What kind of Card Fan are you?

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Living the first 10 years of my life outside of Houston everything in my house was Bum Phillips, Earl Campbell and the Oilers. After that my dad moved the family to north west New Mexico to start a new job. Close to the broncos and cowboys but a long way from the oilers. When I lived in Farmington I really did not have a team. Well my dad got transfered to a power plant 56 miles west of Phoenix when I was a sophmore (89) in high school and the Cardinals were in town. So I finally found my team. Getting to meet folks like Ken Harvey, Jay Novachex(sp) and many others only clinched it.

Now living in Albuquerque mostly all New Mexicans are cowboy fans or bronco fans or fans of which ever team wins the superbowl. But there are a handful of proud Cardinals fans around.

abcard

Veteran
Reaction score
Grew up in Arkansas.Started listening to Cardinals baseball when I was about nine years old.My grandfather would come down from Chicago and visit and got me started on Cards baseball.In a couple of years started watching Cards football.Thats been about thirty-five years ago.I moved to Texas about thirty years ago but have never have been able to root for Cowboys.All the other Texas professional teams I like.I think I'm giving myself NFL season ticket for Christmas this year so I can watch Cards again.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As many of you remember...I originally came on here as a life-long, "Died-Hard" Lions fan, but I began to follow the Cardinals and gradually began coming a fan of theirs.... Then, I realized the obvious that you can't have two favorite teams whatsoever and came to the realization that I must completely change my allegiances to the AZ Cardinals and vest 110% both my following and rooting interest into this franchise, especially since I am going to settle out here in the Phoenix area.....

I didn't attend many games as I hoped last season, but plan on buying Season Tickets ASAP.....

I will always have my vivid memories of growing-up as a Lions fan, however, since both the Cardinals and Lions parrelel in almost every regard...it seems that I've been rooting for/supporting the Cardinals forever....

Edit: The same holds true for the other 3-major professional sports teams.. Bye-Bye to the Tigers, Pistons, and Red Wings and Hello to the Dbacks, Suns, and Coyotes...

Last edited:

Freddie

Registered
Reaction score
I am the kind that didn't start being a fan until we hired Dennis Green and the organization looked like it was moving forward, instead of backwards. :D

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
Thee Andikrist

watched football on tv in the early to mid 70's here in Phx. Cowboys country.
Being a lifetime iconoclast, I hated the Cows. I liked the simple, clean red and white unis, and the way they'd always be competative, but never quite make it. Then came teenage years, punk rock and drugs - no time for organized sports. Starting in '92, I went to the occaisional game, listened on the radio, watched 'em on tv again. Starting in '97, have made every regular season game, even cutting out of a friend's out of town wedding early to make the 2nd 1/2 of a home game. In '99 became a season ticket holder.
I've gotten crazier and crazier - the losing hurts more and more, the hope for a better future now crosses my mind every day. I love the tailgating and the 1/2 time ASFN meet... I roll with cardinals stickers on every side of my sled, and love every smirk from damn Raider gangster, er... fan, and Cow fan...

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm the kind of fan that thinks whatever move the Cardinals make is a brilliant one. We are super bowl bound every year and will fight to the death defending their honor in any bar across the United States. Any Cardinals gear is gladly accepted as a gift, unless you give me a jersey of a player who left the team last year.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NMCard said:
Bum Phillips, Earl Campbell and the Oilers.
a little about moi:

Grew up in Erie, PA - right in the middle of a triangle of Pittsburgh, Buffalo, & cleveland. My best friend was such an obnoxious Steelers fan that they went from my favorite team to the most despised. I couldn't root for Cleveland - because if you're a Steeler fan, then you automatically hate the Browns. And I never garnered an interest for Buffalo. sooooo... when I was looking for a new team (I was 8 at the time) I just started to root for my favorite college player's team. So when he got drafted by Houston, I naturally became an Oiler Fan. Everything I owned was Houston Oiler stuff. I hand it to my mom, I don't know how she found the stuff she did - it's not like Erie, PA has a bunch of Oiler stuff. There were only 2 Oiler fans in our school - me & Bob Baffick. Baffick's family was from Houston.

Anywho, we moved to AZ in 1983 & I still followed the Earlers. I always kinda followed the Big Red though becasue OJ Anderson came in the league right after Campbell & I liked to compare the 2 RBs. When the Cards moved here, I naturally followed them die-hardedly. However, being in High School & College I really couldn't afford to go to the games. Right after college I moved to Virginia Beach & then to Newport News, VA. I watched every game in a Sports Bar (Rusty Nail ?). There was only one other Cards fan that I ever saw in the bars - & that was my brother who came down to visit. I still followed the Oilers too. In matter of fact my 4 worst days concerning Sports related stuff are (1.) Tillman Death (2.) ASU's Rose Bowl loss -(I seriously had a nervous breakdown & lost it for about a week) (3.) Oilers blowing 35-3 lead in playoffs and losing to the freaking Bills and Frank Reich and (4.) Bum Phillips being fired on New Years Eve after losing to the damn Steelers in the Playoffs.

When I moved back to AZ - I got my season tickets. The Oiler connection dwindled when they moved to Tennessee and completely died when they changed their name. So I understand that alot of people will change allegiences if the Big Red changes their name.

So I am a die hard Cards fan. My wife is one too - but she doesn't understand the Cardinal Angst that takes over during the season and the Cardinal Euphoria in the offseason.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm an Army brat but my family is from Mass. so I grew up a Pats fan. The two teams that I always had hated the most were the Raiders and the....you got it.....Cardinals.

I moved to AZ in '79.

Cards moved in.

I became a fan.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm the kind of Card fan that doesn't have another team. I never walk out of SDS thinking "I wonder how my other team did?"

It's all Cards all the time when it comes to the NFL. (And save your "teams of my childhood" excuses...I am from LA and followed the Rams until the Cards hit town :thumbup: ). Pick one team and support it 100%.

Since they've been here I've missed exactly 2 games (both preseason if I remember correctly). In both cases, I made sure the tix went to CARDS FANS (AzCards21 and Skkorp respectively).

I do not complain about the heat - if you can't stand it, stay home like Wild Dolphin.

I am proud to be a Cards fan win or lose, and lose my voice nearly every week supporting not only MY team, but MY players.

I've never missed an ASFN halftime gathering and a couple of times never made it back to my seats because some of the diehards were banded together watching the game and talking smack, especially the Packers game (myself, Stronso, and KofC). Watched the Cards knock out the Vikes with my cousin and mdamien.

This site can change your life. I've met so many great diehards and it's like we are all brothers (and a few sisters).

Go ASFN!!

Go CARDS!!!

BIGTONY

Registered
Reaction score
I WILL ALWAYS LOVE MY CARDINALS,THICK AND THIN.TWO AWESOME THINGS ARE GOING TO CHANGE THIS YEAR FOR MOST OF US I HOPE.BUT I GREW UP IN CHICAGO,SO OF COURSE IM A CUBS FAN.THEY ACTUALY HAVE A CHANCE EVERY YEAR FOR AT LEAST DUSTY IS IN CHARGE,THE CUBS ARE CHANGING EVERY DAY,I CAN SEE IT,THEY WILL HOPE FULLY GO TO THE WORLD SERIES AND HOPEFULLY WIN.I REMEMBER WHEN WE SUCKED EVERY YEAR.BUT THE SAME THING WILL HAPPEN TOO OUR CARDINALS,THE WINDS ARE CHANGING I CAN SEE IT COMING.I WILL ALWAYS BE CARDINALS FAN.EVERY SUNDAY I WILL TRY TO GO.I WILL ALWAYS TRY TO ROOT FOR OUR CARDINALS. I GUESS THATS WHY I STARTED DANCING IN THE SOUTH ENDZONE TOO GET PEOPLE EXCITED,PUMPED UP.I GUESS YOU CAN CALL ME A CHEERLEADER,BUT FOR SOME REASON IT WAS MY CALLING TO DANCE IN THE EMDZONE. I HAVE MET LOTS OF PEOPLE FROM MY DANCING.I DONT THINKIT WILL BE HUGE LIKE IT USE TO BE,BUT I WILL TRY TO DO IT EVERY GAME,AND LET THE PEOPLE GET PUMPED UP.I HAVE SEEN IT ALL.IM A HUGE FAN EVERY DAY,AND I WILL LET PEOPLE KNOW THAT IM A CARDINALS FAN.I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN MADE FUN OF BECAUSE I BLEED CARDINALS RED.MY FRIENDS ALWAYS SAY WHAT A JOKE,THE CARDINALS SHOULD MOVE,THE OWNER SUCKS.I HEAR IT ALL.. BUT SOMEDAY I WILL TELL THEM I TOLD YOU SO,IT TOOK US 20 YEARS TOO WIN IT ALL,BUT WE DID IT SUPERBOWL CHAMPS 2005.MY MOM ALWAYS SAYS WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND. JUST REMEMBER THE 85 BEARS CAME FROM NO WHERE TO WIN IT ALL.YES IT CAN.. YOU MUST FAITH. :wave: :stupid:

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Were you disappointed with Lomax becuase his career was ended early due to injury? I think that is what you were saying. He was best QB Cards ever had. He was even better than Hart. Look at Lomax QB rating. I have been fan since mid 70s. They were exciting in mid 70s with Hart and in early to mid 80s with Lomax. I have been very disappointed in the team in last several years. I was not impressed with signing Blake or Emmit Smith and letting good players go. Have not had pass rush since Rice. That is pathetic.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I grew up in Southern California, Didn't really have a favorite team more of a favorite player Ronnie Lott and just followed him wherever he wen't. Moved to Flagstaff when I was 15, moved there a week before training camp and wen't to check out the Cards when it started. I knew they sucked, but liked that they played in the same division as the Cowboys I HATED the cowboys. That was 94 during the Buddy ball era, The players were all very cool, nice guys and I loved all the fights in training camp (as a 15 year old you have to admit that was a pretty cool thing to watch).
It led to me watching preseason, then regular season in 94 and it took me all the way to the beginning of the 95 season, were I would ditch school to watch training camp all day with my friends. I have been a die hard Cardinal obssesed person to this day.

Last edited:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Been a diehard Cards fan since 1978 (10yrs old) I really used to think I was the only hardcore Cards fan in the country. Of course this was before I got a computer or attended my first Cardinals game in AZ. But I used to see the empty stadiums and hear the constant barrage of jokes and think that no one gave a crap about them except me. Of course I know different, but I still feel I love this team more than anyone! :D I remember when I was at that game in AZ, two fans next to me asked me where I was from because I was cheering for the Cards like no one they ever saw. They said "are you from NY?" I told them proudly I was from Philly, and that I loved the Cards with the same passion that eagles fans loved their team. That's true as hell because the number of near fights I've been in at the Vet through the years is proof positive. What'll make me happy is when I get to meet some of you bums when I come out to AZ for a game this year. Have the brewskis ready gang is all I can say!

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What kind of Cardinal fan am I?

A fat one. I need to lose some weight! As soon as school's out I'm hitting the gym in the mornings.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05