What's the Most Heartbreaking Loss in Cardinals History?

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
1984 losing the division to Washington when they lost last game of the year by 2 points to the Redskins. Last time Cards had a chance to win a division title. Havent even been close since.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This game. Against the Bears we were heavy dogs and played above our heads shocking the world for three quarters.

Here we were heavy favorites, against a bad team...in a tight playoff race....coming off two very good wins and one on the road...and we were supposed to be angry and wanting payback. And we laid an egg. 32 yard FG...please. At least the chicago miss was from 41.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1984 losing the division to Washington when they lost last game of the year by 2 points to the Redskins. Last time Cards had a chance to win a division title. Havent even been close since.

I have to agree with this. The way they lost was terrible. What sticks out was a roughing the passer call on E.J Junior when he sacked Theisman. Cost us the game.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This game. Against the Bears we were heavy dogs and played above our heads shocking the world for three quarters.

Here we were heavy favorites, against a bad team...in a tight playoff race....coming off two very good wins and one on the road...and we were supposed to be angry and wanting payback. And we laid an egg. 32 yard FG...please. At least the chicago miss was from 41.

The Chicago loss stings more for me than this one.

Only fitting that Rackers missed crucial FG's in both of them.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep that cost us the playoffs. 10 penalties on us, 1 on Washington, and that one penalty was a clock running out that actually wiped out a sack(nobody heard the whistle).

Worst officiated game I've ever seen, Pat Summerall said "if you take the aggressiveness out of the game, the stands will be filled with no shows" after a horrible call on EJ Junior.

I will never forget that game.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Yep that cost us the playoffs. 10 penalties on us, 1 on Washington, and that one penalty was a clock running out that actually wiped out a sack(nobody heard the whistle).

Worst officiated game I've ever seen, Pat Summerall said "if you take the aggressiveness out of the game, the stands will be filled with no shows" after a horrible call on EJ Junior.

I couldn't believe they got the FG attempt off, and thought they had it for a second. Worst loss for me? Bears 2006, yesterday is in the top 5, though.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The Rams game at the PUP last year. The Father of all the crazy losses that have followed.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Sunday's loss was worse than the Bear MNF meltdown... this one MEANT SOMETHING and we lost strictly due to incompetence and stupidity versus the combination of DG play calling, bad breaks and a miraculous kick return...

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
Sunday's loss was worse than the Bear MNF meltdown... this one MEANT SOMETHING and we lost strictly due to incompetence and stupidity versus the combination of DG play calling, bad breaks and a miraculous kick return...

Good points. But it is hard to choose between the two. My reaction after the Chicago loss was just speechlessness--I was so shocked, I just sat there in front of the TV for a couple of minutes with my jaw dropped.

Yesterday, I just shut off the TV in anger. But obviously, this loss was more important because we basically blew the chance for the division title.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
yesterdays 49ers game, the rams & bears games last year, and the falcons 9-6 game a few years back

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
Whichever game was the last one we lost. Every loss is painful. Home losses are more painful. And I don't care who is favored, I walk out of the stadium seething with anger toward locals who are happy about it.

No, I have faith that a month from now, yesterday will just be another story of the extremes this season held for us. I still plan on attending XLII with the Cards representing the NFC. There is never a reason to assume otherwise.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I have faith that a month from now, yesterday will just be another story of the extremes this season held for us. I still plan on attending XXXXXXLII with the Cards representing the XFC. There is never a reason to assume otherwise.

ftfy

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I was there & I agree that this was the WORST officiated game I have ever seen. The worst screw job in Cardinals history. I was more incensed over the 84 game than I was yesterday. I still don't know how I contained myself, because I was so close to strangling a Redskin fan or two to death. I was a competetive power lifter back then & I was ready & eager to take a few Deadskin fans to the hospital with me.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
I will give you my first major disappointment or blast of reality with the Cardinals. 1977 Thanksgiving day - Cards were 7-3, on a 6 game win streak, and got blasted by Shula's Dolphins at home in Busch 55-14. The Cards did not win again that year including giving the Buccaneers their second win in franchise history a week after they won their first game in the second season of existence. That was the beginning of the end for Coryell's Cardiac Cardinals.

Six game win streak. Doesnt that sound good? When was that last done? 1977?

Last edited:

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
on the same topic, about the only weirder games I can think of would be that game that ended on a classic Leonard Davis false start a couple years ago, or that oakland home game back in 1998/1999... but I don't remember exactly what happened in that one, only that the entire team was baffled the game was suddenly over & Tobin didn't want to answer questions after the game.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
1984, Washington game.

Watched it in the pit of my dorm at Mizzou with 2 other hardcore fans.

They were otherwise very mild guys, the tv didn't make it, cost me 100 dollars for my share and i didn't do anything to it but I bucked up and paid.

Oh and 1986 December....

Last game ever played in Bush Stadium RIP St. Louis Cardinals lost to the Giants...

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was there & I agree that this was the WORST officiated game I have ever seen. The worst screw job in Cardinals history. I was more incensed over the 84 game than I was yesterday. I still don't know how I contained myself, because I was so close to strangling a Redskin fan or two to death. I was a competetive power lifter back then & I was ready & eager to take a few Deadskin fans to the hospital with me.
Your a skinny little wimp.