What makes the Spurs the best franchise in sports, and why the Suns have no titles?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
C'mon...

Being an Arizona Cardinal fan...the only satisfaction I get is STL Cardinal Baseball and Spurs Basketball. Both of those teams are class organizations that have won championships.

It is easy to hate a team that keeps you from winning a championship. I still hate the Portland Trail Blazers and their "dirty" players from keeping David Robinson from winning in his prime.

It's obvious that most of the Spurs and Suns like and or at least respect each other...we should do the same. Two great teams but only one can win.

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I'm a vehement Suns fan, have no particular use for Spurs fans, but do not subscribe to physical threats, fistfights, etc. I admire the talent of Duncan, etc., but think its a shame and a disgrace that they taint legitimate wins with whining and dirty play. I don't want our fans to taint sportsmanship in a similar way.

Look, out on the floor any one of those guys could do something that has the potential of injuring or crippling an opposing player. There has to be a boundary of what you can and cannot do, or basketball becomes hockey, a game I do not follow. Bowen and the Flopper, systematically and blatantly, cross that line, counting on the habits of the other team to protect them from retaliation. The Flopper put Barbosa out for quite a few games, and got no penalty at all for it. If they like that kind of play, let them join the NHL; that's the epitome of dirty play, in my book. If their fans think it's OK, they aren't worth having a discussion with--they don't understand Bball, and are a disgrace to fandom. It's hard to stifle the impulse to smash their faces in,

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
In a word: Duncan. He's the best player since Jordan and Shaq. Once you've got a hold of the best player in the league, the championship is yours to lose. For a decade. You just have to make a few right calls... surrounding him with a couple other semi-stars and then a group of role players. But it doesn't work with the fifth best player in the league (Garnett, Nowitzki, etc.). It only works with the best.

If Amare becomes that player, we become the Spurs. If he doesn't, we don't.

As much as we talk about Nash, the Suns' championship hopes rest on Amare. If he plays as he did last night, picking up moronic fouls and being largely clueless on defense, we'll never dethrone the Spurs, and/or win it all. If he ever figures it out, we'll win the title.

We may be looking at a window here, because LeBron looks ready to assume the title of the next dynasty-grabber.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
We may be looking at a window here, because LeBron looks ready to assume the title of the next dynasty-grabber.
LeBron isn't going anywhere except home in the next round. He doesn't have enough supporting talent to get to the finals yet. He's in a little better situation than Kobe is with the Lakers--because he plays in the pathetic Eastern Conference, but they still have more deals to be done to get to the next level, let alone become a dynasty. The Pistons will roll them in 5 games (or less). Detroit is the only elite team in the east.

If Cleveland was in the Western Conference, they would be no higher than a #6 seed IMO.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Spurs aren't even in the top 5 list of best franchises in sports, let alone anywhere close to the best one period.

Last edited:

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
The Spurs aren't even in the top 5 list of best franchises in sports, let alone anywhere close to the best one period.

ESPN says the Spurs are #1.
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/story?id=2248555
Updated: Dec. 7, 2005, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Standings: Spurs Named Top Franchise

ESPN The Magazine

Since the debut of the Ultimate Standings in 2003, in which SportsNation feedback ranks every pro franchise in MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL, the San Antonio Spurs have been a fixture among the top teams in sports. In fact, they have never finished below No. 3 in the overall rankings. This year, after slipping from No. 1 to No. 2 in 2004, the Spurs have reclaimed the top spot in the Ultimate Standings thanks to an ultimate performance on the court, tireless efforts in the community and a cost-friendly sports experience for Spurs fans in every tax bracket.

http://members.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0212/084.html

The Spurs, have won three NBA titles in the past eight years and have the highest winning percentage among major professional sports teams in the past decade.

The Spurs, as of November of 2006, are also the 2nd most winningest franchise in NBA history after the Lakers in terms of winning percentage having past the fabled Boston Celtics.

So I refute your answer Coyotefan.

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
It appears that the Spurs are turning into the NBA's equivalent of the Yankees,

Nice try, but the Lakers are the NBA version of the Yankees (as much as I loath giving the Lakeshow credit for anything).

Spurs have had a great decade since drafting Duncan. Period.

