What do you guys think about the idea of getting Jerry Rice to be the team's #4 WR?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalMike said:
What was most embarassing for Rice last year? The 14.3 ypc avg or the 21 catches for first downs? He had good numbers for a #3/4 receiver in my opinion.

Cardinal Mike!!

For him, I'd say both stats are embarassing. He's useless for special teams. That's not enough production to deal with his overly tender ego. On top of that, he's more prone to drops than ever. He had a couple of key ones in our win over the Hags.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JasonKGME said:
Main issue with this idea is you say you want him to be hired to bring a veteren presence for the young WR's to learn from....

EVERYTHING and I mean everything I have heard about Rice is he is a great player a good guy but he does NOTHING to help the younger players learn from him. So if thats the real goal of signing him, I say no thanks.

That's always what I've heard too but I did hear last year that some of the Seattle guys said Rice was very helpful to them, and even one of the Raiders younger players said some nice things about Rice.

I know that, Curry and Porter were not huge fans of Rice, they didn't dislike him they just felt he made no effort to help either of them and that he was openly campaigning for PT that he wasn't earning on the practice field or in games.

SF didn't want him because Nolan has so many young guys he thinks he'd be stealing reps from them.

Wildfire

Registered
Reaction score
Don't want him and more importantly, WE DON"T NEED HIM.

Rice is another one of those "Over the hill, we got to have him" players that we just don't have a need for anymore.

Again, I'll state MHO, that it's time to go with our own and quit searching the KFFL wire and moaning when we don't sign every person ever released.

:thumbup:

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
No to signing Rice. He'd be a pain in the ass, and I doubt he'd want to be a fourth WR. Get a young guy in there.

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
While Rice is still servicable and has the best work ethic of any player in the league, he is not the speed wr that we need. He is in the same mold as Quan, Fitz & BJ.

I would rather us sign Hakim to the league minimum.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are other guys that I'd rather see us sign if we're going to grab a WR (Brown, Hakim, etc...), but it wouldn't be the end of the world if we signed Rice, IMO.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe 2-3 years ago. Now it is clear he is just trying to add to stats. Id rather have Hakim as a 4th WR.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oran said:
If you want a vet, why not bring in Frank Sanders?
Are you asking me?

I don't think we're going to sign anyone else at the WR spot, all I'm saying is that if Rice is signed it's not all bad.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Are you asking me?

I don't think we're going to sign anyone else at the WR spot, all I'm saying is that if Rice is signed it's not all bad.

I'm just putting that out there. I don't want a vet, unless that vet has some connection to Green or Warner. For those that want a vet, why not Frank? As a 4th he will barely see the field, and he is hands-down the coolest Cardinal player I ever meet.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
The 49ers could be the most WR deprived team in the NFL and even they want no part of Geriatric Rice.

No time to go "old".

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Insider says he's probably going to Denver to be their #3 behind Lelie and smith.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Insider says he's probably going to Denver to be their #3 behind Lelie and smith.

Is Shanahan trying to prove he won't be fired no matter how many crappy personnel decisions he makes?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
The biggest drawback for signing Rice is that he keeps us from having a young guy with potential on the roster. Frankly he is not good enuf at this point in his career to bring any additional victories to this team this year. Better to have a guy with a future who contributes as a PR like Sheldon, Holiday, McCoy or Powell on board IMO.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

If the Broncos are looking for old wide recievers, maybe they should bring Drew Pearson out of retirement. I saw him on ESPN the other day complaining about not being in the hall of fame.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Is Shanahan trying to prove he won't be fired no matter how many crappy personnel decisions he makes?

Rice played with Shanahan in SF, of course that was 10-12 years ago but I guess it's the friendship thing. To be fair Watts dropped a lot of passes last year and Rice has better hands but at his age he's just a shadow of what he was I don't see the point in taking reps away from Watts.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
Well I think he pulled off a nice swindle with Washington and Clarett may be a good fit there. But with that said, theres not a whole lot to be gained by signing Rice.

ajcardfan said:

spanky1

Reaction score
Here we go again.......another aging profile becomes available and people are asking if we should bring him in......

Can you be sure that we don't have a potentially solid #4 in one of Hamilton, Newhouse, Holiday, McCoy.

Rice is 42 years old for goodness sakes. Given his years of service he would cost us the vet minimum which is $780,000 more than he's worth.

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

I also wouldn't be too surprised[actually a Great Idea] if Dennis Green picked up Troy Brown for the Minimum or more after June 1.. TB[no not Bradshaw, although he is also!!] is a winner, with a winner's mentality and experience, and for those of you still smoking that Hawaiian-Skunk-Oregano that believe Bryant Johnson can "BLOSSOM" any more than he already has :rolleyes:, Green might tag TB as the warrior to show BJ and the rest[after Q and Fitz] of the newbies what it takes to be "Mighty dog in this PIT.."
Besides for the fact that I believe he was the only starting [current or former] Pro Bowl WR last year to take regular snaps on defense, right? :thumbup: :cool:

Reaction score
Troy Brown's last two seasons
Code:
Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD
2003 NE    12 10 40 472 11.8 82 4 4 2 18
2004 NE    12 0 17 184 10.8 22 1 2 0 11

Bryant Johnson's last two seasons
Code:
Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD
2003 AZ    15 8 35 438 12.5 54 1 4 2 20
2004 AZ    16 11 49 537 11.0 40 1 5 1 29

It's likely that Johnson will never equal Brown's best years. But looking at the last two years of production it's tough to make the argument that Brown outperformed Johnson, especially considering that Brown was playing in a much more efficient offense. What would Bryant Johnson's numbers have looked like if he played for New England last year?

Brown is 34 years old and on the downside of his career. Even discounting further improvement (another undefendable argument) from Johnson at 24 years old he may be expected to continue to perform at least at the same level for another 7-8 years.

You need to re-evaluate whom it is that has taken too many hits... :roll:

Last edited:

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
We have a lot of deep speed on our roster that we should give a chance as the #4 WR. The only positions I feel we may need to address post June 1 are O-Line Depth and maybe an experienced CB or TE.

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

Cards Logic,
I'm Still Taking Them There Hits,:thumbup:
Back to the discussion, Logically speaking then, I can see and concede BJ's probable on-field production[sans injury,16/16 games played] being superior next year and certainly thereafter to TB's..I am not sold on BJ or his potential, but he is a fair 3rd receiver with those stats you cited, and none of the vets mentioned in this string would better or perhaps even approach them. The point I was aiming at was the lockerroom-practice field presence a player like TB or JR[of course] would provide from the outside to the young receiver corps. At what point, I wonder would Dennis Green bring someone in for the intangibles while knowing he may sit most of the season..
We have a glut of young and potentially talented backups at the WR spot. I thought TB, being the closest of the vets still with quality "Iron inthe Fire" and recent successes, [even as a DB] could command and physically best respond to the needs of our young, hopefully talent-laden group.
Green will do what the Cards need done to best improve the team. That much I'm sure of..GO CARDS!!! PLAYOFFS 2005!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan