What is the plan?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Starting power forwards, like starting point guards, aren't often available. And considering we needed both, we probably will have to settle for improvement over perfection.

The problem is that we needed both, and we got neither, which is the same problem we have had over the last half decade. Again, I am not looking for perfection. I am looking for someone who can pass for a serviceable starter at major positions of need. Say what you want, but Saric is a back-up. He is not a serviceable starter. He proved that in Minnesota last year. And I have yet to see anyone distinguish between the Timberwolves and the Suns in any manner that would give me any reason at all to believe that the Saric we will get is the Saric of two seasons ago with the Sixers, as opposed to the Saric of last season with the Timberwolves.

And as for point guard, well...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The plan likely does not include Jimmer Fredette as he plays for the Warriors summer league team.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Related to above, Suns decline Fredette's team option.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking there is something wrong with the NBA rules if the Suns cannot talk about draft day trades until July 6th.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Related to above, Suns decline Fredette's team option.

This has to buy "some" positives for this front office. Look at it the opposite, had they piclked up his option I would have been right in line with all the Suns front office bashers. This means there is a little bit of common sense in the front office. At least some shred! :D

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This has to buy "some" positives for this front office. Look at it the opposite, had they piclked up his option I would have been right in line with all the Suns front office bashers. This means there is a little bit of common sense in the front office. At least some shred! :D
Cmon. That’s such a no brainer I equate it’s difficulty to remembering to breathe.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thank God the Jimmer is not coming back. He was dead to me the moment he put his own numbers ahead of Booker getting 60.

He did Booker a favor. Booker shouldn't have been in the game. Another 60 point game in a blowout loss is embarrassing.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did Booker a favor. Booker shouldn't have been in the game. Another 60 point game in a blowout loss is embarrassing.
To whom? I don’t think Booker cares what you or anybody else thinks. Scorers gonna score.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Not to me. I get a lot of enjoyment watching Book go for 60+. It's about all I have as a Suns fan right now. These are the games I'll look back on in his career and say I got to see, regardless of a win or loss. I was at the game Michael Jordan scored his career high. I don't remember if the Bulls won or lost, but I remember Jordan's 69.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I doubt this is true, but....

If we renounce all FAs but Oubre, waive and stretch Tyler, and salary dump Jackson and Melton we would clear up 32.7M in cap space. 20M for Russell and 12.7 for Randle.

That give us:
Russell, Jerome,
Booker, Okobo
Oubre, Bridges, Johnson
Randle, Saric
Ayton, Baynes

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt this is true, but....

If we renounce all FAs but Oubre, waive and stretch Tyler, and salary dump Jackson and Melton we would clear up 32.7M in cap space. 20M for Russell and 12.7 for Randle.

That give us:
Russell, Jerome,
Booker, Okobo
Oubre, Bridges, Johnson
Randle, Saric
Ayton, Baynes

I'm still confused by a recent conversation here but can't we trade to a team that can absorb salary cap without taking players back? Maybe something like Tyler and Jackson to Sacramento for a 2nd round pick? Obviously we'd have to add some value, hopefully a pick or two would do rather than having to include Bridges.

JonnySuns

Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm still confused by a recent conversation here but can't we trade to a team that can absorb salary cap without taking players back. Maybe something like Tyler and Jackson to Sacramento for a 2nd round pick? Obviously we'd have to add some value, hopefully a pick or two would do rather than having to include Bridges.

It's possible but not probable, IMO. It will be expensive and without the Bucks pick to use as an asset in a dump like that I'd rather not see it happen.

Melton might have the value of a pair of 2nd round picks, or late 1sts like the Bucks pick, but that would only be to some teams. Melton proved to be a good enough defender that I think he'll have a career as a backup in the league beyond his time with the Suns. I could see a team being interested in him and using him as a sweetener to take Jackson from us.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'm still confused by a recent conversation here but can't we trade to a team that can absorb salary cap without taking players back? Maybe something like Tyler and Jackson to Sacramento for a 2nd round pick? Obviously we'd have to add some value, hopefully a pick or two would do rather than having to include Bridges.

Yeah, as long as they are willing to take the salary without sending anything back. I would think that the value of Johnson is an an expiring contract, and if a team is under the cap, they probably don't care about an expiring contract. That said, if someone is that far under the cap, they have to sign someone, so maybe getting a pick or two would make them be OK with someone like Johnson.

JonnySuns

Reaction score
Interesting breakdown by Dave King.......

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2019/6/25/18715556/phoenix-suns-salary-cap-reset-free-agency

At this point I have absolutely no idea what we're going to do.

I personally like the idea of having Thad Young at PF but equally it feels like PG is so much more important for this team and whether the fit is right or not, I'd rather see us go all out for DLo or Brogdon and sign a cheaper PF to backup Saric.

This stood out........

However, note this loophole: Oubre’s cap hold can be “used” as part of another RFA offer without giving up rights to Oubre unless it works.

If the other team declines to match, thus giving the player to the Suns, then at that point the Suns would have to renounce Oubre if they still need any or all of that cap hold for the new player’s salary. But if the other team matches and keeps the player, the Suns can still keep Oubre’s cap hold as if the other RFA offer never happened.

For example, if the Suns decide that another RESTRICTED free agent like D’Angelo Russell or Malcolm Brogdon, or whoever, is so necessary that they’re willing to let Oubre go if they can get that player, the Suns can use Oubre’s $9 million as part of the “money” for the offer. If the Nets/Bucks/whoever match and keep the RFA, then the Suns still have all of Oubre’s rights.

Using Oubre’s cap hold, the Suns could create an RFA offer starting at $22 million per year. That might not be high enough, but it’s close. And the Suns would only lose Oubre if they need his cap number to honor the offer.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's possible but not probable, IMO. It will be expensive and without the Bucks pick to use as an asset in a dump like that I'd rather not see it happen.

Melton might have the value of a pair of 2nd round picks, or late 1sts like the Bucks pick, but that would only be to some teams. Melton proved to be a good enough defender that I think he'll have a career as a backup in the league beyond his time with the Suns. I could see a team being interested in him and using him as a sweetener to take Jackson from us.

Well, I don't think the idea that we'll pitch Russell and Randle as a pair is probable either. But if we had our hearts set on that pair, I can't see it being done if we're simply eating wasted salary. Sacramento has cap space and trouble adding free agents so if it's going to happen, I'd think they'd be a sensible trading partner. Improbable, yes, but I think it's less improbable than talking Randle into taking a discount to play for us.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Interesting breakdown by Dave King.......

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2019/6/25/18715556/phoenix-suns-salary-cap-reset-free-agency

At this point I have absolutely no idea what we're going to do.

I personally like the idea of having Thad Young at PF but equally it feels like PG is so much more important for this team and whether the fit is right or not, I'd rather see us go all out for DLo or Brogdon and sign a cheaper PF to backup Saric.

That's interesting. So we can add Oubre's cap hold to our cap space, without renouncing his rights, if we make an offer to a RFA.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This stood out........

However, note this loophole: Oubre’s cap hold can be “used” as part of another RFA offer without giving up rights to Oubre unless it works.

If the other team declines to match, thus giving the player to the Suns, then at that point the Suns would have to renounce Oubre if they still need any or all of that cap hold for the new player’s salary. But if the other team matches and keeps the player, the Suns can still keep Oubre’s cap hold as if the other RFA offer never happened.

For example, if the Suns decide that another RESTRICTED free agent like D’Angelo Russell or Malcolm Brogdon, or whoever, is so necessary that they’re willing to let Oubre go if they can get that player, the Suns can use Oubre’s $9 million as part of the “money” for the offer. If the Nets/Bucks/whoever match and keep the RFA, then the Suns still have all of Oubre’s rights.

Using Oubre’s cap hold, the Suns could create an RFA offer starting at $22 million per year. That might not be high enough, but it’s close. And the Suns would only lose Oubre if they need his cap number to honor the offer.

Wow, I really hope we're not that kind of an organization. I like Oubre but one of his biggest selling points IMO is that he WANTS to be here. Imagine how he's going to feel if we do something like this? I realize they all know it's a business but I can't see this ending well for us should we go this route.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, as long as they are willing to take the salary without sending anything back. I would think that the value of Johnson is an an expiring contract, and if a team is under the cap, they probably don't care about an expiring contract. That said, if someone is that far under the cap, they have to sign someone, so maybe getting a pick or two would make them be OK with someone like Johnson.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about that but still it would be a way to acquire another asset or two from us. I really don't see how Russell and Randle would fit well for us if the front office/coaching staff is convinced than I just think packaging assets at a cost to us would make it more doable. Like I said, I don't see Randle or Russell taking discounts to play for us even if they like Monty, Bowers or Jones.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, I really hope we're not that kind of an organization. I like Oubre but one of his biggest selling points IMO is that he WANTS to be here. Imagine how he's going to feel if we do something like this? I realize they all know it's a business but I can't see this ending well for us should we go this route.
It does allow us to make the offer and then determine other ways to create the space later—Trade other players, stretch Tyler etc. If it weren’t for Oubre’s contract we would have to create the space first. At least that is how I think it works.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yeah, I hadn't thought about that but still it would be a way to acquire another asset or two from us. I really don't see how Russell and Randle would fit well for us if the front office/coaching staff is convinced than I just think packaging assets at a cost to us would make it more doable. Like I said, I don't see Randle or Russell taking discounts to play for us even if they like Monty, Bowers or Jones.

With Booker and Ayton, they need defenders on other positions. I am not sure where the defense is going to come from with Randle and Saric at 4, and Russell at 1. I think one of them needs to be a defender.I mean, I wouldn't be upset if this happened, but one of them would need to get traded again for some defense eventually.