What do you guys think about the idea of getting Jerry Rice to be the team's #4 WR?

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Before you chew me out and remind me that Rice is 41 and not the same player he once was, hear me out.

The Cards have four WR (if you include McCoy in that list) who have a grand total of 4 years experience at the NFL level. I think it's safe and fair to say each WR would only benefit from having Rice's veteran leadership and could learn quite a bit from having the best statistical WR ever to play the game around.

No, I'm not saying sign the guy to a 4 year deal. That is not only wrong, but rediculous as well.. However, would it hurt to sign the guy to a one-year deal with incentives?

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
Snake said:
Before you chew me out and remind me that Rice is 41 and not the same player he once was, hear me out.

The Cards have four WR (if you include McCoy in that list) who have a grand total of 4 years experience at the NFL level. I think it's safe and fair to say each WR would only benefit from having Rice's veteran leadership and could learn quite a bit from having the best statistical WR ever to play the game around.

No, I'm not saying sign the guy to a 4 year deal. That is not only wrong, but rediculous as well.. However, would it hurt to sign the guy to a one-year deal with incentives?

I've thought for a long time that, as good as or WR corps might be, their development might be slowed by not having a vet reciever on the team to learn from.

We'd be the butt of a few jokes after the Emmit debacle, but I do think he could be useful in some way. Even at 41 he's still probably better than 50% of the recievers in the league.

Another similar option in the role of 4th reciever could be Troy Brown. Veteran leadership and experience with multi-dimensional skills. especially with our lack of depth at CB and PR/KR.

seesred

Reaction score
Old man river he just keeps rolling along. Will someone bring me my walker I need to get in there.

GBR

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I hear ya'

but you know too that in the back of your mind your saying "just how old is he?" No, we are better without him.

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
People use to say the same things about us getting Emmitt, give the guy a break. Even though I think it is a bad idea cause Green wants a young squad to compete for years and I agree with doesnt mean you have to bag on him for bringing up an idea which we actually did 2 years ago.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Red Air Force said:
I've thought for a long time that, as good as or WR corps might be, their development might be slowed by not having a vet reciever on the team to learn from.

We'd be the butt of a few jokes after the Emmit debacle, but I do think he could be useful in some way. Even at 41 he's still probably better than 50% of the recievers in the league.

Another similar option in the role of 4th reciever could be Troy Brown. Veteran leadership and experience with multi-dimensional skills. especially with our lack of depth at CB and PR/KR.

I actually like the idea of Brown. He's younger (31 or 32 if I'm not mistaken) and his multi-dimensional nature would make him a great fit and he would bring that veteran leadership I'm talking about.

As for the handful that laughed or scorned, I'm not saying bring the guy in and make him be a starter. Hell I'm not even saying he should be option 3 at WR. I just think he would serve a good mentor's role for the younger WR core. Whether or not he'd be willing to relegate himself to that role is unknown, but I do know if he's waiting for a team to bring him in to start, he'll be waiting awhile.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
He can't even beat out Kdrop. Enough said.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has less in the tank than Emmitt had when he got here. Rice embarassed himself last year.

CardinalMike

Chickens can't clap!
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Rice embarassed himself last year.

What was most embarassing for Rice last year? The 14.3 ypc avg or the 21 catches for first downs? He had good numbers for a #3/4 receiver in my opinion.

Cardinal Mike!!

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Rice could still be an asset for the right team. We're not that team.
Rice could provide leadership, mentor ability and could be the 3rd WR on teams looking for a possession WR.

At this stange of Rice's career he has no chance of pushing Johnson for the 3rd WR spot and he doesn't have the speed to get the 4th WR job either.

I could see him signing with Baltimore. That would be a great fit for him. The Ravens' only proven WR is Mason, but they do have some youngsters with potential. Rice could easily win the 3rd WR job while mentoring the young players.

Since the 49'ers don't want him - the Giants is the only other option IMO.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Some team will have a rash of injurys and will sign him. If he is patient, he will get signed by the end of the year.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
The GOAT need to hang em up. It's a coach's job to mentor. That roster spot would be better filled by a promising rookie with speed and return skills.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I think signing Rice may be a PR backfire like Emmitt. Media will say it's all about selling tickets and the Cardinals are where good football player go to retire.

Keep them young. There has to be 1-2 good receivers out of the 6 or 7 that Denny has brought in to compete for the job.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Main issue with this idea is you say you want him to be hired to bring a veteren presence for the young WR's to learn from....

EVERYTHING and I mean everything I have heard about Rice is he is a great player a good guy but he does NOTHING to help the younger players learn from him. So if thats the real goal of signing him, I say no thanks.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First of all, thanks for not making this another poll.

Apparently, his agent floated a memo to all 31 other clubs suggesting that Jerry wanted to play one final year before retiring and asking them whether they felt Jerry would be a good fit vis a vis their programs.

Who's to say whether Jerry Rice should or should not squeeze another year out of his career (or whether he has anything left) - that's for Jerry and the marketplace to decide.

But I don't think Jerry would have wanted this to be handled in quite that way. It's sad that someone with his track record of achievement has to finish the back nine of his career in this manner.

Regarding the Cardinals - I love the idea of having older, successful guys around to mentor younger players (either as player-coaches or holding down a final spot on the position depth chart). But I'm guessing that, in this respect, the bus has left the terminal - Dennis Green has got the franchise heading in the direction he wants it to go and may feel that bringing in someone like Rice would be more of a distraction and "roster-spot-eater" than a help and, therefore, slow things down in the development of the franchise.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
I'm on board for Troy Brown. Didn't he do a good job playing offense and defense last year. A player like that can be valuable.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Know when to say when

Really Jerry Rice has had an awesome career.

But he can't return kicks or punts. The Cards need their 4th or 5th receiver to do that. I've got Dan Sheldon ticketed for that role.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snake said:

Will he be available to sign autographs??? If not then no way.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan