When you are up by 21 and get the ball first in the second half.....

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm a defender of Whiz but the 2nd half was pretty bad. I don't know if Warner was audibilizing but this was a perfect game to showcase Beanie Wells and did he even have 5 carries in the 2nd half? If they didn't run the ball this game then i wouldn't expect much at any time. DRC baled him out.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The bottom line is we spent a 1st round pick on Wells. He has proven to be a better runner than Timmy. This team needs to be balance, as defenses are starting to clue in as to what we are doing. Even a decent run offense will confuse the defense and turn it into a guessing game.

Doesn't Whis want some sort of running attack like he had in Pittsburgh?? I thought that was his specialty as an OC.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm a defender of Whiz but the 2nd half was pretty bad. I don't know if Warner was audibilizing but this was a perfect game to showcase Beanie Wells and did he even have 5 carries in the 2nd half? If they didn't run the ball this game then i wouldn't expect much at any time. DRC baled him out.

The whole team only had four carries in the second half, and two of those were Warner running out the clock. The other two averaged 4.5 yards (Beanie 6, Hightower 3). I haven't seen anything like it since the Vikings game in 06'.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Wells and Hightower each had 1 carry in the second half.

The Cards ran 10 consecutive pass plays to start the second half.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
The whole team only had four carries in the second half, and two of those were Warner running out the clock. The other two averaged 4.5 yards (Beanie 6, Hightower 3). I haven't seen anything like it since the Vikings game in 06'.
that's pretty bad.Up 21-0 and only 4 running plays. Hell, Jim Tressel calls that many running plays down 21-0 with about 7 minutes left. I have to think Warner was checking out of the run and, if he was, that option needs to be taken away depending on game conditions.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HArd to run the ball when your players including Wells are getting about 2 yards a pop. Really hard to have any confidence. This OL is downright atrocious. The only unit on this team that is worse is the entire defense. They all suck.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
damn I was expecting just a little happiness after a win. You want to run? 3 and outs and taking time off the clock at the beginning of the second half doesn't do anything at all. You're not smarter than Whiz, he's doing the only thing this team can do, pass pass pass pass. Play to win, not to not lose. It's up to the players to get it done.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HArd to run the ball when your players including Wells are getting about 2 yards a pop. Really hard to have any confidence. This OL is downright atrocious. The only unit on this team that is worse is the entire defense. They all suck.

Beanie averaged 3.4 a carry. Hightower 2.8.

Hightower needs to be a situational runner only. That is the start.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beanie averaged 3.4 a carry. Hightower 2.8.

Hightower needs to be a situational runner only. That is the start.

I dont disagree. But Beanie was the king of the two yard run today his runs were like 7,1,2,2,2,2,8 not instilling a lot of confidence in that OL with him running the rock either.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i bet it is hard for beanie to get going on a good grove when he knows Hightower will be coming the next play after.... I don't think Whiz will ever give up on hightower as the everydown back which sucks. Heck I bet if Beanie ran for 100 yards and a few tds whiz would probally still start Hightower. I mean I like hightower as the goaline back but not everydown back.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I dont disagree. But Beanie was the king of the two yard run today his runs were like 7,1,2,2,2,2,8 not instilling a lot of confidence in that OL with him running the rock either.

Our o-line did what they do best... The made Beanie look like, well.... just another sucky Cards RB. :bang:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i bet it is hard for beanie to get going on a good grove when he knows Hightower will be coming the next play after.... I don't think Whiz will ever give up on hightower as the everydown back which sucks. Heck I bet if Beanie ran for 100 yards and a few tds whiz would probally still start Hightower. I mean I like hightower as the goaline back but not everydown back.

Beanie SHould get the bulk of carries. But on 3rd down it should def be Hightower as well as at the GL. Without question. Timmy is a far beter pass catcher and money at the GL.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I'm not positive but didn't Wells have 1 carry for 6 yards in the 2nd half? Let the guy get in rhythm and run the ball. Same with the OL.You've got a horse , use him. Get TH the hell out of the running game and go with Beanie. I'm not one to complain after a win but c'mon, you've got him, use him. Running back by commitee almost never works as effectively as 1 main guy and aguy to spell him. Give Wells the ball and let TH be the 3rd down back. It's so easy to see. You don't see AP and Taylor getting equal playing time. Or Tuner and Norwood. Or Gore,when healthy, and Coffee. Or Jackson and whoever. You've got that kind of talent use him.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference is that Beanie gets hit and gets an extra yard or two. Hightower is the best East/West runner in the NFL. He runs 8 yards to get 1.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score

oh come on, what do you think they are dating or something? :mulli:

its the same thing we did last year with DRC, which worked.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone gives Anquan a ball to hang on to this week.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would say the absolutely terrible play of the O Line, and their complete inability to open up a hole is the biggest culprit. Why call run plays when we are just going to get stuffed anyways?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say the absolutely terrible play of the O Line, and their complete inability to open up a hole is the biggest culprit. Why call run plays when we are just going to get stuffed anyways?

ABSOLUTELY!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

In the first half the Cards had two runs over 9 yards. On their other 9 runs they gained 12 yards.

Meanwhile the Cards run defense continues to be really tough. I thought the Texans were nuts not to pass the ball all 3 times at the one.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its gotta be tough for Beanie. Prolly 95% of the time when he is in, the D knows its going to be a run. He's lucky he gets anything

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Its gotta be tough for Beanie. Prolly 95% of the time when he is in, the D knows its going to be a run. He's lucky he gets anything

At the same time, it makes the play action pass more effective. At this rate, it should be 70/30 Beanie/Hightower. Timmy is good at picking up blitzes and such, but this team is in desperate need of balance. I guarantee we aren't going to sneak up on teams like last season passing 80% of the time