Before that, they were a second-to-third tier team that was nice to watch and had nice players, but never enough pieces to make a real run at rings, even after drafting Robinson. (Anyone remember Barkley shooting over DRob in 93?)

As was mentioned on another thread, the run of success in the last 10 years has been due to Duncan and supporting cast combining their legit talent with the whinniest, sissy-tough style of basketball known to man.

If they could dish it out and take it, like the Pistons Bad Boys of old, I would be able to tolerate them. Then they would just play ugly, thug basketball and win rings.

What I hate is the incessant bitching and whining combined with cheapshot, dirty play. It's demeaning for grown men.

:soapbox:

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It appears that the Spurs are turning into the NBA's equivalent of the Yankees,

I dont remember the Yankees setting record low ratings for the world series, ala the spurs everytime they go into the finals.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont remember the Yankees setting record low ratings for the world series, ala the spurs everytime they go into the finals.

Its because only the 5 mariachi bands in SA care to watch the Spurs..

__JaG__

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I get such a good laugh reading through this thread (especially posts from your mods). having lived in phoenix and san antonio I can admit that the cultures aren’t THAT different, but it’s obvious what years and years of losing can do to “fans”. most of the posters in this forum could only ever wish to have the class of pacman jones

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
It's not about ratings. It's about championships. I would bet that if the Suns come back and then win the whole thing, that the parade on, I assume, Central Avenue, would be celebrated to the fullest by the Phoenician population. And the Nielsen ratings for that would register low as well. But it ain't about that, is it?

At the beginning of the season, if you ask a player what's more important, winning a title or nielsen ratings, they wouldn't tell you ratings.

The Yankees haven't won title in while despite their payroll. Ain't parity and the salary cap great? If it wasn't for the cap, teams like the Lakers, Celtics, and Knicks would buy the Stoudamires, Duncans, and Nash's of the league with no restriction.

Why is it when a team's fans see title windows starting to close they latch on to the tinyest thing in hopes of finding a way to belittle the opposition? IMHO, it ain't what anyone would term classy.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I understand how it feels.

If you root for the Arizona Cardinals like I do...then you hate the Cowboys as much as any team. They have owned us and because of that I hate everything cowboy...the fans especially.

HooverDam

Reaction score
1967-2002 San Antonio Spurs 1,574-1,270 .553
1968-2002 Phoenix Suns 1,509-1,247 .548

I couldn't find a list that had their records from 03-07 added in, but basically the Spurs and the Suns have had very similar winning percentages over their histories. However, the Suns have NEVER had the number 1 pick, and the Spurs have had it twice, netting two of the top 50 players of all time. Really I think a better question is, why is the Spurs record so close to the Suns considering these advantages? One could argue the Spurs have squandered their blessings, its pretty astounding David Robinson was never able to lead his team to a title (1999 doesn't really count).

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's not about ratings. It's about championships. I would bet that if the Suns come back and then win the whole thing, that the parade on, I assume, Central Avenue, would be celebrated to the fullest by the Phoenician population. And the Nielsen ratings for that would register low as well. But it ain't about that, is it?

At the beginning of the season, if you ask a player what's more important, winning a title or nielsen ratings, they wouldn't tell you ratings.

The Yankees haven't won title in while despite their payroll. Ain't parity and the salary cap great? If it wasn't for the cap, teams like the Lakers, Celtics, and Knicks would buy the Stoudamires, Duncans, and Nash's of the league with no restriction.

Why is it when a team's fans see title windows starting to close they latch on to the tinyest thing in hopes of finding a way to belittle the opposition? IMHO, it ain't what anyone would term classy.

It aint about ratings to me, but I know San Antonio fans, and nothing gets under their skin more than talking aobut how nobody else in the entire country wants to watch the spurs.

If the spurs were my team, I could care less about that, but it definitely bothers most San Antonio fans. And we're at a point now in this series, where the gauntlet has been thrown down (by spurs fans as well as the team), so I'm gonna have to attack you where I know it hurts...

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Where it hurts?? i dont think you realize that when the spurs played the nets and the rating were the lowest they've ever been...duncan still lifted the trophy, the spurs had still won 2 out of the last 4 titles, and the riverwalk parade still took place with 80,000 people....i dont remember wondering if some kid in Ajo Arizona was watching duncan stuff kenyon martin's ****.

Good for you. But you're telling me all spurs fans are like you, and dont care when the ratings question is mentioned? I have found they do.

__JaG__

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good for you. But you're telling me all spurs fans are like you, and dont care when the ratings question is mentioned? I have found they do.

if as a fan i'd never seen my team win the title, i might think as you do...but i guess we can agree to disagree only cause i like steve nash....you can knock the low finals tv ratings| i'll respond with sarcasm, knowing that spurs have 3 of the last 8...i'm content

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
if as a fan i'd never seen my team win the title, i might think as you do...but i guess we can agree to disagree only cause i like steve nash....you can knock the low finals tv ratings| i'll respond with sarcasm, knowing that spurs have 3 of the last 8...i'm content

Hey, you weren't here weeks ago, when everyone was shaking hands and saying have a good series. I was right there.

But what's happened since game 2, with spurs fans (and as we saw with duncan's comments last night, spurs players) acting like amare stoudemire went on vile diatribe against the entire spurs organization (when he spoke extremely calming, and simply asked bruce bowen to clean it up). That combined with comments by duncan basically going out of his way to call our team soft, has started this back and forth we've seen since yesterday.

I have no problem with the spurs, I talk about how tim duncan is one of the 12-13 player of ALL TIME, and how I'm sure they're all class guys off the court. But why do spurs fans/players take comments so personally? Basically starting with amare's comments, which if watch the actual video was nothing.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

I couldn't find a list that had their records from 03-07 added in, but basically the Spurs and the Suns have had very similar winning percentages over their histories. However, the Suns have NEVER had the number 1 pick, and the Spurs have had it twice, netting two of the top 50 players of all time. Really I think a better question is, why is the Spurs record so close to the Suns considering these advantages? One could argue the Spurs have squandered their blessings, its pretty astounding David Robinson was never able to lead his team to a title (1999 doesn't really count).

Your welcome for Barbosa.

The Spurs have drafted pretty well late in rd 1 and beyond too...Manu, Parker, and Barbosa.

Oh...and 1999 counts. We might even let Charles Barkley take a picture with it.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

I don't. SA is a small TV market. You have 3 teams in the same state and those two things combined equals a lower rating.

I would take the Arizona Cardinals setting a record for the lowest Super Bowl rating of all time...I really would.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score

http://www.answers.com/topic/san-antonio-spurs

As of November 2006, the Spurs rank second of active franchises for highest winning percentage in NBA history (behind the Los Angeles Lakers). The Spurs passed the Boston Celtics (the first franchise to do so with a statistically significant number of games played since March 30, 1988) with a win over the Miami Heat on November 22 2006.

Maybe one can add the Phoenix percentages from here:
http://www.answers.com/topic/phoenix-suns

Last edited:

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
Whether it has weight or not, the truth is out there. All it takes is one mind to investigate then propagate their findings. I for one would love to have a beer with a true blue Suns fan. As long as you can talk about the game, how it's played, what adjustments are needed et al. If it's all this hypertension, then it's not worth it. My father was career military and what those guys do...that is where the real tension is. And I'm thankful that they do it there, so guys like me and you can watch the game and talk about it on boards like this one.

Being a PHX native and rooting for the Suns and Cards us fans are ready for a championship, You see how crazy it got when the Dbacks brought PHX our first. At games im usually a very cool guy that doesnt drink and just loves to talk to other teams fans, Even if we lose I will stand up and shake your hand and tell you that your team was better today.......:biglaugh: Yeah right.. Ill beat your ass half drunk.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I would like to know why any suns fan is actually responding to this thread??

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score
Being a PHX native and rooting for the Suns and Cards us fans are ready for a championship, You see how crazy it got when the Dbacks brought PHX our first. At games im usually a very cool guy that doesnt drink and just loves to talk to other teams fans, Even if we lose I will stand up and shake your hand and tell you that your team was better today.......:biglaugh: Yeah right.. Ill beat your ass half drunk.

First we knock you down with a spinning back kick and then we press charges for attempted assault and criminal mischief and tack on drunk and disorderly conduct. The hand shake would result in a more civil situation.