what would you have done differently in the cards offseason?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I guess the only thing I would have changed is looking at the cap space we still got I would have thrown more money at Hartwell becuase I have 0 faith in Hayes if the one game he started last year is any indication. And I would have thrown more money at Mili. Other then that I wouldnt change a thing.

What's up with Hayes? When he started the last few games in '03 he looked great then last year basically didn't do much of anything.

I wonder if he is out of position at MLB and better suited to the outside?

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Don't forget about the changes in the coaching staff. I'm hoping that Rowen will finally be the answer for the offense. The Cards need an OC to stick around for a few years so they can get some continuity going.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not gained 10 pounds?

I would've as I said repeatedly tried to pick up a veteran CB to help while Rolle and Green transition into the NFL. I would also have picked up a veteran OL with some versatility knowing that I had no intention of keeping Shelton.

But overally I'm pretty happy with the offseason, I think the draft this year was a lot riskier than last year, we took several gambles, guys with talent who dropped, was the rest of the NFL wrong or were we wrong, that'll probably take a few years to determine.We have the potential for several steals, but we also have the potential for some "I told you so's" if guys like Brown and Green don't pan out.But I guess if you take a 2nd round grade player lower than the 2nd round, and he doesn't make it, that's not bad because you didn't reach to pick him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sundevil81 said:
i love the idea of going after the G from pitt but at cb you would have macklin, rolle, law and mcquarters? who would agree to play the dime slot out of those four?

The worst of the 4? or was that a trick question?

Denny Green is all about competition, if someone wants a guarantee they won't be the dime CB, there's only one way under Green, outplay the other guy.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
their is a te in nfl europe by name of radar. he played at marshall in college. i watched him play in college and he look pretty good. he is more of a recieving te than a run blocker. i say the cardinals should give him a try out.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I would have grabbed a veteran TE as a stop gap for this year until we can draft a good one next year.

Also, I have doubts about starting a rookie at CB. However, Rolle was the number 1 rated CB who went against the best competition in college so that makes me feel a little better. Other rookie CBs were thrown into the fire and did alright on other teams.

I'm glad they didn't trade for Henry. IT all worked out by us getting JJ, who is a better prospect than Henry was and may end up being the most underated player drafted.

I think we will take a big step this year, but I think next year will be the year we really make some serious noise, as long as Warner can show us something and we can resign him.

roland77

Rookie
Reaction score
what would you have done differently in the cards offseason?

I would have made the new authentic jerseys available for sale upon unveiling them, instead of making loyal fans wait months to get one!

:computer:

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I'd have:
~Retained LJ Shelton
~Made an effort to get McQuarters
~Made an effort to get Ross' teammate from Pittsburgh...the guard (I forget his name at the moment).
~I'd also take a chance on Ty Law. Yeah, he may not be healthy, but it's a good gamble, I think. If we wait until he proves he can play, then there's going to be a bidding war.

I probably would have drafted differently, too. But, it's hard to say where the differences would have been. I probably wouldn't have taken Arrington but rather gone with a RB in the 3rd or 4th. I'm certainly not complaining about the draft, though--I would have done it different, but not necissarily better.

The guard is Keydrick Vincent who outplayed Ross nearly every down.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sundevil81 said:
at cb you would have macklin, rolle, law and mcquarters? who would agree to play the dime slot out of those four?
If we had signed McQ I wouldn't have tried to sign Law. But, since we didn't (and we're still in the off-season), my next move would be to get Law.

So, your top-3 CBs would have been be either Rolle, McQ and Macklin or Rolle, Law and Macklin.

But now, we have a decent (but hardly a "shut-down") guy in Macklin and two unproven rookies (who may well turn out to be the starters at CB for years to come buut could also turn out to be huge busts...we just don't know). I think our biggest question mark headed into the season is the CB position.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az jam said:
Only need IMO was/is an experienced TE.
I think we'll be fine at TE. In fact, I think we'll end the season finding we have a couple of TEs that are starting material.

seesred

Reaction score
Aeneas Williams started out the same way Rolle will. I wouldn';t have changed him at starting opposite Macklin, I would have tried harder to sign a guy with expoierance like Mcq to back up and teach if the price was right. That's the key even though you can waive them at anytime there is a signing bonus most of the time and cap to think about.

I think out oif the four or five guys we have in camp to play TE that will work itself out. Here again the price is steep for a proven vet. We had to let Freddie go he didn't play well , and at the time we thought he was our answer to TE for the next six years. Not even close.

I would not have our home game played in Mexico that being said I understand from managments point of view why it's happening.

Heck this off season was almost perfect. Now let us see if it has anything to do about getting better on Sundays.

GBR
In Green we trust

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seesred said:
Aeneas Williams started out the same way Rolle will. I wouldn';t have changed him at starting opposite Macklin, I would have tried harder to sign a guy with expoierance like Mcq to back up and teach if the price was right. That's the key even though you can waive them at anytime there is a signing bonus most of the time and cap to think about.

GBR
In Green we trust

Well not all first rounders at CB wind up like Aeneas(who wasn't a first rounder himself) so that doesn't mean Rolle will be that good. We all hope he will and he certainly has talent, but he's playing a completely new defensive concept for him, he's a guy who's always been really physical in press coverage, we're not asking him to do that and NFL refs won't let him do that.

So I think it's entirely likely he's going to have an adjustment period, doesn't mean I think he'll be a bust, just that the press coverage stuff is precisely why I've maintained all along he'll be a better safety than CB in the NFL. Until the NFL tells the refs to stop calling PI and holding like they did last year, Rolle is going to have to learn his position all over again, that's not easy to do and it'll take him time.

We can keep saying we got by with Hill and Starks last year so Rolle will be fine, but both those guys had played in the NFL before and enough that although Rolle is more talented than either guy, he's not nearly as NFL ready as they were.

I don't think Rolle is going to cost us a bunch of games, but I do wish we had a more experienced CB on the roster to help us while Rolle learns the ropes.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do wish we had a more experienced CB on the roster to help us while Rolle learns the ropes.
Tito Paul may be available...

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Cardsmasochist said:
I would have taken Ardian McPherson in the 4th round (or the 5th if he was still available)
That would of made it a perfect offseason

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan