What To Do About Shawn

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Marion + ATL '08 to CHI for Ben Wallace + Sefaolsha

Wallace can alley oop just as much as marion does, but now we have a dominant inside presence on defense. He would easily get 8-10ppg, 2+ bpg and 12+ rpg with our team. Marion's loss of points will easily be made up by ben/amare/diaw. A couple months of training with our shooting coaches and he would be 65% from the line and could add a nice 10-12 foot shot. Amare and Ben in the paint at the same time and nobody would get a shot off within 10 feet of the basket. Swaterriffic!

Nash
Bell
Hill
Amare
Wallace

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Marion is clearly a "half empty/half full guy". He's not a shooter and does a poor job taking guys off the dribble. On the other hand, he's amazing in the open court at finishing at top speed, is very effective as a cutter, and extraordinary at put backs. He's underrated in terms of making short range jumpers, but doesn't do it enough to make a splash.

IMHO, the Suns should focus on making better use of what Marion does well and limit the extent he tries to do things he doesn't do well such as shoot threes.

BTW, Marion's problem in taking guys off the dribble is not that he cannot do it, but that he is not willing to force contact (which is a similar issue for Diaw). This is a temperment issue and probably not something that can be changed although I hope that Hill will set an example for how useful being a strong finisher can be.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Marion is clearly a "half empty/half full guy". He's not a shooter and does a poor job taking guys off the dribble. On the other hand, he's amazing in the open court at finishing at top speed, is very effective as a cutter, and extraordinary at put backs. He's underrated in terms of making short range jumpers, but doesn't do it enough to make a splash.

IMHO, the Suns should focus on making better use of what Marion does well and limit the extent he tries to do things he doesn't do well such as shoot threes.

BTW, Marion's problem in taking guys off the dribble is not that he cannot do it, but that he is not willing to force contact (which is a similar issue for Diaw). This is a temperment issue and probably not something that can be changed although I hope that Hill will set an example for how useful being a strong finisher can be.

The suns need to get someone like that, one who can take someone off the dribble. its always nash dishin out. sum1 else needs to back him up on the court instead of off the bench. they need sum1 who can play some d and average more than 15 pts. against parker.

Hugh D'Man

Veteran
Reaction score
Frankly, its getting close to deal time for Shawnnie. He has a decision to make next yr...I think Phnx has already made there's. They will not dangle an offer that is substantial enough to void his 17 mill option. They then will be looking for compensation rather than losing him for nada. Meanwhile , MaidMarion will pout and cry disrespect (assumption), then claim he understands 'its a business'. If another squad is willing to commit 30 mill to Marion, then perhaps a sign and trade will be fashioned. But yall are crazy to think he won't be looking. We just have too much hay committed to Nash, Amare, Barbo, and Boris. And with the past financial follies, I think the FOffice/owners would gladly welcome his departure more so than the coaches and fans.

with that in mind, I think it would it be safe to say that Marion IS in fact on the market...he is not an untouchable..... Kerr doesn't hang up the phone when another GM is calling about Marion (and few calls they must be) . For it is a given, something will have to be done. With the addition of Hill, and the hopeful reimmergance from Diaw....Marion's minutes should diminish, though he will remain a vital cog.

I 'm betting a messy divorce is on the horizon.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
They then will be looking for compensation rather than losing him for nada.

The Suns are so paralyzed by their salary structure that they wouldn't want a large contract back for Marion. They'd probably be excited to get a prospect from a team with cap space, but good luck finding a partner for that deal. Their "compensation" if Marion leaves would be maybe getting to use some draft picks or the MLE for a change.

Marion already turned down an extension from a new team last summer -- a pretty good one from the Celtics, according to reports. So he's apparently decided to hold out hope that the Suns will give him his next big contract. That means playing out these two years and taking his chances in 2009.

Who knows, if Stoudemire falls apart again, Diaw re-emerges as a gimmick center, and the organization is satisfied after two more years of 50-and-fade, Marion's gamble may pay off. After all, there would be no reason to retool that juggernaut of a team, right?

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What was the official extension offer by the celtics?

4 for 40 Million would be ideal for the Suns.
4 for 60 Million would be Marion and his agent's ideal range.

What about another team?

4 for 48 Million?

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
I think they would only do a 2 year extension, max 3 but that is pushing it.

The most I would do is 2 years 25 million, 12 and 13 million per year. That to me is actually still overpaying but at least we are shredding off 4 million of that 16-17 million.

Get rid of banks somehow and then we have cap room next year.

Some people feel hopeless this year, but the next year look on hoopshype at the spurs salary structure, and take into account that marion will either bolt or get a money saving extension.

It sucks since we might have to wait yet ANOTHER year but at least after this next season there could still be hope.