What's up with Lampe?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've seen several articles and interviews now that mention that the Suns will be signing a center. Reason given is that Voshkul is all the Suns have right now.

Why isn't anyone mentioning Lampe? Is he falling out of favor? Is going to be moved? Or do the Suns see him as a PF or even SF as opposed to a center? Thoughts?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
I've seen several articles and interviews now that mention that the Suns will be signing a center. Reason given is that Voshkul is all the Suns have right now.

Why isn't anyone mentioning Lampe? Is he falling out of favor? Is going to be moved? Or do the Suns see him as a PF or even SF as opposed to a center? Thoughts?

If the summer league is any indication, he remains a project. He will get minutes, but does not seem ready to play a big role yet.

In any case, the Suns have only four inside guys: Stoudemire, Voskuhl, Lampe, and Vroman. Last season they had six. Even if Lampe got really good, the Suns would still need another guy just to deal with fouls and minor injuries. As a rule, inside guys play fewer minutes per game than outside guys. It is simply more physically demanding. This is why inside depth is so important.

In the long run, the Suns are undoubtedly hoping Lampe will bloom into a star, but right now he is a 19 year old trying to learn how to be a center (he was an SF in Europe). He doesn't seem ready yet.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Plus, Lampe is in the brick a minute club for shooters! :) I think his D has improved from last year, but he is still hurrying his shot on offense. Dude, you are a seven footer, take your time shooting! :)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
it's simple. right now, potential or not, he just sucks.

That is the definition of a project.

The fact that he is not hitting his outside shots is almost irrelevant to evaluating Lampe. He will regain his rainge because he has very good mechanics. In any case, Lampe only becomes a player if the Suns force him to play in a tightly defined system. Summer league is a bit too unstructured for that. In a system, his job on offense will be to pass the ball, set picks and get offensive rebounds - not shoot threes.

What will define Lampe will be whether he becomes effective on defense. The Suns don't need a lot of points from their center (the threat of being able to shoot is better than actually shooting), but they are going to really struggle to keep opponents under 100 ppg.

BigBuddy

Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
it's simple. right now, potential or not, he just sucks.

That'a a really nice one, mate :) Lampe averages around 13ppg and 6rpg in less then 27 minutes in the Summer League so far, I think these are quite a numbers for a 19-years-old. Everything he lacks goes with experience so just give him more minutes in the league and watch his game skyrocketing to another level.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Take a look Dalembert's rookie numbers and they were less impressive than Lampe's. The only reason Dalembert became the Sixers starting center was by default, but he ended up doing a very good job.

I suspect the Suns are anticipating having Lampe simply play throught his struggles. It worked for Amare and Dalembert. Maybe it will with Lampe as well. :shrug:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
BigBuddy said:
That'a a really nice one, mate :) Lampe averages around 13ppg and 6rpg in less then 27 minutes in the Summer League so far, I think these are quite a numbers for a 19-years-old. Everything he lacks goes with experience so just give him more minutes in the league and watch his game skyrocketing to another level.
18-year old rookie Lampe averaged 17.2 ppg and 7.0 rpg in last year's Rocky Mountain ***** while hitting 9 of 20 three point attempts. I don't think summer leagues have any bearing on how the player will perform in regular season in limited minutes. I haven't seen him play since last year, but I read he's been working hard all summer, and he seems very motivated. I think it's way too early to tell if he'll ever capitalize on his potential.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Griffin said:
18-year old rookie Lampe averaged 17.2 ppg and 7.0 rpg in last year's Rocky Mountain ***** while hitting 9 of 20 three point attempts. I don't think summer leagues have any bearing on how the player will perform in regular season in limited minutes. I haven't seen him play since last year, but I read he's been working hard all summer, and he seems very motivated. I think it's way too early to tell if he'll ever capitalize on his potential.

exactly. i'm not saying he'll always suck, but until that POTENTIAL manifests itself in either consistency or occasional explosions of talent, he sucks. if he can't play RIGHT NOW, he sucks RIGHT NOW. that's all i am saying.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
exactly. i'm not saying he'll always suck, but until that POTENTIAL manifests itself in either consistency or occasional explosions of talent, he sucks. if he can't play RIGHT NOW, he sucks RIGHT NOW. that's all i am saying.

I guess this is more a question of writing style than player evaluation. To me a guy who looks like he will eventually become good is a "project", while a guy who looks like he will never become good is a bust, ie "sucks".

Usually "projects" start to show something in their second and third years. However, when a guy show little progress after three years (such as Diop), it is time to start concluding the guy is a bust.

Not all bust disappear. Some go to Europe or the minors, develop their game and become players. Stephen Jackson is a classic example and there are many others. But most busts stays busts because they lack the talent and drive to become good.

I have no reason to believe that Lampe won't become a good player. I appears he is willing to work and certain has some skills. He is very young and still maturing physically as well as emotionally. Like everyone else, I get impatient with his slow progress but he is progressing. He's not ready yet, but to call him a bust is a mistake.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I guess this is more a question of writing style than player evaluation. To me a guy who looks like he will eventually become good is a "project", while a guy who looks like he will never become good is a bust, ie "sucks".

Usually "projects" start to show something in their second and third years. However, when a guy show little progress after three years (such as Diop), it is time to start concluding the guy is a bust.

Not all bust disappear. Some go to Europe or the minors, develop their game and become players. Stephen Jackson is a classic example and there are many others. But most busts stays busts because they lack the talent and drive to become good.

I have no reason to believe that Lampe won't become a good player. I appears he is willing to work and certain has some skills. He is very young and still maturing physically as well as emotionally. Like everyone else, I get impatient with his slow progress but he is progressing. He's not ready yet, but to call him a bust is a mistake.

i agree, it's semantics. i don't think lampe IS a bust. i think there is high bust potential. probably as high bust potential as success potential (and that opens up an entirely different discussion - just what is "success?" is it a competent rotation player? is it a 10pts 8 rebs guy? is it a star?). in fact, probably higher bust potential than success potential as more players bust than become successes. particularly those that drop to the second round.

but i stand by my statement, right now he sucks. if we were choosing up teams for a game on the playground this afternoon and someone whispered in my ear, "hey, pick lampe," i'd probably reply, "what, are you kidding? he sucks!" that's how i'm defining it.

BigBuddy

Reaction score
Off topic - field shooting

Just a quick off-topic... I was getting more and more concerned about Lampe's fg percentage this summer, but now it seems he's not the only one in Suns having problems with that. He went 4-of-17 from the field against Seattle, but Barbossa was ice cold as well with his 5-of-15, the whole starting five made only 15 of their 50 shots (!) and Holman added some nice 3-of-10 bench scoring. I didn't actually see this game, but these numbers are insane! Can anyone tell me what had happened?