Whats the Eagles' biggest threat?

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

-Westbrook?

Weve faced two of the elite running offenses in the league in Atlanta and Carolina. After seeing how we've stuffed them, Westbrook doesn't scare me one bit. We can shut down the running in between the tackles and sweeps, but this is a test for our linebackers because Westbrook is a very good receiving RB. He's also small, girly, and can squeeze where other masculine running backs cannot. As far as rushing goes, im not very worried about him.

-DeSean Jackson?

Really? DRC handled himself like an all-pro CB against Steve Smith this past game vs the Panthers, and did very well (with the exception of a play or two against Roddy White.) After seeing what this guy can do for us, there is no doubt in my mind that Jackson (the eagles best WR) can be handled by DRC. Kevin Curtis and Jason Avant arent big threats by ANY means. Rod Hood and Ralph Brown can do their thing.

-LJ Smith?

Ill take Stephen Spach over this scrub any day of the week!

-DontKnowVan McNabb

We can bring the blitz.. Donovans looking kinda chunky and not as mobile as usual. The linebacker pursuit must be EXCELLENT. (Killa) Karlos Dansby and Gerald Hayes have been doing a superb job so far. Not that big a threat IMO.

So what is it, guys?

Whats the eagles biggest weapon a gainst us?

I hate to sound like an arrogant prick.. But i dont think that their offense is nearly as strong as ours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shzm13

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
best weapons i can think of:

You must be registered for see images attach

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Their whole defense is pretty dangerous, but these players stick out.

Stewart Bradley LB #55

Quintin Mikell Safety #27

Asante Samuel CB #22

Darren Howard DE #90

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Westbrook. You have a point comparing the offenses. I just hope the Cards D keeps it up.

SwingOnThis

Reaction score
The Eagles obviously don't have a threat in the mold of a Fitz or a Boldin (I would say Westbrook but he looks like he's playing hurt), but they manage to be offensively prolific because of a good O-line and a smart QB that can keep plays alive longer than most.

This game, like all playoff games, will be won at the line of scrimmage. The Eagles game plan against Warner won't be complicated, they will attempt to pressure him. If the Cards O-line can keep Warner clean, the Cards will be able to score quite a few points. Ditto for the Eagles.

SwingOnThis

Reaction score
Their whole defense is pretty dangerous, but these players stick out.

Stewart Bradley LB #55

Quintin Mikell Safety #27

Asante Samuel CB #22

Darren Howard DE #90

Trent Cole is their best pass rusher. Patterson and Bunkley are solid DTs. Bradley is a poor man's Urlacher. Although maybe i shouldn't say that, i think Urlacher is WAY overrated. But the Eagles strength is their secondary. And they'll need it this weekend!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Uh, what was the question again ?

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Westbrook. We failed to contain him last time. Let's not make that mistake again.

That said, Donovan can be pretty nasty as well.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Westbrook without a doubt. He's the shifty, cutback type of runner that can gash us. It is imperative that we don't allow him to catch the ball on screens and kill us there. We need to snuff out the screen like never before.

BCEagle

Registered
Reaction score
It's Westbrook. Not because he is a great running back -- as you noted in your post, you have already faced better conventional running backs in the playoffs. He is a threat because he can really be used anywhere on the field, and when he gets open space, he has a deceptive quickness that makes him difficult to tackle.

On defense, Dawkins should be added to that list. He's arguably the best free safety in the conference. I know that FS is not as important as the CB position, but he is a play maker, with three FF in the last three games.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
It's Westbrook. Not because he is a great running back -- as you noted in your post, you have already faced better conventional running backs in the playoffs. He is a threat because he can really be used anywhere on the field, and when he gets open space, he has a deceptive quickness that makes him difficult to tackle.

On defense, Dawkins should be added to that list. He's arguably the best free safety in the conference. I know that FS is not as important as the CB position, but he is a play maker, with three FF in the last three games.

100% agree with this write up.

Q's critical fumble in the first game was set up out of fear of Dawkins. And Westbrook is EXACTLY the type of back that gives us problems. We haven't defended a screen pass since the team played in Chicago.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Donvan's ability to extend the play and avoid being sacked.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Defensive pressure on the inside. This is the thing that absolutly keeps me up at night. The key to defeating the Cards is to get pressure on Warner - the best pressure is up the middle through Wells / Sendlein / Lutui.

Rattle Warner, he makes mistakes. If he makes mistakes, we lose. It's that simple.

So, in my opinion, the greatest threat isn't on the field of play but on the sidelines, and his name is Jim Johnson.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Their Biggest Threat is Their Multiple Offensive Threats...

With most NFL teams, if you take away a 2 or 3 of their offensive players - through spying, double-coverage or 8-in-the-box - you can contain them.

But the Eagle offense gives Cardinal defenders several things they have to consider all at once on every play.

- McNabb can throw the ball

- McNabb can run the ball.

- You have to watch out for Westbrook as both a runner and receiver.

- They've got 2 TE's who can go up and grab it (in Celek and LJ Smith)

- And we haven't even gotten to their WR's who are better than in past years. (They've added a deep threat in Jackson; Curtis is their old pro and Avant, Baskett, Lewis and Brown are at the very least relatively trustworthy).

That's a lot for a defensive player to have to think about on every snap.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The eagles biggest threat is their D. They can score with it they can pin you back with it they can put your offense in disarray. I actually am not worried about their offense and it scares me that I think this is the easiest of the 3 games thus far.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The eagles biggest threat is their D. They can score with it they can pin you back with it they can put your offense in disarray. I actually am not worried about their offense and it scares me that I think this is the easiest of the 3 games thus far.
It really seems that way.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The Cardinals just need to be disciplined on defense and make sure tackles. If they start missing tackles, over run plays, lose focus in the secondary (all of which they have done at some point this season) we are screwed. Even if we don't sack McNabb we have to make him uncomfortable, we have to bump & run Jackson and we have to be wary of Westbrook on every play. Forcing turnovers again will be the key.

The Eagles will come in overconfident...they've won 3 straight road games, 2 in the playoffs. BUT they haven't played in UofP EVER, they have no idea the pent up frustration of a city ready to explode over the success of their football team...the Cardinals can't help but feed off that energy. Hopefully the combination of Cardinal energy and Eagle overconfidence will lead to a Super Bowl berth for the Cards...then we can be the worst Super Bowl team EVER.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
The key to making Warner give up the ball is not by pressuring him. He has the best QB rating in the league when pressured. That includes turnovers in the QB rating. Where Kurt has made most of his INT’s is when a team rushes 4 and sits 7 guys in coverage, that’s when Kurt thinks to much and tries to make something happen rather then his accurate timing passes.

You better believe Philly DC Johnson knows just that as the game against the Cards was a game he called the fewest blitz in a single game all year long. He mostly rushed 4 and dropped back 7 guys. After that other teams started doing the same thing and Warner while still playing well wasn’t playing nearly as well as the game previous. Seems as though Warner and our OC have finally caught up to that change of how teams were playing us.

Warner wasn’t sacked all game long and the throws he made were throws while not under pressure or due to holding on to long because of 7 guys in coverage then being pressured.

Anyways their biggest threat is Westbrook and their DC. We do very well against the north south runners but the shiftier ones give us fits. We shall see if our newly found consistent gap control and tackling ability helps that out. Their DC 9 times out of 10 puts his guys in situations to do well.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Good post. You hit the nail on the head. Westbrook is the fast and shifty type that kills us. The Eagles use him to run the best screen in the NFL. We also suck at defending the screen.

Brian Dawkins is an animal and the most important player on that team IMO. He is the leader of the D and plays a vital position. For some reason, safeties just get no love. they are far more important than CBs IMO, as the '08 Giants are evidence that a strong pass rush can hide a poor secondary. Look at how the playoffs came to be and how they have played out thusfar. Coincidence that the teams with the best safety tandems in the league made the playoffs? Try to name the last SB winner who didn't have atleast one marguee safety, if not two of them.

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
We stop Westbrook, we win, I think. As long as Cole doesn't get past Gandy and Levi we should be good in the passing game I hope!

Westbrook just stop him anyway we can, put DRC on Curtis and lets roll over the top of Jackson and let our LBs and A Dub crush Avant when he comes over the middle, not to worried about LJ Smith or their TEs.

Do nothing special, just stop the run, and screen passes to Westbrook.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05