What are you reading now?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm reading Flashforward...the book that the TV series is based on. It's good; I like it.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I just finished...
You must be registered for see images

It was a good alternate history book. The Germans execute Operation Sea Lion with a twist, the invasion that was planned to the south was only a feint and the true invasion was on the northern coast with the invasion fleet coming from the North Sea rather than the English Channel.

http://www.seelowe-nord.co.uk/

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
THE LAST STAND by Nathaniel Philbrick "Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little Big Horn"

Really looking forward to getting started on it as I'm fascinated by this battle.

Last edited:

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Just started reading the original Dracula by Bram Stoker for the first time since high school (about 20 years). Thought I'd give it another read through. Digging it so far.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I am about halfway through The Catcher in the Rye. After hearing about how it was one of the greatest American novels of all time I decided I needed to read it. I honestly like it and think it is well written but I can say it might be a bit overrated--not so great that it blows me away.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Heading off to Mexico for a week with the Mrs. I've checked out "Slaughterhouse Five", "White Noise", and "The Picture of Dorian Gray" from the library.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am about halfway through The Catcher in the Rye. After hearing about how it was one of the greatest American novels of all time I decided I needed to read it. I honestly like it and think it is well written but I can say it might be a bit overrated--not so great that it blows me away.

Well CITR is all about relating to the character and is my favorite book of all time personally.

I'm rather partial to tales of teenage alienation and the despising of "phonies".

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Well CITR is all about relating to the character and is my favorite book of all time personally.

I'm rather partial to tales of teenage alienation and the despising of "phonies".

I didn't dislike the book but from all the reviews and all the top 25 American books of all time stuff I just expected something more enlightening or entertaining. To me it wasn't in the same quality of books like Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men, To Kill a Mockingbird or In Cold Blood(not fiction I know)...of course to be not as good as those books isn't really a harsh criticism.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"Paul is Undead - The British Zombie Invasion" by Alan Goldsher

John, Paul and George are zombies. Ringo is a Seventh Level Ninja Lord. I had no idea.

This book is the toppermost of the poppermost. It's also dead grotty. And if you have a little smile on your face right now, then you are going to LOVE this book.

Last edited:

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
Cormac McCarthy.
Finished "Blood Meridian" & "Outer Dark".
Started "Suttree".
He's the guy that wrote "No Country for Old Men" & "The Road".

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool book. Been a long time since read that.
I'm reading it pretty slow, so maybe I'm just bnot getting in the groove with it. I think it's just okay. It reads more like a Vonnegut than a Heinlein, to me. It's more snarky that some of his other stuff.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Pregnent Widow by Martin Amis. Deftless prose, but unless you came of age in the 60's or early 70's a bit difficult to appreciate.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Letters to my Torturer by Houshang Asadi.

Incredible book. Asadi was a young Iranian writer and communist first arrested by the Shah's notorious Savak in the late 1970's, and he shared a prison cell with Iran's current leader, Ayatollah Khameini, for several months.

The strange, intense bond that formed was the only thing that kept him from being hung ten years later when Iran's clerical regime went about systematically torturing and killing tens of thousands of people who had fought along with them to overthrow the Shah, but who did not fit their planned Talibanization of Iran.

The book is a series of 26 'letters' he wrote (25 years later) from exile to 'Brother Hamid,' the interrogator who controlled every moment, every bodily function, and ultimately, every thought in his head for two years of constant torture and isolation.

Each chapter is more than a letter -- the narrative weaves personal history, Iran's cultural and political backstory, and current day developments seamlessly through the eyes of someone now looking back on the dissolution of the world as he knew it, forever.

He suffered a relapse of chronically severe PTSD and had a heart attack writing the book, but as it progresses, he also very clearly, slowly is able to work his way through the terror, hate, and rage, and comes out the other side -- as much as anyone ever can.

Asadi (who is a gifted writer) lays out not only the rise and rapid perversion of what most Iranians thought would be a democratic revolution, but portrays with ruthless integrity the methodical, efficient destruction of his body, mind, beliefs, and personality in the hands of a highly skilled torturer.

It's harrowing, heartbreaking, and grim, but not gruesome. I think the best book I've ever read on living through, and trying to reconstruct a life, after brutal torture. IMO, anyone who thinks torture can sometimes be justified should read this and see if they still feel that way.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Three Musketeers - by Alexandre Dumas, père

At this point, I have made the decision to just read all his stuff. Again this is a really good book.

The Count of Monte by Alexandre Dumas, père.

Flipping Awesome book.

I recommend it to anyone that has not already read it, or has seen the movie that probably sucks.

I have not seen the movie and after reading half the book, I have decided to never see it since it will probably be horrifically bad in comparision to the book.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Three Musketeers - by Alexandre Dumas, père

At this point, I have made the decision to just read all his stuff. Again this is a really good book.

There's the French version of the Count of Monte Cristo with Gerard Depardieu which is quite faithful to the book, and superbly acted.