What USA Team Has Shown of the D'Antoni System

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Tonight's game against Argentina promises to be the most interesting game of the FIBA America's Tournment. Most important, it will be the first real test of this year's version of the D'Antoni offense

After last year's fiasco, the USA team looks far more effective this year. Granted, most of the teams are simply overwhelmed physically, but in the past teams were often able to stay competative for a while. Only Mexico kept it moderately close in the first half and they lost by 27.

One obvious factor is that this year's team has more shooters. The result is that opponents are not able to simply pack the paint like they did in Japan. However, in watching this team, it is clear that the outside shooting is not just a tool for itself, it is a also a way to create openings for getting to the basket. This is pretty effective when you have Carmelo, LeBron, and Kobe finishing at the basket.

Opening up the lane has made it easy for Amare to dominate, shooting 70% from the field against teams playing zone. But with shooters like Redd, Miller, and Kobe; it is hard to have enough guys back to deal with Amare's speed and power.

The odd part of this is that the USA team rarely if ever runs the pick and roll. Much of what they do is drive and kick or drive and dump to cutters. Against spread out defenses, this has been almost impossible to stop.

Mexico came out with a pressure trapping defense that seemed to disrupt the USA team for a while (outscroing the USA in the second quarter). But the USA made some half time adjustments and Mexico could not keep the pressure up.

Seeing the D'Antoni system with the optimal collection of players is interesting. It has similarity to the Suns, but is also pretty different. (I'm only focusing on offense, because MacMillian is running the defense.)

SIMILARITIES:

1. Push all the time. Last year's USA team ran, but was not geared to breaking off made baskets while this year's team does. They are getting shots far quicker than last year.

2. Shoot the ball. This year's team has some great outside shooters and they have a green light to shoot. Last year's team did not shoot well.

3. Spread the floor. This year's team is using guys like Carmelo and LeBron at power forward. These guys are pretty good sized, but have SF skills which mean opponents cannot just sit in their zone.

4. Team Play: Not everybody is bought in, but for the most part these guys are moving the ball and hitting cutters rather than being concerned about hitting their own shot.

DIFFERENCES

1. Team USA has some very good point guards, but their offense is not as PG dependent as the Suns.

2. USA is far more agressive at attacking the basket. Obviously with guys like LeBron and Carmlo it is to be expected, but there seems to be a greater emphasis on exploiting the spread out defenses than the Suns do.

3 More drive and kick by USA and less pick plays.

4. More layups and fewer three point shots off the break.

My expectation is that the Suns offense will look a bit more like the USA approach due to the addition of Hill, but will not lose its Nash flavor.

fordronken

Reaction score
The really great thing about this team is its ability to run short rotations. A fast paced team with a 12 player rotation means that guys can play all out, all the time. Offense and defense.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The really great thing about this team is its ability to run short rotations. A fast paced team with a 12 player rotation means that guys can play all out, all the time. Offense and defense.

It would be great if the Suns leanred to do that. Small ball requires expending a lot of energy and critics are on target when saying that seven guys cannot play flat out for 48 minutes.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
The biggest similarity I have noticed is Team USA taking the ball out of the hoop and running right back on the offensive end after they've given up a hoop. For some reason, it seems to catch a lot of these teams off guard.

LavaLamp2

Registered
Reaction score
My expectation is that the Suns offense will look a bit more like the USA approach due to the addition of Hill, but will not lose its Nash flavor.

That would be good. The Suns offense in the 2007 playoff games against the Spurs seemed predictable and already "figured out" by the Spurs defense.

LavaLamp2

Registered
Reaction score
The biggest similarity I have noticed is Team USA taking the ball out of the hoop and running right back on the offensive end after they've given up a hoop. For some reason, it seems to catch a lot of these teams off guard.

And all this time, I thought small ball was more widely practiced internationally.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And all this time, I thought small ball was more widely practiced internationally.

Not at all. If anything, international rules make it feasible to play really big, slow guys in the middle of a zone. D'Antoni's system was considered revolutionary when he used it in Italy.

Reaction score
Look at who us is goin up against. Not many, if any, really have an inside presence that can stop the players from attacking the basket. Bill Walton summed it all up when he was commentating on the us vs. puerto rico as lebron slashed by saying "Uh Oh!"

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Look at who us is goin up against. Not many, if any, really have an inside presence that can stop the players from attacking the basket. Bill Walton summed it all up when he was commentating on the us vs. puerto rico as lebron slashed by saying "Uh Oh!"

It will be different at the Olympics. That's why learning to pass more is going to be a big priority.