When you are up by 21 and get the ball first in the second half.....

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
It might be a good idea to attempt to run the ball and take time off of the clock rather than throw the ball over and over again and risk three and outs or interceptions.

Win or lose, Whisenhunt's playcalling is atrocious.

:bang:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Sadly, the only difference would be that there wouldn't be any risk of interceptions.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
It might be a good idea to attempt to run the ball and take time off of the clock rather than throw the ball over and over again and risk three and outs or interceptions.

Win or lose, Whisenhunt's playcalling is atrocious.

:bang:

Come on Rosey, your common sense makes too much sense.

OP
OP
Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Sadly, the only difference would be that there wouldn't be any risk of interceptions.

Don't forget the risk of holding calls (common with our OL). And runs take time off of the clock as opposed to incomplete passes.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Don't forget the risk of holding calls (common with our OL). And runs take time off of the clock as opposed to incomplete passes.

I don't think our 1 yard runs take anymore time off the clock than an incomplete pass.

That run by Wells was the Cards first running play of the 2nd half.

OP
OP
Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I don't think our 1 yard runs take anymore time off the clock than an incomplete pass.

First of all:

The clock runs after a 1 yard run but not an incomplete pass

Second of all:

Wells is averaging over 4 yards per carry this year

The Texans are now back within two touchdowns and have the ball.

Good job Whiz

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
If the team can't figure out how to establish a running game once you have a lead into the second half they are going to be mediocre. You have to call running plays to have any success at running the ball. You have a lead Whis. Run the damn ball!!!.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am so frustrated with this play calling right now I can't even think straight. Why in the world are we still throwing the ball 70% of the time? Then Beanie runs for 6 yards on first down, and we throw the ball on 2nd and 3rd? That is just plain stupid.

Tim

Reaction score
Don't forget that Kurt is changing a lot of these plays at the line. There have been a number of times that he has audibled to a pass. A lot of this is on Kurt.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
First of all:

The clock runs after a 1 yard run but not an incomplete pass

Second of all:

Wells is averaging over 4 yards per carry this year

The Texans are now back within two touchdowns and have the ball.

Good job Whiz

Don't get so excited I was making fun of our inept* running game not arguing over the time. *9 of 13 runs have averaged less than a yard and a half today.

On the other hand the Cards have thrown the ball on 15 of their 16 plays since going up 21-0. Not good. Not good at all.

Last edited:

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have noticed that as well. However, there should be some communication and understanding that when you are up by 21 points and the clock is your only opponent, then you run the dang ball and take some time off the clock. You are playing one of the worst run defenses and just drafted a RB in the 1st round. I have never been so frustrated despite having the lead ever.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completely agree. Before this game I was ignoring the complaints about play calling but this 2nd half is a joke. I don't know if it's Whiz or Kurt audibling but you HAVE to run the damn ball.

And I have Warner on my fantasy team but even I think we should be running the ball to shorten the game.
Win or lose this game proves there's a problem with the playcalling.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We have ran the ball 14 times in a game where we had a 21 point lead, against a team that is TERRIBLE against the run. This is the worst season of offensive coaching I have ever seen.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can't believe we are going to lose this game. This is AWFUL.

73% Pass to 27% run in a game where we have never trailed at any point. I love Whiz as a coach, but it is CLEARLY apparent that we need a real offensive coordinator (not 2 fake ones), and that the play calling should be removed from Whiz's hands.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Please note that my original post was before the Texans even scored in the second half. Even a layman could see that Whisenhunt was shooting us in the foot right off the bat.

Ken Whisenhunt needs to smarten up quickly

Cards232

Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget that Kurt is changing a lot of these plays at the line. There have been a number of times that he has audibled to a pass. A lot of this is on Kurt.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know Warner audibled to a pass play? Could it be that it was a pass play & that he audibled to a hot read? Could it have been a fake audible? Just wondering how you seem to know for sure.

OP
OP
Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Whisenhunt clueless on the post-game interview. Blames "missed opportunities" like the ball that went off Urbans fingertips. Says we will continue to "stay aggressive" when we have the lead at half.

Stubborn as a mule

No reference to the lack of an attempt to running the ball. No reference to his lie this week that Beanie would get a "healthy dose" of carries.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Before we all overdose on the Whisenhunt hatorade... didn't he take the Cards to the Superbowl last year?

Rats

Reaction score
I think he thinks he can rely on his "Playmakers" to steal games like DRC did today. He really is out of his league as a headcoach at this point in his career. He has had success and it has gone to his head. His players reflect this attitude on the field. Got to play 4 qts and not put yourself in the position they did in the second half. They had this game in hand at halftime and almost let it get away. As Cards fans why should we be suprised.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biggest problem is our formations. Beanie in on first down, it's a run. If he only gains 2 yards he comes out, Hightower comes in and lines up behind the tackle and Warner in shotgun. One time in the second half Wells had an 8 yard run. He stayed in the game. Big dose of Wells, huh? Perfect time to run him again, right? Nope. Incomplete pass.
Again we continue to use just 5 blockers no matter how much pressure they get on Warner. Many, many times the Texans had max protection during their comeback.
LSH comes in, the ball is going to him. Why? Because he comes in for 4 plays a game and when he does it goes to him.

Tomorrow morning we will open the newspaper and see we are 2-2 and the 49er's are 3-2 after getting pummeled by the Falcons. If we can go to Seattle and take care of business we will be tied for first.

The 49er's are on a bye, then go to Houston and Indy back to back.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
ENJOY the ARIZONA CARDINALS WIN.Life is TOO SHORT.We just won a game many thought we'd lose and we also had many of our guys check out at halftime and plan on where to party after the big blowout.:D

Maybe some guys learned today that there is always a second half that you can't phone it in on.No and I mean NOT ONE adjustment was made to stop the things that the texans did well in the first half and they DID make adjustments to our coverages and did make us look silly for almost two quarters till everyone decided to play the last minute of the game.

Don't let your blood pressure rise and just focus on the awesome game at Qwest field that I'm sure all of you neighsayers will believe we get punked by 50 in.

I'm sure the seahawks learned an awfull lot from the way we played the Jags run and shut them down the same way.They just did'nt take their peddle off the metal like we did in the start of the third quarter in Jacksonville when Kurts shoulder started hurting him.

I hope everyone is well enough to make the plane ride north this next week and we make a good gameplan to get a passrush on the seahawks.I'd rather face baldy with the great arm then their running quarterback anyday.

The quarterback we played today was #7 in the league before the game and thats after playing the Jets and Colts who have okay defenses.They also played the Jags and raiders who don't have awesome defenses but we played the Jags too.

Its a big DIVISION game next week.Time to go 2-0 at Qwest field and just wait on all the trolls that will visit this week.:D

ENJOY LIFE.ITS TOO GOOD NOT TOO!!!!:fans:

Rats

Reaction score
Slan, I guess dreaming is free. If we only play 2qts and 2 series in the second half we will have no shot against Seattle up there. The Texan coach got in his Qb's face and lit a fire. He made halftime adjmnts and nearly pulled out a road win that would have been the Cards 3rd loss at home. Not exactly a positive development. Whis says we missed opportunities...well...YEAH....you should have made adjmnts at halftime with a 21 point lead and Ran the damn ball!!!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree.

A passing game is great for getting a 21 point lead in the first half, but not a good way to keep it. We need to explore this idea--however foreign it might be--of running the ball and eating clock.