What are you reading now?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a Kindle. Should be here this week. I'm psyched.

What should I break it's cherry with? Give me some suggestions...

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I ordered a Kindle. Should be here this week. I'm psyched.

What should I break it's cherry with? Give me some suggestions...

Chuck Klosterman's Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs.

It's a non-fiction book and the guy covers topics like The Sims, Saved By the Bell, Lloyd Dobler from Say Anything, The Real World, and a lot of other areas with good humor and interesting takes.

Or if you want a more serious book you cannot go wrong with A Long Way Gone. That book was captivating and I couldn't put it down when I started. It's graphic at times and is a solid reminder that we are so lucky to have been born in this country.

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started reading "The Making of an Atheist" by James S. Spiegel. It's for a book review requested by the publisher. Hopefully I'll have it up this week.

shawn

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read a couple of Jim Thompson short stories and now I'm reading "Flood" by Andrew Vachss.

You must be registered for see images attach

Book Description
In Vachss's acclaimed first novel, we are introduced to Burke, the avenging angel of abused children. Burke's client is a woman named Flood, who has the face of an angel, the body of a high-priced stripper, and the skills of a professional executioner. She wants Burke to find a monster -- so she can kill him with her bare hands. In this cauterizing thriller, Andrew Vachss's renegade private eye teams up with a lethally gifted vigilante to follow a child's murderer through the catacombs of New York, where every alley is a setup for a mugging and every tenement has something rotten in the basement. Fearfully knowing, buzzing with narrative tension, and written in prose as forceful as a hollow-point bullet, Flood is Burke at his deadliest -- and Vachss at the peak of his form.

AZZenny

Reaction score
SON OF HAMAS by Mosab Hassan Yousef. Outstanding book, and a very compelling read.

Mosab Yousef is the eldest son of one of the founders of Hamas, a fundamentalist islamic terror organization associated with the Muslim Brotherhood and sworn to eliminate Israel. Groomed to become an Imam or a terrorist leader, or both, he was so appalled by the cruelty and hypocrisy and greed he experienced first-hand in the Palestinian leadership that he was turned by Shin Bet and became Israel's most valuable undercover agent in the West Bank for almost a decade. During that time he also gradually converted to Christianity, as he struggled to find a path that didn't just promise endless violence and despair.

In and out of Israeli prisons (sometimes for his own safety), working with and against his Israeli handlers to protect his father even as he prevented dozens of suicide bombings and other attacks, he talks about the egos and corruption, the complex history and politics, the international funding and international meddling, the militaristic bull-headedness, the fear and hate -- on both sides -- all while describing his very dangerous, razor's edge double life.

Whether you support Israel or the Palestinians (or both), this book will disturb you and sober you, while giving you an exciting story. It gives as balanced a view of how the conflict has been managed, mismanaged, and flat-out stage-managed as I've seen in one place.

Last edited:

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LETTERS TO JACKIE Condolences From A Grieving Nation by Ellen Fitzpatrick

As the title says it's a collection of letters written to Jacqueline Kennedy in the days and weeks following the assassination of President Kennedy.

Heartbreaking to read. There are no simple letters. One is from a widow whose husband was also shot and murdered. Others tell of their lives and how much the President meant to them. Simple language. Eloquent language. Letters from the well off and from the poor. Letters from the uneducated who struggled to put their thoughts down on paper.

I'm finding I can only read a few pages at a time. These letters are so personal and so profound I find myself near tears while reading them more the 46 years after that devastating Friday.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
THE ONLY THING WORTH DYING FOR - By Eric Blehm

An account of 11 Green Berets who went into southern Afghanistan with Hamid Karzai just a few weeks after 9/11. Tremendously interesting read on how these men think and react in combat.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I just finished "The Hunger Games"

it was great.

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
"And then the roof caved in" - about the recent financial market/firms crash.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Just finished CATCHING FIRE, the second book in the HUNGER GAMES trilogy.

It was stellar just like the first one. Cant wait for the third and final book to come out in May.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
MENNONITE in a LITTLE BLACK DRESS by Rhoda Janzen

I've been laughing so hard I think I've pulled something.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
DELIVER US FROM EVIL, by David Baldacci

So far so good...

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
I just finished reading Crazy for the Storm by Norman Ollestad. That was a really good read. It's about an 11 year old boy who survives a small plane crash that his dad is killed in. It's a true story and the story of the crash along with memories of the dad were woven excellently.

Just started True Compass by Ted Kennedy. And when done with that one I'll be reading The Big Burn by Timothy Egan (looking forward to this book).

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Kraukaur

Very interesting look into the extremist version of the Mormons.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I just finished...

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
You must be registered for see images attach

I liked it. I don't normally read vampire books but I thought it was pretty cool how they mixed real history with fiction.

Last edited:

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Just ordered The Promise, The Bridge, and Kids from Nowhere.

The first are Obama books.

Kids From Nowhere is the book I am looking forward to. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846

From the world-award-winning writer comes the gripping, true story of a group of Alaskan Eskimo students who, despite nearly impossible odds, achieve one of the most stunning educational feats in the history of American education.

In 1982, George Guthridge brought his wife and two young daughters to Gambell, Alaska, a small village on the edge of the remote blizzard-swept St. Lawrence Island in the Bering Sea, one of the harshest and most remote places in Alaska. Guthridge was there to teach at a Siberian-Yupik school—a school so troubled it was under threat of closure.

For its own reasons, the school district enters the students into one of the most difficult academic competitions in the nation. The school has no computers and very few books. The students lack world knowledge and speak English as a second language. Still, George resolves to coach them to a state championship. But the students have an even greater goal of their own.

Hilarious, disturbing, densely atmospheric—and packed with surprises at every turn—The Kids from Nowhere is a powerful, poignant story that will make you want to cry and cheer at the same time.
Similar to an Alaskan Stand and Deliver, this is an inspiring story of triumph over adversity that provides a fascinating view of a remote Alaska Native village.