What's Next?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The jury is still out on the Q for KT deal, but there is little doubt it will mean a major change in the Suns off season plans in both the draft and the free agent market.

IMHO, the Suns will go for the BPA in the draft. Prior to getting KT I would have expected the Suns to focus on drafting a big man who could play. That would be a good thing anyway, but they are in a much stronger position to take a wing or a PG if they like who is available. I could also see them trading down to get an extra pick since the pool of #20 to #40 does not have a huge drop in talent once you start focusing on bench players.

I imagine the Suns will look at an MLE free agent that could produce right away and yet might accept a three year deal. With Q gone, Donyell Marshall becomes much a much more reasonable possiblity.

Last season Marshall finished 11th in three point shooting percetage with 41.6% for three and 13th in terms of three pointers made. Marshall is not a one time wonder, since his three point shooting has been good for several years which has gotten better as he goes.

2004-05 41.6%
2003-04 40.3%
2002-03 37.9%

Marshall is also a good rebounder, averaging .26 per minute this year, .27 per minute 2003-04, and 25.8 per minute for his career. At 6'9" 230 he is big enough to play inside and yet has played most of his career on the wing.

I'm not sure Marshall would want to play in Phoenix if Q was on the team playing 35 minutes a game, but this team could look very attractive to him now.

The Suns had a reputation for being terribly athletic, but Q's role was as a trailer who would catch and shoot on a kick out. I think Marshall would be perfect in that role alternating with Jimmy Jackson (another guy with top ten three point shooting percentage last season).

LLE - My first guess is that Hunter will end up signing for the $1.7 when he finds that he's not as hot as he thinks he is. If not, I would not be surprised if the Suns picked up another wing unless they draft one. Ideally, they would find a guy who is quick enough to defense the perimeter without being a total loss on offense.

One option I presented before which might work with the lower level exemption would be Dikembe Mutombo. Everyone is convinced he is "too old", but last year he ranked 5th in rebounds per minute and 6th in blocks per minute.

Obviously adding Marshall and Mutombo to KT would make the Suns one of the older teams in the NBA, but they are the kind of guys who can see their chances play on a world champion slipping away.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I'm the same person who didn't think that Q would be traded so soon, but here goes anyways. Hunter is not going to sign for the $1.7 million. Some team will give him more than that.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I know I'm the same person who didn't think that Q would be traded so soon, but here goes anyways. Hunter is not going to sign for the $1.7 million. Some team will give him more than that.

Joe Mama

He is certainly more expendible now.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I don't particularly like this deal because I'd trade Marion's contract first. But SF adn SG are the most easy positions to fill, so I'm OK with Kurt Thomas on board. However, I'm not sure he can handle TimDuncan as well as the Wallaces by the Pistons but he should be fine defending McDyce and Rasheed should we meet in the finals next year.

Anyway, for TD, Yao and Shaq, the best and cheapest solution is, despite his ages, still Mutombo. And Traylor's beef should be helpful too. I hope we could get them for 1.7mil and min respectively. With Marshall for the MLE, we could still play skill ball with Amare/Marshall/Marion/JJ/Nash.

A problem with Q gone is our parameter defense. Despite Joe's quality, Q was the better one to defend Manu between them and Marion. Marion at 3 likely will face the same problem he had before: biting on head fakes too much from the the quick swingmen like Manu and Hamilton, not strong enough against the bigger ones like Lewis and Anthony, or even Horry. Consequently, I'd really like to trade Marion say for Mason and Gadzuric and picks that we get at least another good defender against the quick parameter players. Maybe he can surprise me with some offseason work. As it stands now, if we can sign some min. players like Rush, Raja Bell, etc in addition we are ready to roll again.

asudevil83

Reaction score
i think it would be in the best interest of the suns to stockpile draft picks this year. with 4 max or near max contracts coming up, they are going to need to add as much cheap young talent as possible.....especially since they must have a 14 man rotation.

i've got a couple of suggestions:

1.) trade #21+Voskuhl to the Jazz for the #27+#34. i'm pretty sure that Diogu will be gone by the time the suns draft which is unfortunate. here, we would get 2 decent picks and the jazz would add a bench player that they might actually use and move up a couple of slots in the draft.

2.) trade Barbs+#57 to the Lakers for the #37+#39. with another 2 second rounders, the suns should be able to find a gem in the second round. the lakers get a backup PG/SG for Atkins and Kobe.

we'd have lots of possibilities here for drafting with 4 picks between 25-40.

PG -
Jarret Jack
Monta Ellis
Filiberto Rivera
Nate Robinson
Travis Diener

SG -
Rashad McCants
Julius Hodge
Luther Head
Salim Stoudamire
Kennedy Winston

SF -
Julius Hodge
Ryan Gomes
Angelo Gigli

PF -
Wayne Simien
Chris Taft
Martynas Andriuskevicius
Ronny Turiaf

C -
Johan Petro
Andray Blatche
Mile Llic
Randolph Morris

i think a few of these guys could make an immediate impact on this team. we wouldnt really have to worry much about our cap situation with decent second rounders rounding out our bench.

IF we could entice Marshall or someone like him to the team we'd be pretty set.

i know its a lot of unproven talent, but with the need to round out our roster with 14 guys, second rounders could end up being important and valuable.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I don't mind your first one, although it would have to be a draft day deal. I don't want the suns trading their pick prematurely because they don't think their guys will be there ----- especially after last season.

I don't think the last one is good at all though. I would almost certainly want Barbosa over the guys we would get with those second rounders.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
but with the need to round out our roster with 14 guys

I'm not sure what difference this makes. All it means is that 14 players have to be on the payroll, not that you have to have any plan of ever using them. It's perfectly easy to find some minimum-salary prospects who would be happy to travel with the team and cheer from the bench. You don't need extra draft picks for that. And if the extra draft picks can't play, they don't do you any more good than random undrafted scrubs anyway.

asudevil83

Reaction score
i think there are some interesting players available in the late 30's.

Salim would be a nice pickup as a backup SG. he's a pure shooter who would be a nice shot off the bench.

Randolph Morris would be a nice backup PF/C. i read that had he stayed in college, he'd be a lock to be a lotto pick next year.

Diener had a great workout in Chicago. he might be a solid pickup at the PG slot.

Nate Robinson reminds a lot of people of Boykins....a kind of guy that just causes problems everywhere. he's as quick as they come, and just plays with some fire. he'd be a fun guy.

Some of the other guys available are overseas projects, which isnt all that bad. we might luck out with something great in a couple of years.

nothin' but net

All Star
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I don't mind your first one, although it would have to be a draft day deal. I don't want the suns trading their pick prematurely because they don't think their guys will be there ----- especially after last season.

I don't think the last one is good at all though. I would almost certainly want Barbosa over the guys we would get with those second rounders.

I was just thinking that. In LB, we have a project with huge amounts of upside that we are 2 YEARS into already. I predict he blossoms next year. I don't think we could get anyone in the mid to late 30's pick that could improve on him.

cly2tw

Reaction score
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=384356

I like this one with a minor change, Grizz get Jake instead of JimJ and they also keep James Posey. If Dallas waived Finley to our favor ;) , we'd be able to win it all next year with this lineup alread, wihtout having used our exceptions yet. :thumbup:

Boston sends:

SG Paul Pierce

receives:

SF Shawn Marion

PG Marcus Banks
SG Ricky Davis
SF Shawn Marion
PF Al Jefferson
C Raef Lafrentz

bench: Delonte West, Tony Allen, Mark Blount, Kendrick Perkins

Phoenix sends:

SF Shawn Marion
SF Jimmy Jackson

receives:

PF Stromile Swift (sign and trade)
SF James Posey
SF Shane Battier
2006 conditional 1st rounder

PG Steve Nash
SG Joe Johnson
SF Shane Battier
PF Stromile Swift
C Amare Stoudemire

bench: Kurt Thomas, James Posey, Leandro Barbosa, Steven Hunter

Memphis sends:

SF James Posey
SF Shane Battier
PF Stromile Swift
2006 conditional 1st rounder

Memphis receives:

SG Paul Pierce
SF Jimmy Jackson

Lineup:

PG Jason Williams
SG Paul Pierce
SF Mike Miller
PF Pau Gasol
C Lorenzen Wright

bench: Jimmy Jackson, Jake T. Dahntay Jones, PG selected with #19

Last edited:

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound irritable but the MArion trade stuff is offbase. HE is a proven performer who doesn't have nearly as many down games as Amare did towards the end of the season. He is one of the best rebounding SFs in the game. He defended Dirk pretty darn well considering he was playing out of position. He provides a lot of substance the Suns wouldn't get far without.

cly2tw

Reaction score
panfolk said:
I don't mean to sound irritable but the MArion trade stuff is offbase. HE is a proven performer who doesn't have nearly as many down games as Amare did towards the end of the season. He is one of the best rebounding SFs in the game. He defended Dirk pretty darn well considering he was playing out of position. He provides a lot of substance the Suns wouldn't get far without.

I can't agree with your last statement. He is a role player, period. The second best at that, if Horry were the best ;) , but still a role player. The core of Amare/Nash/JJ set up the frame that allows for all kind of ways to play the game and succeed with exchangible parts/role-players surrounding them. The following hypothetical team will do far better in the playoffs:

Amare/Nash/JoeJ/Battier/Swift

bench: Kurt Thomas, Finley (min. waived by Mavs), JimJ, Marshall (MLE), Barbosa, Mutombo (or Traylor,LLE)

HooverDam

Reaction score
The Suns are NOT going to trade Marion this year. Got it? Get it out of your heads. What would happen if they traded 2/5th of their starting line up and then didnt do as well as last year, they'd be laughed out of town. With KT, Marion can slide back to his natural position and really excel. They may trade the Matrix after this year if they dont win a championship (or come very close).

About the OPs trade ideas. I LOVE your first idea. Get Jake off the roster!!! I agree w/ the other poster who said it would have to be a draft day deal though, we want to make sure our guy (Ike- or whoever it is) doesnt fall to us, not just assume he wont.

As for trading LB, it wont happen. The Suns brass loves him, they dote on him every chance they get. They feel (as do a lot of people) that he could blossom at any time. LB is still on his rookie scale contract, has played a lot of NBA minutes, and will more valuable than anyone we can get in the draft.

I think/hope Steven Hunter is going to release w/ KT on the roster, he doesnt have as much leverage now. Also, I dont think he is as valuable as he thinks he is (though some stupid team may over pay for an athletic big man). Plus, if he really wants to win, he should stay.

I also think the Suns will resign McCarty. He is big, can shoot, rebound, etc. Marshall is obviously better, but if they cant get him or a player like him, McCarty may be acceptable back up.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, what next.

1. No Marion trades. It ain't happening.
2. Casey's coming back for the vet min.
3. Don't see the Suns drafting Diogu after picking up Thomas. Look for them to pick up a center as insurance in case they can't resign Hunter.
4. They need a shot blocker (if Hunter is gone), a back up pg, and a perimeter defender. If Payton's got any game left, and a new attitude. He would be a fit. He has to be able to play lockup D though.

So, we add.

Payton for the vet min.
Casey for the vet min.
Donyell Marshall for the mid-level.
Center from the draft (Petro?).
Resign Hunter at 1.7 mil.
Resign McCarty (or someone) for vet min to fill out a 14 man roster.

It would be nice to pick up a sane Artest type of player to play a Bruce Bowen role here.

pg. Nash, Payton, Barbosa
sg. JoeJ, JimJ, Casey, Barbosa
sf. Shawn, Marshall, JimJ
pf. Thomas, Marshall, Shawn
c. Amare, Hunter, Jake, rookie.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard Hunter on the radio yesterday say that he was not returning for the $1.7 million exception. I doubt the Phoenix Suns are willing to give him more than that, so I think he's gone. There really aren't any centers in the draft that are going to replace him unless they draft Petro, and bring him over right away. It's going to take someone in free agency.

I don't see Gary Payton getting enough playing time here.

I know this is new, but I don't like the idea of signing Donyell Marshall. I don't want Shareef Abdur-Rahim either. I'm not sure who I would like with the mid-level exception. It really isn't either of them though.

Joe Mama

sunsfn

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I heard Hunter on the radio yesterday say that he was not returning for the $1.7 million exception. I doubt the Phoenix Suns are willing to give him more than that, so I think he's gone. There really aren't any centers in the draft that are going to replace him unless they draft Petro, and bring him over right away. It's going to take someone in free agency.

I don't see Gary Payton getting enough playing time here.

I know this is new, but I don't like the idea of signing Donyell Marshall. I don't want Shareef Abdur-Rahim either. I'm not sure who I would like with the mid-level exception. It really isn't either of them though.

Joe Mama

"WOW"
After diagreeing with you on JJ, Marion, Q, I have to agree with you totally on this.

:eek: It hurt to say that.... :p

Hey Joe, no rolling eyes from me...... :devil:

HooverDam

Reaction score
JCSunsfan I agree w/ your entire post, except you leave Jake on the roster. I think he is just too damned expensive to never play. The SUns will find a way to dump him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
JCSunsfan I agree w/ your entire post, except you leave Jake on the roster. I think he is just too damned expensive to never play. The SUns will find a way to dump him.

And how do you think that will happen? Do you think another team sees something in him we don't?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amare32 said:
I still like the possible signing of Earl Watson.

I liked him as well, but he didn't look so good against the Suns in the playoffs.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
And how do you think that will happen? Do you think another team sees something in him we don't?

I think there are other teams who need a back up center. If I were the Suns, I'd be willing to trade him for just about anything. Including a 2nd round pick, or just future 2nd rounders.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think there are other teams who need a back up center.

I think there are plenty of teams who could use Voskuhl for a few minutes a game, including Phoenix. The problem with trading him for a pick is that the new team would have to have the cap space to absorb his contract. Any team that has $2 million to play with is going to try to find someone who can help them more than Voskuhl.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
I think there are other teams who need a back up center. If I were the Suns, I'd be willing to trade him for just about anything. Including a 2nd round pick, or just future 2nd rounders.

Um, we need a backup center ourselves, right?

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
I am just curious to find that what team is going to be willing to pay Hunter more than 1.7 million

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Biclops said:
I am just curious to find that what team is going to be willing to pay Hunter more than 1.7 million

Charlotte, Cleveland, New Orleans, Atlanta. That's 4 to start. Each of them could pay hunter in the 2.5 mil to 3 range, sign a max level FA, and another player. They all need bodies--young active bodies. Hunter fits the bill.