What are you reading now?

AZZenny

Reaction score
Just began R Lee Smith's "The Care and Feeding of Griffins" and it is a spectacular start - it seems on the surface like a magical book maybe for older kids, ala Harry Potter/Tolkein, and reads almost that way at the very beginning, but fairly quickly the darkness and eroticism starts to shadow the color and light, and I can tell it's not going to be G-rated for long. (Even without knowing she's classed as a horror / erotica / paranormal author.)

Smith's writing is polished and brilliant, and much more confident here than her earlier two books that I read, and I thought they were outstanding.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just started Ken Follet's Fall of Giants. The writing is not very good, but I will stick with it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...Ken Follet... The writing is not very good, but I will stick with it.
I've never been able to get into his stuff because of his writing style. A lot of his concepts seem cool, but it's unreadable to me.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never been able to get into his stuff because of his writing style. A lot of his concepts seem cool, but it's unreadable to me.
Pillars of the Earth was good, but eesh, Fall of Giants is borderline trash at times.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just finished "Peace Like a River" by Leif Enger. I read very little fiction but a friend told me one character reminded her very much of me, so how could I resist? Great book. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Gregor The Overlander by Suzanne Collins.

I liked The Hunger Games so much I decided to give Suzanne Collins another go. Really entertaining thus far.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently reading Hounded by Kevin Hearne.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9533378-hounded

It's Urban Fantasy and really good so far. Already like it so much I bought Hexed, the second book. Del Rey has been impressed too - they greenlit books 4-6 of this series.

I'm reading Hexed right now. I enjoyed Hounded, it was especially nice with the Tempe references as I've been away from the area for so long.

Steve

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Fun and Games," by Duane Swierzynski

You must be registered for see images attach

Amazon said:
The first of three explosive pulp thrillers arriving back-to-back from cult crime fiction sensation and Marvel Comics scribe Duane Swierczynski.

Charlie Hardie, an ex-cop still reeling from the revenge killing of his former partner's entire family, fears one thing above all else: that he'll suffer the same fate.

Languishing in self-imposed exile, Hardie has become a glorified house sitter. His latest gig comes replete with an illegally squatting B-movie actress who rants about hit men who specialize in making deaths look like accidents. Unfortunately, it's the real deal. Hardie finds himself squared off against a small army of the most lethal men in the world: The Accident People.

It's nothing personal-the girl just happens to be the next name on their list. For Hardie, though, it's intensely personal. He's not about to let more innocent people die. Not on his watch.

I LOVE (LOVE) this author. Everything he's written is balls-to-the-wall modern day pulp. So much fun.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently reading Hounded by Kevin Hearne.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9533378-hounded

It's Urban Fantasy and really good so far. Already like it so much I bought Hexed, the second book. Del Rey has been impressed too - they greenlit books 4-6 of this series.
I just started reading this. Fun read so far.

And yes, the Tempe references are a nice little bonus.

Edit: just finished it and will likely start on the sequel tonight. I live my kindle; if not for it I would have to make a trip to the bookstore or may even forget about it entirely.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey BIM: In my own line-of-site mashup, I'm thinking Noah Wylie would make a great Atticus O'Sullivan for a Druid Chronicles TV show. It's pretty much how I see him, although I know he's supposed to look younger.

You must be registered for see images

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey BIM: In my own line-of-site mashup, I'm thinking Noah Wylie would make a great Atticus O'Sullivan for a Druid Chronicles TV show. It's pretty much how I see him, although I know he's supposed to look younger.

You must be registered for see images

That'd be a good choice, IMHO. He's about 19 years too old (Noah and I were born on the exact same day, lol), but I'd rather see someone with acting chops handle the role. :D

Hammered (Book 3) comes out tomorrow. :cool:

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Five Years to Freedom- James 'Nick' Rowe

About a green beret who was a POW for 5 years and his Vietnam experience (63-68)...

