What Bands Have You Been Listening To Lately?

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Colbie Caillat

Major girl crush going on. Love her voice.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Just d/l Raphael Saadiq's "The Way I See It" and Jimi Hendrix's "Blues".

How did I ever pass up Saadiq's latest album? Great album. And Hendrix's "Blues" could be just as good if not better than most songs fans in general associate him with.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Five Peace Band. Self-titled live recording. Most sincere fusion band in 30 years. The whole band ... a supergroup of supergroups:

Keyboard: Chick Corea
Guitar: John McLaughlin
Sax: Kenny Garrett
Bass: Christian McBride
Drums: Vinnie Colaiuta

It's just ridiculous what this band is capable of, and somehow they've found ways to push each other into uncomfortable and challenged areas where they are making music wayyyyy over my head. It's not busy "make you crazy" fusion. They make every note count.

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm on a Chad Smith kick right now...

Chickenfoot & Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic & on www.drumchannel.com Chad Smith's Bombastic Meatbats!

Oh & from 1991 The Knacks' Serious Fun with Billy Ward on the drums!!!

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Five Peace Band. Self-titled live recording. Most sincere fusion band in 30 years. The whole band ... a supergroup of supergroups:

Keyboard: Chick Corea
Guitar: John McLaughlin
Sax: Kenny Garrett
Bass: Christian McBride
Drums: Vinnie Colaiuta
You should list the bands the bandmembers are from, for the less educated.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should list the bands the bandmembers are from, for the less educated.

None of them are in bands. Chick Corea and John McLaughlin are jazz legends -- they've been headlining their own acts for 40 years.

Kenny Garrett's a preeminent jazz saxophonist and flautist. He's recorded with every great name the past three decades, including Miles Davis, McCoy Tyner, Wynton ... everyone.

Christian McBride is sort of the third wave of that group ... third generation jazz crossover artist, but he's just as well known as a sideman playing the upright with artists like Pat Metheny, Wynton Marsalis, Joshua Redman, etc.

Vinnie Colaiuta is widely considered perhaps the best living drummer on the planet. Certainly the most recorded. For example, in past 12 months he's laid down studio tracks for Herbie Hancock, Jeff Beck, Megadeth (twice), LeeAnn Rimes, Celine Dion, Faith Hill, and Travis Tritt. And those are just the artists I think you'll know. He's a freak of nature. You might remember him as Sting's drummer in the early 90s on Ten Summoner's Tales.

Every single member of the band has won at least one Grammy on their own merits. Corea and McLaughlin virtually own their categories ... maybe even invented them.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, when you said a "supergroup of supergroups" I thought you meant that they all came from "supergroups". Thanks for the background on them. :thumbup:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, when you said a "supergroup of supergroups" I thought you meant that they all came from "supergroups". Thanks for the background on them. :thumbup:

They did! Each of them could sell out an arena all by themselves. ;)

Imagine Eric Clapton, John Entwistle, and John Bonham were in a band. Only they were even better and could play jazz. LOL That's what this group is like in jazz fusion.

Last edited:

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grrr...they can't be a "group" AND a solo act (your words--not in a band), darn it!!!! :p

Oh, and Eric Clapton is the only name I recognize...and he was in Cream. So there. Neener neener.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grrr...they can't be a "group" AND a solo act (your words--not in a band), darn it!!!! :p

OK. Each musician is a superior on their instruments -- real virtuosos. That's even better than a supergroup, IMO! hehe

Oh, and Eric Clapton is the only name I recognize...and he was in Cream. So there. Neener neener.

Entwistle was in The Who. Bonham was in Led Zeppelin. And I need a nerf ball to throw at you for not knowing your rock legends.

:D

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. Each musician is a superior on their instruments -- real virtuosos. That's even better than a supergroup, IMO! hehe

Entwistle was in The Who. Bonham was in Led Zeppelin. And I need a nerf ball to throw at you for not knowing your rock legends.

:D
Ah, I should have known they were from crappy hippie group. :D

Did that nerf ball just get upgraded to a rock?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, I should have known they were from crappy hippie group. :D

Did that nerf ball just get upgraded to a rock?

Nah. I wasn't actually a fan myself. I just want to educate people on the musicians behind the mic that actually make the music rather than merely posing as if they do.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Have never been a fan in the past, but in what might be the WEIRDEST production marriage ever, Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age, and Simian Mobile Disco (electronic group), The Arctic Monkeys have put out a very interesting record in their new one, Humbug.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
So, I'm kinda liking Mat Kearney these days... Closer to Love has a great vibe and damn good lyrics...

Am I alone on this one??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05