What are you reading now?

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Matt Taibbi is one of my favorite journalists. He always has the goods at Rolling Stone.

I just ordered The Last Campaign: RFK and 82 Days That Inspired America. I'm looking forward to this one. During the anniversary week of his assassination they had the author (Thurston Clarke) and he discussed RFK and it was saddening to see what was taken away at that time.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I'm a little embarrassed, but I've started this book. It's actually really interesting reading about what he did for the Rambo and Rocky movies. He's talking about how he overtrained for these movies. He got down to 2.8% body fat for Rocky 3!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I just bought Battle Royale by Koushun Takami. The English translation of course. I never saw the Japanese movie but have been told its one of the most violent ever made.

Its basically about a bunch of 9th graders thrown on an island with food, water and a weapon and told to fight to the death.

I haven't started it yet but its supposed to be a very quick read.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished Zigzag (really good, but dragged on too long, I think). Now I'm digging into Chuck Palahniuk's "Rant."

Amazon.com said:
Product Description
Buster “Rant” Casey just may be the most efficient serial killer of our time. A high school rebel, Rant Casey escapes from his small town home for the big city where he becomes the leader of an urban demolition derby called Party Crashing. Rant Casey will die a spectacular highway death, after which his friends gather the testimony needed to build an oral history of his short, violent life. With hilarity, horror, and blazing insight, Rant is a mind-bending vision of the future, as only Chuck Palahniuk could ever imagine.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Ghost by Fred Burton.
In the mid-eighties, the idea of defending Americans against terrorism was still new. But a trio of suicide bombings in Beirut–including one that killed 241 marines and forced our exit from Lebanon–had changed the mindset and mission of the Diplomatic Security Service (DSS), the arm of the State Department that protects U.S. embassy officials across the globe. Burton, a member of DSS’s tiny but elite Counterterrorism Division, was plunged into a murky world of violent religious extremism spanning the streets of Middle Eastern cities and the informant-filled alleys of American slums. From battling Libyan terrorists and their Palestinian surrogates to having facing down hijackers, hostages, and Hezbollah double agents, Burton found himself on the front lines of America’s first campaign against Terror.

I'll probably give it 4 stars. It's interesting in terms of getting a sense of the process of CT work from an insider (who was basically a good bureaucrat, not a field agent) and fairly well-written. I'm enjoying it, but it's not a compelling read -- maybe because I know an awful lot about many of the topics and characters and was hoping for really new info.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put "Rant" down. Just couldn't get into it and life is too short.

So, now I'm reading "The Tao of Pooh" and listening to Ron Paul's "Revolution."

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"The Yiddish Policeman's Union" by Micheal Chabon

I really like Chabon. He writes a really readable novel. This one is no exception.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The computer screen...HA.

I bet this is one of many posts that state that lame joke.

Cesar Milan's Dog book.

Pretty good, but he pretty much says that 95% of us shouldn't have dogs, and should be a cat.

I agree but unfortunately my wife does not.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The computer screen...HA.

I bet this is one of many posts that state that lame joke.

Cesar Milan's Dog book.

Pretty good, but he pretty much says that 95% of us shouldn't have dogs, and should be a cat.

I agree but unfortunately my wife does not.
Agreed. Every time we go out of town for a week it costs a ton of money to board our two dogs! Last time it was more than a week and the tab came to $400! Next time it's a cat. My mom had one that you could put food out, it was an outdoor cat so no cat box, and the neighbor only had to check on it's food and water every couple days. Our dogs would eat all the food, spill the water, and be dead in like two days time. And I have smart dogs! LOL!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Coyote Blue," by Christopher Moore

From Christopher Moore, author of Fluke, comes a quirky, irreverent novel of love, myth, metaphysics, outlaw biking, angst, and outrageous redemption. As a boy growing up in Montana, he was Samson Hunts Alone -- until a deadly misunderstanding with the law forced him to flee the Crow reservation at age fifteen. Today he is Samuel Hunter, a successful Santa Barbara insurance salesman with a Mercedes, a condo, and a hollow, invented life. Then one day, shortly after his thirty-fifth birthday, destiny offers him the dangerous gift of love -- in the exquisite form of Calliope Kincaid -- and a curse in the unheralded appearance of an ancient Indian god by the name of Coyote. Coyote, the trickster, has arrived to transform tranquility into chaos, to reawaken the mystical storyteller within Sam . . . and to seriously screw up his existence in the process.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Coyote Blue," by Christopher Moore

From Christopher Moore, author of Fluke, comes a quirky, irreverent novel of love, myth, metaphysics, outlaw biking, angst, and outrageous redemption. As a boy growing up in Montana, he was Samson Hunts Alone -- until a deadly misunderstanding with the law forced him to flee the Crow reservation at age fifteen. Today he is Samuel Hunter, a successful Santa Barbara insurance salesman with a Mercedes, a condo, and a hollow, invented life. Then one day, shortly after his thirty-fifth birthday, destiny offers him the dangerous gift of love -- in the exquisite form of Calliope Kincaid -- and a curse in the unheralded appearance of an ancient Indian god by the name of Coyote. Coyote, the trickster, has arrived to transform tranquility into chaos, to reawaken the mystical storyteller within Sam . . . and to seriously screw up his existence in the process.
I loved Lamb. Great book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05