What the mav's fans have to say about us

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
its quite interesting how much attention they pay to us, being the best team in the nba (which they are).heres some funny quotes taken from their forums

Thread name: 10 reasons i hate the suns.

seriously.

"Let's use this thread to let out every thing we hate about the Suns.

I hate D'antoni's mustache.

I hate Marion's release on his jump shot.

I hate Nash's hair in this "in between "alfalfa" phase"

I hate Raja Bell

I hate that Nash has 2 MVPs

I hate that PHX gets all the love even though we've beaten them twice this season and in the WCF last year.

I hate Boris Diaw

I hate the orange jerseys

I hate how every phx games comes with an amare comeback story

I hate phoenix's schedule so far

etc etc.

Go for it guys."

"I hate how Marion shoots

I hate Raja Bell's smirk

I hate Amare's arrogance

I hate that Nash is no longer a Mav

I hate that I have to root against Nash

I hate how D'Antoni always whines

I hate how the experts all fall in love with the Suns

I hate the Suns name

I hate the Suns"

"I hate how much media love the Suns get

I hate how there seems to be a double standard in regards to the MVP race that applies to Dirks deep team but not Steves great team with two other all stars.

I hate how easy a schedule they have had.

I hate how lucky the Suns have been.

I hate D'Antoni's face... seriously everytime he yells his squinty little eyes anyone the hell out of me."

"Ahem...I think my number has been called. Drum roll please.
I hate the Suns. I hate their name, Suns. Why not call them what they really are? The "Phoenix - Media Darlings" or the "Phoenix - Anything to take our mind off the Cardinals".
I hate how they have a direct link between ESPN and their collective penis.
I hate the heat in Phoenix. I hate how people say, "You don't notice it, because it's a dry heat" I hate that everyone there is a "dry stupid"
I hate the way their mascot is a gorilla. Was Chuck-e-Cheese busy? He looks like he should be waving at traffic outside a vacuum cleaner hospital.
I hate Steve Nash. He took the money and ran, and ran, and ran, and ran out of energy every playoff. I hate how someone with such a one sided game can be MVP. I blame the exchange rate. 15 assists must be 30 points 10 rebounds and 3 steals Canadian.
I hate Amare Stodimre. I hate his nickname. STAT, must mean Some Teams Always Tank.
I hate The Matrix, What a great way too sell shoes. Lets nickname him after a Keanu Reeves movie. What, was "My Own Private Idaho" taken? Should have been called The Matrix Revolutions. (Worst sequel ever)
I hate Rajah Bell. I hate how he gets free Taco's for life. I hope he gets the trots for life.
I hate D'antoni. I hate his snarl every time he doesn't get a call. Looks like someone **** in his Cheerios. I hate how he took Nellie Ball and removed any resemblance of defense. He's done for basketball what pantyhose did for fingerbanging. Worked so great for Nellie. I hate how so many teams have been too stupid to figure it out.
I hate the Suns. I hate the Suns. I hate, Hate, HATE the Suns."

"
I hate how we let Raja Bell go
I hate how easy the Suns' schedule has been
I hate Marion's jumpshot
I hate rooting against Nash
I hate how Suns games entertain me
I hate D'Antoni's cockiness/cheesy moustache
I hate how Amare's considered an All-Star when all of his baskets are wide open dunks and layups because of Nash's work
I hate how they don't play a lick of defense but stats say their D is actually awesome
I hate how inflated Nash's stats are because of the Suns' system
I hathe how Nash picked NOW to peak"

very amusing :D

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score
Fairly easy to psychoanalyze, I think. Simply replace the word "hate" with "envy".

Their love of Dirk is overshadowed by overwhelming feelings of remorse and resentment over losing (rather, giving away) a player they secretly admire even more, Steve Nash. They love watching the Suns play but cannot acknowledge this to themselves, lest they start rooting for the wrong team. They have the best team on paper but know in the back of their minds they are second-best, if that. They realize that there is something special about the Suns, almost magical, but even as they are drawn into the spell they experience simultaneous feelings of revulsion, knowing that this is the team that will rob them of their trophy.

All of these feelings they repress and sublimate until the jealousy mutates into anger, then rage. They are obsessed with the Suns while Suns fans are only marginally interested in the Mavericks. Indeed Suns fans respect the Mavericks as a worthy adversary, one which nevertheless will be dispatched on the road to the title.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
its quite interesting how much attention they pay to us, being the best team in the nba (which they are).heres some funny quotes taken from their forums

Thread name: 10 reasons i hate the suns.

seriously.

"Let's use this thread to let out every thing we hate about the Suns.

I hate D'antoni's mustache.

I hate Marion's release on his jump shot.

I hate Nash's hair in this "in between "alfalfa" phase"

I hate Raja Bell

I hate that Nash has 2 MVPs

I hate that PHX gets all the love even though we've beaten them twice this season and in the WCF last year.

I hate Boris Diaw

I hate the orange jerseys

I hate how every phx games comes with an amare comeback story

I hate phoenix's schedule so far

etc etc.

Go for it guys."

"I hate how Marion shoots

I hate Raja Bell's smirk

I hate Amare's arrogance

I hate that Nash is no longer a Mav

I hate that I have to root against Nash

I hate how D'Antoni always whines

I hate how the experts all fall in love with the Suns

I hate the Suns name

I hate the Suns"

"I hate how much media love the Suns get

I hate how there seems to be a double standard in regards to the MVP race that applies to Dirks deep team but not Steves great team with two other all stars.

I hate how easy a schedule they have had.

I hate how lucky the Suns have been.

I hate D'Antoni's face... seriously everytime he yells his squinty little eyes anyone the hell out of me."

"Ahem...I think my number has been called. Drum roll please.
I hate the Suns. I hate their name, Suns. Why not call them what they really are? The "Phoenix - Media Darlings" or the "Phoenix - Anything to take our mind off the Cardinals".
I hate how they have a direct link between ESPN and their collective penis.
I hate the heat in Phoenix. I hate how people say, "You don't notice it, because it's a dry heat" I hate that everyone there is a "dry stupid"
I hate the way their mascot is a gorilla. Was Chuck-e-Cheese busy? He looks like he should be waving at traffic outside a vacuum cleaner hospital.
I hate Steve Nash. He took the money and ran, and ran, and ran, and ran out of energy every playoff. I hate how someone with such a one sided game can be MVP. I blame the exchange rate. 15 assists must be 30 points 10 rebounds and 3 steals Canadian.
I hate Amare Stodimre. I hate his nickname. STAT, must mean Some Teams Always Tank.
I hate The Matrix, What a great way too sell shoes. Lets nickname him after a Keanu Reeves movie. What, was "My Own Private Idaho" taken? Should have been called The Matrix Revolutions. (Worst sequel ever)
I hate Rajah Bell. I hate how he gets free Taco's for life. I hope he gets the trots for life.
I hate D'antoni. I hate his snarl every time he doesn't get a call. Looks like someone **** in his Cheerios. I hate how he took Nellie Ball and removed any resemblance of defense. He's done for basketball what pantyhose did for fingerbanging. Worked so great for Nellie. I hate how so many teams have been too stupid to figure it out.
I hate the Suns. I hate the Suns. I hate, Hate, HATE the Suns."

"
I hate how we let Raja Bell go
I hate how easy the Suns' schedule has been
I hate Marion's jumpshot
I hate rooting against Nash
I hate how Suns games entertain me
I hate D'Antoni's cockiness/cheesy moustache
I hate how Amare's considered an All-Star when all of his baskets are wide open dunks and layups because of Nash's work
I hate how they don't play a lick of defense but stats say their D is actually awesome
I hate how inflated Nash's stats are because of the Suns' system
I hathe how Nash picked NOW to peak"

very amusing :D
that's a whole lot of posting for someone being critical of mavs fans. Looks like someone never heard the pointing fingers cliche'

OP
OP
arwillan

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
i could give you a link but you have to register to see anything. dallas-mavs.com is the site.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
i could give you a link but you have to register to see anything. dallas-mavs.com is the site.
I'm sure mavs fans are talking. Most of them know that the suns are a great team.......whether they say it in those words....that's a different story.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only problem I have with Mavs fans is a short memory. Based on what I've read at dallas-mavs.com, they pretend like Dallas' visit to the Finals last year somehow vilifies them, but the Suns two trips to the Finals shows weakness in the organization. Of course, that's 0-for-3, if you're counting at home.

I find their attacks on the Suns' style laughable. These were the same fans who had backed up like the last stand at the Alamo to defend high-scoring basketball, and now, with 1.5 years of success as a defensive team, they are connoisseurs of all things defense? They are a strong defensive team, but it is still a far cry from the recent Pistons' run. They still require scoring a good amount of points to win, and if they intend on beating a team like Miami in the Finals, they would do well to heed to a much faster pace.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The only problem I have with Mavs fans is a short memory. Based on what I've read at dallas-mavs.com, they pretend like Dallas' visit to the Finals last year somehow vilifies them, but the Suns two trips to the Finals shows weakness in the organization. Of course, that's 0-for-3, if you're counting at home.

I find their attacks on the Suns' style laughable. These were the same fans who had backed up like the last stand at the Alamo to defend high-scoring basketball, and now, with 1.5 years of success as a defensive team, they are connoisseurs of all things defense? They are a strong defensive team, but it is still a far cry from the recent Pistons' run. They still require scoring a good amount of points to win, and if they intend on beating a team like Miami in the Finals, they would do well to heed to a much faster pace.
a couple of things. The mavs tried so hard to win a title with that style and it failed time after time. They got about as close as the suns have got recently and that was the WC Finals against the spurs. So mavs fans know first hand that you can win in the regular season against most teams with offense, but in the playoffs you will run into a team that gets it done at both ends better than you do. for the mavs, that was the spurs. That's why mavs fans have realized how defense is so important. It beat the spurs and the suns last year. The mavs scoring is actually down this year it seems. It's right at 100. The last game against the T-wolves the mavs went scoreless down the stretch from the field, but came up with defensive plays to hold off the t-wolves 94-93. The mavs of old would have never won such a game. especially trying to defend garnett. and the alamo?? I know that's a texas thing. But when it comes to mavs/spurs.....the mavs want know part of that dirty old shack.
I will say that the suns offense is better than that of the mavs was when nash was there, mainly because of amare.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say that the suns offense is better than that of the mavs was when nash was there, mainly because of amare.

I think that's the point lost on Mavs fans. They never had an inside presence like Amare.

The real question is whether or not Amare will become a force again against better frontlines. I think he answered some of those questions against Tim Duncan the other night, but Kevin Garnett (who Amare used to go off on previously) made him pretty miserable a couple of nights before.

Amare seems inspired by the playoffs, so perhaps we'll see some of that explosive muscle on a game-to-game basis then. Without him, the Suns really are just another weak-ass run-and-gun team.

greensborohill

Registered
Reaction score
yep

Here is an email I sent my friend in response to this question from him:

Why such anomosity b/w Suns fans and Mavs fans. Can't Dalls fans just be happy with having the best record in the NBA? If Dallas is so much better, why are there fans so damn jealous of Nash and the Suns?

I'll tell you exactly what it is as long as you don't purposley try to get me rilled up.
From 2002 until last year up until beating the Spurs in the playoffs, all you heard was that the Run & Gun wouldn't work, and that Dallas was all O & no D and they had no chance of winning it all, it took a few years and a complete change of philosiphy to get rid of that stigma. Everyone, TNT, ESPN, everybody in sports was with the notion that "that's great regular season basketball but it won't work in the playoffs).
Now, just as the Mavs peek as a team (and this is the peek, I don't see them getting any better unless they ass a piece or unless Devin Harris improves), here comes these mother f***ing Suns playing basically the same style of game. . . And all of a sudden the "yeah, but" is taken out of the equation for them. Nash is a media darling, Legler is a Suns ***********, Walton is a Nash ***********, and the Mavs still are an after thought. . . It's an inferiority complex for sure, but that doesn't mean it isn't warranted. All of a sudden they do the same things the Don Nelson led Mavericks did for 4 to 5 years. . . . And they get none of the ridicule for it. Nash gets MVP's despite playing along side two perinial all-stars and three other guys how would be close to averaging 20 on almost any other team. . . But Dirk gets no love. . . . Which would be fine if Dallas would atleast get another all-star for having the best record in the NBA. . But no Josh Howard. . . One or the other has to happen. . . Either Dirk is MVP for playing with no other all-star, or Josh Howard needs to be on that team. . . Hell, I'd even say the Mavs deserve both.
End rant here. . . I could go on for hours.

That's it in a nut shell.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here think Josh Howard SHOULDN'T be on the All Star team? I think the regulars agree. He deserves to be there as much as Marion. But it's not the Suns fault. Blame the voters for putting together the all-endorsement starting lineup. The coaches have to make up for the fans. Nash and Dirk should starters, Amare, Marion, and Howard should be reserves.

greensborohill

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone here think Josh Howard SHOULDN'T be on the All Star team? I think the regulars agree. He deserves to be there as much as Marion. But it's not the Suns fault. Blame the voters for putting together the all-endorsement starting lineup. The coaches have to make up for the fans. Nash and Dirk should starters, Amare, Marion, and Howard should be reserves.

That's the point of the entire arguement. . it's not the Suns fault, it's the media (not for reserve voting but in hype overall). The media has made Mavs fans hate the Suns. . . you guys are getting all the accolades for stuff we did years ago and got ripped for.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the point of the entire arguement. . it's not the Suns fault, it's the media (not for reserve voting but in hype overall). The media has made Mavs fans hate the Suns. . . you guys are getting all the accolades for stuff we did years ago and got ripped for.

I hear what your saying but I have also dissagreed that that Mavs old RNG teams were anywhere near as fun and as good as this Suns team. The big difference is the Suns up until last year got much further then Mavs ever could with those old teams. The old Mavs teams that were ripped for playing ZERO defense. The Suns are at least competant in defense and are towards the top in defensive diferential. Those old MAVS teams were not.

Again, I hear what your saying but I think this has more to do with Mavs fans not wanting to share the spotlight. I watch all the NBA shows and ESPN. The Mavs are gettin positive run on every sports station. They are getting the recognition. I just think many Mavs fans can't stand another team being recognized as well.

JH deserves to be there. However, every single year someone is left off. I don't think JH deserves to be there over Marion but maybe I am biased.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
you guys are getting all the accolades for stuff we did years ago and got ripped for.

That may be the perception of Maverick fans, but it's inaccurate. First of all, plenty of media are still down on the Suns. For every accolade, there's a naysayer parroting the tired old "Defense wins championships" rant. But secondly, the current Suns are better at what they do than the Mavericks were a few years ago. Nash (and Nowitzki) have elevated their games since the split, and the Mavericks haven't had anyone like Stoudemire. Not all high-scoring teams are created equal.

Finally, did the Nash-led Mavericks ever make the WCF in two consecutive years? I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just don't see how you compare these Suns with the old Mavs. As I recall they had no inside presence whatsoever, Dirk's game was far below what it is now and their scoring wasn't as effective as the Suns of today. They were however an entertaining team to watch and I'll admit I loved watching them. They played absolutely no defense though (believe me I'm not defending the Suns D either, they're pretty bad at times) and I think one of the biggest reasons they didn't receive the recognition you would have liked is because the league was different then. Remember the Shaq and Kobe Lakers teams were absolutely dominant and to be considered an elite team you had to be able to compete and beat them. They were the standard and I'm not convinced these Suns would have beaten them. Today there is no dominant team, with a dominant force, hence the reason it's Dallas and Phoenix competing for top-dog recognition

OP
OP
arwillan

arwillan

The King
Reaction score

Well you did it years ago but not as well as we do it now. In my mind the league can be devided into groups- The suns and mavs are way out in front apart from the group. behind that are teams like san antonio, maybe denver, detroit etc.. No matter which way you spin it the suns and the mavs are the two best teams in the league.

