What Bands Have You Been Listening To Lately?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KLL said:
Which album? "American Woman" to me was their best... I mean... wow...
"No Sugar Tonight", "No Time" and of course the title track are amazing.....Then of course the follow-up "Share the Land" was sensational.... especially "Hand Me Down World"..... Bachman and Cummings are two brilliant musicians.... Just another phenomonal band from across the opposite border of the United States.....
It was the "Best Of." Burt (or Bert?) Cummings has a spectacular voice, IMO.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
It was the "Best Of." Burt (or Bert?) Cummings has a spectacular voice, IMO.
I agree that Burton Cummings has an excellent voice.... especially in "No Time" and "No Sugar Tonight".....He possessed such excellent range... Also.. I shouldnt forget "These Eyes"....that's another instance in which he began the song with a rather low pitched voice, but at other parts intergrated a variance of emotions......

Also, Bachman was a phenonomal guitarist, but he didnt get to fully showcase that until he left and formed BTO.......

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Right now I'm listening to the Guess Who. No smart alec responses--that's the name of the band.

I break that out every once in a while too (their greatest hits). American Woman is a classic, it always reminds me of American Beauty.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bigwig. Just picked up their new CD "Reclamation" and it's great.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
KLL said:
I've always have had a love/hate relationship w/Smashing Pumpkins.... I guess it wasnt completely their fault, by "Today" and "1979" just got too played-out.. it became rather annoying after awhile....

However, then "Cherub Rock", "Disarm", and their remakes of both "Landslide" and "Never Let Me Down Again" immediately bring a smile to my face...

Just listening to "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" is an experience in itself....

I havent really checked recently about those rumors of their reunion (which was discussed a lot on here), however, Cogan as a member of Smashing Pumpkins, Zwan, or just solo is remarkable.....

I'm a big fan of "Gish" but any of the other albums, not so much. There's a couple songs here and there I like from their later stuff, but as a whole, Gish is just a great album and the only Pumpkins album I own. It definitely has a stronger and heavier guitar presence to it I think than any of the newer, more produced and polished stuff, yet still has an underlying complexity and sound in which you can hear what would come later in the following albums. "I am One" is just a tremendous start that gets the blood pumping.

Yet there are some softer songs here as well, I remember my girlfiend (now my wife) at the time way back in high school made a tape for me and put one of the more mellow songs from Gish on it, "Crush". That and "Rhinocerous" are great.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
I actually been listening to New Order "Substance 1987" a lot this week, some Dinosaur Jr, and a Blues Traveller live double album I downloaded (shhh.. don't tell anyone).

Oh and I listened to Fugazi's "13 Songs" on my way to the train last week. I also threw some Beastie Boys "Check Your Head" in the mix as well (not in the same sitting mind you). Couple albums that I hadn't listened to in a LONG time.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Counting Crows

August and Everything After is just an amazing cd. I could listen to it day in and day out.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Billy Childish
The Mummies

Gary Numan (remember the song "Cars" from the 1980's?) just came out with a new album, "Jagged" which is surprisingly original.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive been listening to a lot of Jazz recently... Mainly Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, John Coltrane, Thelonius Monk, Charlie Parker..etc... I'm in awe whenever I listen to those Jazz greats and find it a shame how music has gone downhill over the past decade to the lowest level ever...

In terms of other music... a must purchase is Gomez's new release "How We Operate" which I hope finally enables them to receive more airplay here in the States.... Been checking out several bands on http://www.youtube.com such as Mad Season, Alice in Chains, STP, along with a steady diet of 80s bands anything from Tears for Fears to Beastie Boys.....

Last edited:

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been listening to almost nothing but Face To Face lately. I love their album, "Don't Turn Away."

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Eric Burdon-"The Soul OF A Man".
My Morning Jacket-"At Dawn".
Animals-"Bewfore We Were So Rudely Interrupted"

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Assface said:
I've been listening to almost nothing but Face To Face lately. I love their album, "Don't Turn Away."

That's probably the only punk band I never got into. Not sure why.

I've been listening to the new The Sound of Animals Fighting and Dragonforce. If you liked 80's power metal (i.e. Maiden, Priest) and want to take part in the revival of the genre, then you should listen to Dragonforce. Faster than all hell. Also listening to a lot of John Coltrane and Miles Davis because it makes me feel cultured. I don't know.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Assface said:
Bigwig. Just picked up their new CD "Reclamation" and it's great.

Bigwig is one of my all time 5 favorite bands. Stay Asleep is their finest in my opinion... But I have yet to hear their new one. I'd better go get it.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
dogpoo32 said:
Also listening to a lot of John Coltrane and Miles Davis because it makes me feel cultured. I don't know.

Maybe, because it's just good, classic music.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
T Bone Burnett, The True False Identity
Van Morrison, Magic Time

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
O said:
Maybe, because it's just good, classic music.

Oh, no debates there. Its such a departure from what I usually listen'ed' to. I took a jazz appreciation course in college (fine arts credit) and I fell in love. I don't look at music, or even life, the same after adding jazz to my life.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
dogpoo32 said:
Oh, no debates there. Its such a departure from what I usually listen'ed' to. I took a jazz appreciation course in college (fine arts credit) and I fell in love. I don't look at music, or even life, the same after adding jazz to my life.

:thumbup:
Good for you, I wish more people would explore that option.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matt Costa
Snow Patrol
Kate Earl
Tegan and Sara
Fountains of Wayne

I really like Snow Patrol...

Mike

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure why but I've been listening to Guns N Roses "Appetite for Destruction" lately. Can't believe it's nearly 20 years old. My Michelle has always been my favorite song on that album.

Allegedly Chinese Democracy is due to be released in the fall, of course we've been hearing that for years but I'm still anxious to see what happens when you combine Axl with 4 guitarists, 2 keyboard players and Brian Mantia who as I've mentioned before I went to school with (sister was my grade).

I heard the tracks that were leaked on a GNR website(and subsequently removed to avoid lawsuits) and they sounded pretty good.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser