What The Cardinals Should Counter With

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Year 1: $10M ($6M guaranteed), plus $2M Super Bowl incentive.

Year 2: $13M ($4M guaranteed), plus $2M Super Bowl incentive. The $13M gets reduced to $11M if Boldin is re-signed.

Why it works for Warner: $14M is pretty much guaranteed and there is a carry over into year two. The total of the contract (with incentives) = $27M, net $25M if Boldin is re-signed.

Why it works for the Cardinals: They can save on this year's cap and next year is a cap free year. If they want to buy Warner out at that point it will cost $4M...which, in essence means he got paid $14M for one year. But, the Cardinals will be hoping that Warner remains sharp and healthy and gives the team the best chance to win a Super Bowl...which would warrant an $11M figure (assuming Boldin is re-signed ) to play in 2010.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I'd just tell him the deal comes off the table by Friday.

It's no use to make this drag out this long, just get it done or walk.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
Shzm i did NOT give you permission to use my avatar! ASFN bylaw 24 AC.32 is in effect. $20,000 A$FN now..

NuttinButTDs

Registered
Reaction score
Year 1: $10M ($6M guaranteed), plus $2M Super Bowl incentive.

Year 2: $13M ($4M guaranteed), plus $2M Super Bowl incentive. The $13M gets reduced to $11M if Boldin is re-signed.

Why it works for Warner: $14M is pretty much guaranteed and there is a carry over into year two. The total of the contract (with incentives) = $27M, net $25M if Boldin is re-signed.

Why it works for the Cardinals: They can save on this year's cap and next year is a cap free year. If they want to buy Warner out at that point it will cost $4M...which, in essence means he got paid $14M for one year. But, the Cardinals will be hoping that Warner remains sharp and healthy and gives the team the best chance to win a Super Bowl...which would warrant an $11M figure (assuming Boldin is re-signed ) to play in 2010.

So you want to pay Warner 4M + 9M salary for the first year. The first year salary is guaranteed as you will never cut a player after signing a new contract. Add 4M for the second year. In effect, you are paying him 17M for the first year, if you cut him in the second year. Thats real dollars though 4M may count against the cap in Year 2. Do you really think 17M is fair market value for a one year contract.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
So you want to pay Warner 4M + 9M salary for the first year. The first year salary is guaranteed as you will never cut a player after signing a new contract. Add 4M for the second year. In effect, you are paying him 17M for the first year, if you cut him in the second year. Thats real dollars though 4M may count against the cap in Year 2. Do you really think 17M is fair market value for a one year contract.

Did you read the math? $10M for year one. $4M guaranteed for year 2.