I met him years ago. He walked in the room and the crowd parted like he was Moses. It was a pretty humbling evening.

Now reading "The Triggerman's Dance" by T. Jefferson Parker.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perfect timing. I'll probably be done with Hexed by tomorrow night or so.
:raccoon:

After finishing Hexed, I was taken by a strong desire to drive 350 miles into Scottsdale and get a cheese crisp at Los Olivos. We ate there a few hundred times in the 60's and I wasn't sure the place still existed. Glad to know it's still there. I just bought Hammered and I'm looking forward to reading it when I finish my current series (Bob Mayer's self published series called Atlantis-not great but not bad - I love the Kindle stuff that costs a buck or two).

Steve

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After finishing Hexed, I was taken by a strong desire to drive 350 miles into Scottsdale and get a cheese crisp at Los Olivos. We ate there a few hundred times in the 60's and I wasn't sure the place still existed. Glad to know it's still there. I just bought Hammered and I'm looking forward to reading it when I finish my current series (Bob Mayer's self published series called Atlantis-not great but not bad - I love the Kindle stuff that costs a buck or two).

Steve
I think Tempe has changed a little to much for me to be familiar with most of the places he talks about. I've been to the Rula Bula (or whatever it's called), but only on a visit back. I guess Atticus' bookstore is supposed to be in the same place as the author's cousin's comic book store, but I'm almost positive there wasn't a shop like that on Ash in the early 90's (my shop was right on University across from campus).

Still pretty neat. He references a lot of places. Mitchell Park, Papago Park, etc...

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(my shop was right on University across from campus).

The One Book Shop or All About Books and Comics?

The One Book Shop was located behind the Arches plaza. Straight North on Forest lierally across the parking lot from the Warehouse (burgers).

All About Books and Comics was there later and was actually in one of the storefronts inside the Arches plaza.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Tempe has changed a little to much for me to be familiar with most of the places he talks about. I've been to the Rula Bula (or whatever it's called), but only on a visit back. I guess Atticus' bookstore is supposed to be in the same place as the author's cousin's comic book store, but I'm almost positive there wasn't a shop like that on Ash in the early 90's (my shop was right on University across from campus).

Still pretty neat. He references a lot of places. Mitchell Park, Papago Park, etc...

Yeah, it's changed far too much for me to recognize much of it also but I lived there from 77 to the mid 80's plus four years at ASU so it was nice to at least hear some familiar street names. Papago Park was a huge hangout for us in high school but most of the time it was just a place to "park". All I remember about Ash is there used to be a great little bar there called 9th & Ash. I spent a lot of time at places on University but mostly at the Chuck Box or the Warehouse, both long since gone I'm sure.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The One Book Shop or All About Books and Comics?

The One Book Shop was located behind the Arches plaza. Straight North on Forest lierally across the parking lot from the Warehouse (burgers).

All About Books and Comics was there later and was actually in one of the storefronts inside the Arches plaza.

Burgers? Did it really change that much? It used to be owned by a guy named Sid who also ran a local Martial Arts studio. The one thing they didn't have back then was burgers. It was more of a deli with pretty decent live entertainment in the 70's.

Steve

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burgers? Did it really change that much? It used to be owned by a guy named Sid who also ran a local Martial Arts studio. The one thing they didn't have back then was burgers. It was more of a deli with pretty decent live entertainment in the 70's.

Steve

Oh, that's my bad. Could have sworn my Uncle bought me a burger there once.

The Chuckbox is still in business across the street.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, that's my bad. Could have sworn my Uncle bought me a burger there once.

The Chuckbox is still in business across the street.

Well, it could have changed since my time. They made a nice pastrami sandwich and their corn beef was pretty tasty also. But, back then, if you wanted a burger you'd be across the street anyway as Chuck Box made a pretty tasty one. As for Chuck Box, I'm surprised it's still there. With as many times as it caught fire, I figured it would have burned down completely by now.

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05