rosenberg's Last Jihad and Last Days. OK books but they don't hold a candle to VF. Not sure if I'm going to continue those.

Good news from the Vince site "Extreme Measures" comes out 10/28/08. Looks like I will have to Amazon pre-order. And it looks like a film was finally optioned for him.

Would you like me to mail you the thor collection when Im done? That way you can read them free? just mailem back media mail when your done?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I just started reading Chuck Palahniuk latest book Snuff. I expect another strange but entertaining story--this'll be the 4th book of his I've read.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm about halfway through Agent Zigzag. It's good.
...Those wacky Germans. :shakeshead:

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just finished "The Great Derangement" by Matt Taibbi. Entertainingly light political fair. Potentially offensive to all parties, which makes it a nice book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05