If im being honest, i feel the suns have a better offense and more talent but Dallas IS the better team. The main problems the suns have is they cant execute down the stretch and rely too much on offense. The mavs on the other hand play better defense but their offense isnt quite as strong. What they have that we dont (at leasy right now) is chemistry and execution. For some reason, the suns just cant get it together when it counts. Remember in last years playoffs we played the mavs and blew two leads in the 2nd half during games 5 and 6. If we would have EXECUTED we could have kept the leads and advanced to the finals.

Another postive thing i can say about the mavs, they were the better team in the finals last year, they just let it slip away.

greensborohill

Registered
Reaction score
I don't disagree with anything said about the Suns being better than the 02/03 Mavs. . I'm just answering the question "why do Mavs fans resent the Suns?"

I'm interested to see what happens w/ Denver tonight. Denver is one of those teams that can hang offensivley w/ the Suns but prob. can't defend what the Suns do.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
You won't get any arguement from me that the suns aren't better than the 03 dallas team. That was the best mavs nash-led team. That team won 60 games, but had a horrid record against the top dogs in the WC. Mainly because they couldn't finish games against those teams....they didn't get stops and they settled for tough jump shots. Amare is the biggest difference. Let's go back two years. Even with amare tearing it up in the playoffs the suns had some problems. With a dallas team that had chemistry issues in the playoffs.....the suns still almost had to play a 7th game. Amare then tore up Tim Duncan and the spurs, but the suns still lost in 5 games......as they were outscored by the spurs. Now how much more can you ask from an offense? That suns team had it all. I agree with what one poster was talking about with amare. Often it seems like the suns forget about him and settle for outside shots. Teams like dallas are going to try to slow the game way down and play halfcourt. Almost always in the 4th qtr the mavs try and run the shot clock down against everyone they face. If those teams can defend the pick and roll.....that's when the suns live and die with jump shots.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One of the odd things abut perception is that it doesn't always fit the facts. The 02-03 Mavs were not the disaster on defense. Check their stats: http://www.basketballreference.com/teams/teamyear.htm?tm=DAL&lg=n&yr=2002

First, they held their opponents to 43.8% from the field and just 34% for three while outscoring opponents 103.0 to 95.2. They 449 blocks and 665 steals. However, their rebounding was Suns like in that they were outrebounded by 3 rpg.

Oddly enough, their real weakness was on offense. They shot a hardly overwhelming 45.3% but a very good 38.1% for three. They lacked a low post threat and made several bad moves in the off season in trying to cure their problem. Still, they went to the WCF where they lost after Dirk got injured.

This year's Maverick team has a reputation for being a great defensive team, yet opponents shoot 45.2%. Their point differential is lower than the 02-03. This year the Mavs have the 9th best record on opponent's shooting percentage; the Suns have the 12th best.

IMHO, their reputation for being a very good defensive team is more a function of rebounding than anything else. Clearly the Suns struggled on rebounding, but this is slightly distorted. The Suns do not create as many offensive rebounding opportunities because they shoot long and hit a high percentage of their shots. At the same time, the Suns players leak out for fast breaks.

IMHO, the Suns can become a better rebounding team, but it will take really focusing on chasing loose balls.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I don't think either team should be heavily favored over the other at the moment. all that matters is the playoffs. There are many that like the suns nationally and took notice when the suns won 17 in a row. But mavs fans should remember that their team still has a slight lead and still has many so called experts calling them the best as well. Maybe we'll see if miami can make a run in the east now that shaq is back. They have started to pick it up over the last week.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05