What kind of Card Fan are you?

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
What kind of Card Fan are you? I ask not to bash you but to get insight on just how crazy of a Cardinal fan you are.

Let me start with stating the OBVIOUS... I have not been a lifelong Card fan.
I adopted them when they moved to the valley. My hopes fell hard with neil Lomax, then Tim Rosenbach,bought into early Buddy ball, and finally was just glad that my favorite collge player of all time played here and lead us to our only playoff victory. Time to move on I think (hunch) this will be the WR era.

Good Points for being a Card Fan:
1. preseason - get up early before work and still trying to find more insight to the players drafted and given the uptmost in confidence they will succeed.
Draft time - live and die by the picks.
I would like to note this is the best draft on paper the Cardinals for depth have ever had. I feel they missed on CB but filled so many needs with legitimate players I am sooo happy.

2. preseason - will travel with a scout/coach 1 trip to flagstaff, like I have since the Buddy era. unfortunately there he will break down the positions and players to a point that will give us about a 4 game outlook. Then if things dont change outlook.
Last year I was the one that came in and told everyone of Anquan Boldin it was my first post in this place. The guy told me he was the best pick that has come out of the draft in sometime (IF they utilize him rt.)

3. preseason games - maybe one live the rest find a way to watch.

4. Regular Season - I dont buy season tickets now for a variety of reasons but it will basically change once they get the new stadium. YES I VOTED YES BUILD the stadium and they will come thing.

5. After the Cardinals win their first game.....
Poke myself with a needle to see how close the color of my blood is to Cardinal red. (...................................kidding)

6. Foresight - Its great to be in here early building the excitement/knowlegement as small as it may be at this moment waiting for opening day. TO meet people until that day and tell them we are going to win this year and explain how and whats changed.

A. Coaching changes
B. Great depth in the draft.(still doing research but already feel this way)
C. Better players in what over the years was proven a better system.

BTW - I do try and make one Cardinal Charity a year.

Bad Points
Its only fair to list what is wrong with the team.
1. CB and safety seems suspect
2. QB If your not a diehard Card fan your laughing at this moment till he proves himself. or another is brought in.
3. Depth defense - (injury)we really have NONE on defense, but maybe the D-line ??? i
4. Depth offense - (like King better than McCown) RB would be a big drop if -Emmitt was taken 60% + of the reps.
5. Schedule - I dont care how much we improved we are not ready for that opening schedule.

^^ all that may sound bad but - I tell you its not... maybe the best reason, chance we have to win since the Plummer playoffs.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little about the A-Bomb;

Grew up watching and following the Chicago Bears since they won the Super Bowl when I was in middle school. Had a Walter Payton mesh jersey. :) My parents did not follow sports at all, so my love of sports was self-created.

Didn't REALLY start learning football and following the NFL until college (1994-1999). Decided to root for and follow the Cardinals due to D-Dogg's following them. Baseball is still my first love because of my understanding of the game, but football is catching up. Most of the threads I start here are to gain an understanding the history of NFL, players and the Cardinals.

Bought season tickets for the first time for the 2003-2004 season and reupped this season. Look forward to going to Flagstaff for training camp, attending both pre-season games and every home game. I will watch the road games and hope to make it to a road game next season. Can't wait for the new stadium and rooting for the Cards, for better or worse because they are OUR team. :)

:)

A-Bomb

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
What kind of fan? A big fan. I go to every pre-season and regular season game, and then watch all the away pre-season and regular season games on TV. I try to go on one road trip each year to an away game.

The offseason is just as interesting to real fans because the draft, free agency period, and training camp helps determine the players which will make up the team.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
MastersofCombat said:
What kind of Card Fan are you?

Here's an idea of my level of fandom...I'm seriously thinking of buying season tickets this year...and I live in New Jersey, I don't fly, and am not planning any trips to the valley this season.

So why would I do this? To secure a spot on the season ticket holder rolls so when the new stadium opens, I end up with decent seats. One day, the Cards are gonna be good (and I think that day is sooner rather than later with Denny at the helm), and with a new stadium that's air conditioned, there is gonna be demand for tickets. Gotta get while the gettin's good! And hey, I may eventually move out there, so why not?

What would I do with tickets I'm not not gonna use? Give 'em away to peeps on this board! :thumbup:

Hopefully I can swing it without the wife freaking out. (Yeah, right!) I'll decide by the end of May if I'm gonna do it this year or not.

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
a little about mad dog..

I grew up a die hard Raider fan in Steeler country - face painter, shoulder pad wearer, etc. I loved the balls to the wall core players on the Raiders - Mark van Eeghan, Otis Sistrunk, Lester Hayes, Ted Hendricks, Cliff Branch, Kenny King, Dave Dalby, Dave Casper, etc.... then later on Marcus Allen & Bo.

We moved to the valley & 83 & I loved that they showed many of the Raider games on NBC. Back east, we got Pitt, Buff, & Cleve & that was about it.

I liked the Cards when they were in StL - basically I liked OJ, Lomax. Roy Green (I thought he was a stud when he played both O & D).

I still liked the Raiders when the Cards came to town, but I liked the Cards too. The Cards were my #2 team until 91 or so when we got season tix.

All my loyalties to the Raiders faded away - they are still my # 2 team, but the Cards are way #1,

I like being the underdog. It is not trendy being a Cards fan. We are true fans - all of us. No one can ever accuse of us being band wagoners.

I lived outside of DC for 4 yrs in the 90s & still kep my season tix.

scot182

Registered
Reaction score
i grew up in la(go dodgers) moved to beautiful kingman az the year the cards came to town so the cards got me into watching football, so they have been my team since

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Growing up Basketball was my favorite sport until I started playing tackle football with my friends on the park. My family moved here in AZ in 1994 and I attended a Cardinal game and from there on I was hooked. For ten years now I've been following the Cards here and there and on 1997 I bought my first season tickets. I stay even though we are being blown out of the water.

danny l

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I have been a cardinal fan since 1960 when the cardinals moved to St. Louis. My whole family thinks that I am crazy because I ALWAYS plan my Sundays around the Cardinal ball games during the season. (Spend the cash for DIRECTV & have since it was available.) I go around either giddy for a week after a Cardinal victory or really irritable for a week after a loss. The Cardinals are MY religion.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I grew up in North C and didn't have any pro teams at all back then. :( So the only thing I got to see was MJ and Blue Devils. So I started watching B-Ball.... Then I moved to AZ and we only had the Suns so my love for Basketball began. Since the Suns were the only team I didn't watch much football at all, but I followed the Bills. But when the Cards came to town I have been a true fan of the Cards and since I didn't watch much football before I only know Cards football so I guess I don't get to mad at them not winning a SB yet.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
maddogkf said:
I still liked the Raiders when the Cards came to town, but I liked the Cards too. The Cards were my #2 team until 91 or so when we got season tix.

All my loyalties to the Raiders faded away - they are still my # 2 team, but the Cards are way #1,

I like being the underdog. It is not trendy being a Cards fan. We are true fans - all of us. No one can ever accuse of us being band wagoners.

That's basically the same thing with me. Always a Raiders fan till the Cards got here. It took a while for them to grow on me but after a few seasons they displaced the Raiders as my #1. While living in L.A. I cheered for the Cards at a sports bar packed with Raiders fans so I think that kind of sealed the loyalty for me.

Love the Cards. There's no other sports team I follow as passionately. I follow all the AZ teams but I don't care for any sport as much as football.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
What kind of fan? A big fan. I go to every pre-season and regular season game, and then watch all the away pre-season and regular season games on TV. I try to go on one road trip each year to an away game.

The offseason is just as interesting to real fans because the draft, free agency period, and training camp helps determine the players which will make up the team.

I have been a Cards fan since 1945 when I was 13 years old and had just move to Chicago. I lived in the northern suburbs and should have been a Bears fan but the first game I ever saw the Cards had Charlie Trippi and I was hooked for ever. Watched the Bears and Cards play in Wrigley. Have followed them forever. Have watched ever game since Direct TV came into my area. Watched ever game that was on regular TV except for two years in Vietam. Have seen them play in several cities. Will always be a Cardinal fan. Be nice to have a winner to cheer for but I am here for the really really long run. Time is running out on me so we need to start putting together a team that can compete. I am no dreamer and understand the reality of where we are. Go Cards for the 59th consecutive year. Perhaps my most proud moment and thing I will remember most is Pat Tillman and his and all the other guys and girls sacrifice so we can sit here and talk to each other.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
how PHXSPORTS4LIFE became Ouchie-Z-Clown . . .

grew up in phx. loved football. played on state champion pop warner football team, chargers with stan kwan (former quality control coach of cards under mcginnis). played high school ball (oline and middle linebacker) - captain of 1987 camelback high school squad (played w/ kevin minifield - some might remember from asu - he played in same defensive backfield w/ sparks, woodson, etc). played one and half years of football in college b4 knee blown out. so i REALLY love football.

grew up a rams and bears fan. fam originally from chicago and pops was a big sports fan. was a much more fervent rams fan. brother (not cheese, the other one) was a fan of the niners. that sucked 'cuz my younger bro's favorite team was always better than mine.

was in college at tufts university in boston when cards moved to valley. while home on break immediately went to park n' swap and bought "illegal" "Arizona Cardinals" sweatshirt w/ logo that didn't look close to the right cardinal. at the time they were the phoenix cardinals, so my sweatshirt was obviously unlicensed. was stoked to have a team. pops bought season tickets. started at 20 yard line on the sunnyside of sds. cheese was only 11 but every week he and i would talk and i was amazed at his football knowledge. we'd shoot stats at each other for over an hour every sunday night. i'd go to as many games as i could when i was back in phx. however, my first allegience was to the rams still. it wasn't until a few stump mitchell poundings later (he just loved to run on the rams) that i came fully around and gave up my love for the rams and went 100% w/ the cards.

in law school (back east) my best friends were: cowboys fan, eagles fan, giants fans, redskins fans, and a raider fan. yeah, all nfc east. that was TOUGH. every sunday having to watch them celebrate (and all the other nfc east teams were perennially in the playoffs or winning superbowls - being in dc for the skins (rypien) superbowl made my stomach turn) sucked!

moved back to phx in '95. pops increased his season tix to 4. used to go w/ my pops, non-cheese bro, and a family friend (or cheese when he was in town) to every home game. watched every away game at my pops' house. we'd all yell like mad.

you think cheese and i are bad on this board? we moved to section 6, on the shady side of sds row 42. only the handicapped dudes sit behind us. well, everyone in the section has been there for so long that we all know one and other and we're all friends . . . now. when we first arrived they hated us. we were rightfully so pessimistic. i almost got in a fight with a 75 year old man wearing burgundy toughskins . . . i kid you not, b/c i was cheering for buddy to lose his last game to get canned. eventually everyone in the section came around to our way of thinking. the eternal pessismists as we became known as turned everyone. even the two little old ladies that sit next to us in their cardinal earnings came around. we routinely see frank kush sitting across the steps from us and my pops will talk football w/ him occasionally. once, my father, who is one of the quietest most unassuming people you'll ever meet (i know, difficult to beleive given what y'all know of cheese and i), was on such a rant that a lady turned to him and said, "you have the foulest mouth of anyone i've ever heard" - HILARIOUS given context.

then i moved out to socal. still try to get back for as many games as possible. always meet up with cheese to watch the cards games at a bar. this board totally saves me. it gives me the cards fix i need to survive my daily battles. thank you all.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started following the Cards when DG became the coach. My old team (the Vikings) got knocked out of playoff contention by the Cards, but signing DG made me forget about that. I have racked up several thousand posts so far this season. Pretty soon I will stop this "favorite team 1a and 1b" business and profess the Cardinals as #1!

Sincerely,

vikesfan

;)

Seriously though, good thread.

A-Bomb
"I kid because I care"

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
A little about Capital Card:

I was born in Phoenix while my parents were still students at ASU. Dad joined the army after graduation and, like most military families, we moved pretty frequently.

We were in the middle of a 6 year assignment in Texas (Killeen) when I discovered NFL football. This was in the Staubach/Dorsett glory years. At that point in my life, I didn't know people weren't Cowboy fans.

We finally left Texas for Kansas. My best freind there was a big Dolphin fan. I don't remember how or why, but I switched my loyalties to the Dolphins as well. From the 5th grade until I graduated HS (7th - 12th in Europe), I was a die-hard Dolphin fan.

After graduation, I moved back to Arizona to attend ASU. I decided I needed a west coast football team. This was Bosworth's rookie year. I decided that I would be a Seahawk fan from that point on. (Boz just lost his footing, Bo didn't really run him over :D )

The following year is when the Cards came to Phoenix. I was certainly intrigued. Seahawks were a fun team in 87, but I wasn't "attached" to them.

I couldn't afford to go to any of the games during the inaugural season, but I followed the team through training camp, and on TV/Radio. Even still, I wasn't totally hooked. It wasn't until Joe Montana came to town with the 9er's, that the Cards found their way into my soul. I only got to hear the game on the radio, as I had to work that day, but I have been a total fan of the team ever since. (Is it possible to buy a tape of this game anywhere???? I consider it a life-changing event.)

Moving to the East Coast in '93 made it tough to follow the team, but I stuck with it. In 1999, I took a job in DC that allowed me a LOT of time to surf the net. (Much like Sec 11 now :) ) It was then that I found the old Rivals site, which eventually evolved into this place.

Go Cards!!!

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was playing hockey in Dallas in the old Central league in 1968, and was invited to a Cowboy game by an acquaintance who was a big Cowboy fan, hoping to recruit me into the fold.

They were playing the Cards, and for reasons beyond normal understanding, I just loved them; and have since.

Thanks to Direct TV, I haven't missed a game in years.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
I was working for Pan Am in the early 60s after my discharge from the Canadian Airforce (don't laugh, our record from keeping russian bombers attacking New York City and Boston stands to this day), anyway, I was in the middle of all these Giant fans who lived and breathed Giant Football. They were driving me nuts so when asked what team I was rooting for, I glanced at the bottom place team in the NFL East, and you'll never guess what team was there. Yep, times havn't changed a whole lot over the years, but I love supporting the Cards.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Born in North Carolina, lived there until I was six. At the time, there was no pro football team, so everybody there followed the Redskins. I moved to NY for two years (Newburgh, obviously no team there either) and then moved back south, to SC.

Moved to Arizona about 13 years ago or so. Started following the Cardinals about 9 or 10 years ago. I didn't really become a huge fan though, until that Monday night game on Christmas day against the Cowboys during Buddy's last year. :eek: I was actually rooting for the Cowboys, but after seeing how lame Cowboy fans were, I started pulling for the Cardinals, the underdogs.

Been a huge fan every since, and have only missed a few games since then.

seesred

Reaction score
Grew up in N.Y. city. Rooted for the Giants of Pat Summerall and Frank Gifford. Becaame a Jet fan when Broadway Joe came to town(Was drafted by the Cards is that strange). I moved here in the early 70's and have been here every since. When the old American Football league was running I rooted for the Arizona Wranglers. Then they folded and the Card came in 98. I ****** became a fan of my team the Cardinals. I own 7 seats and go to every game pre season, Flagstaff, and on the road when I can afford it.
I went to see them in Dallas in 98 for the playoffs, New Orleans when I saw our running back run for over 200 yards.San Diego, L.A. with buddy ryan first game of the season. Buerline to Ricky Preoel to win the game and it was inches to far off of Rickeys fingers. Proel was blacklisted by Ryan and things were never the same that year.

I take my wife and grandchildren and we have a blast with tailgating with friends and becoming friends with many inside the organization. My favorite Card player was Larry Centers, I'll never forget when he jumped over some player, I now have a few favorites led by Q.Will be at this Sundays pick a seat and will bask in the sun haveing fun watching the Cardinals as I dream about the big game in the new stadium.

GBR

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
Cardinal Bob said:
Here's an idea of my level of fandom...I'm seriously thinking of buying season tickets this year...and I live in New Jersey, I don't fly, and am not planning any trips to the valley this season.

So why would I do this? To secure a spot on the season ticket holder rolls so when the new stadium opens, I end up with decent seats. One day, the Cards are gonna be good (and I think that day is sooner rather than later with Denny at the helm), and with a new stadium that's air conditioned, there is gonna be demand for tickets. Gotta get while the gettin's good! And hey, I may eventually move out there, so why not?

What would I do with tickets I'm not not gonna use? Give 'em away to peeps on this board! :thumbup:

Hopefully I can swing it without the wife freaking out. (Yeah, right!) I'll decide by the end of May if I'm gonna do it this year or not.

I am the kind of fan that thinks this is a fantastic idea.

I’d do it if I could afford it.
:D

danny l

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
John H, it was a real bummer in Viet Nam (68-69) not being able to keep up with the Cardinals, whenever I would get in off a patrol the 1st thing that I would look for would be a newspaper that would have some Cardinal news. Unfortunately, like you I don't have that much time left for the cardinals to be screwing around. Dr. diagnosed incurable metastatic lung cancer during Christmas vacation. 2-4 yrs. I don't have time for more screwups Cardinals, so get it together. Super Bowl by 2006 at the latest. OK.

danny l

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks Seesred, and to think they told us that Agent Orange wasn't dangerous. :stupid: You weren't spraying that crap were you John? :p
Back to the thread, it just doesn't make sense to care this much for a football team but damnit we do. I really don't know what that says about us but I'm sure a shrink could do a real good study on us. :D

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
I was born to cheer on the Jets, and continued to do so after moving to AZ from NJ. Once we got a team, I paid a little attention to them until Lomax can around, and then I started watching the Cards. Swann turned me into a Cardinal's fan. He was fun to watch. I had season tickets one year (1996), then switched to the Flexi-Pack until 2002 season ended. The last two years I had very little faith that we'd have a team worth watching, so I didn't spend the money. I plan on attending games this year, and if we are at least competitive, I'll get the Flexi next season. I was a teacher until this year, so money is always tight. Now that I got this Principal gig it will be easier to afford tickets without my wife freaking out. A winning record would also support my case to get tickets again. I've been watching them religiously on the tube and following them in the papers, I've attended every training camp Flagstaff has hosted, and I always wear my Cardinal button-up to work every Monday no matter how bad of a spanking we take, and I've always had Cardinal gear on my car.

Last edited:

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardinal Bob said:

You know, I was actually considering the same thing about a month or so back. There must be something in the water in Jersey. :)

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
I was born in Alton,Ill right across the river from St Louis. My dad took me to my first Cardinal game in 1970 and it was a blast because I finally got to see
my beloved Cardials for the first. I went into the Military in 1984 and am retiring in Sept 04. I was born a Cardinal fan, still am a hard core Cardinal fan and will die a Cardial fan.

Navy Mike

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05