Where Does Kendall Marshall Fit?

maljanAZfan

Reaction score
According to Paul Coro, Marshall sprained his ankle during a 3-on-3 drill on Tuesday. Where does this guy fit? I mean, I still don't understand why the Suns gave Dragic that contract after taking Marshall in the draft; so far he's done virtually nothing.

He's a young piece who deserves playing time, especially over Telfair when both are healthy.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesn't fit since he is a d league talent.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Paul Coro, Marshall sprained his ankle during a 3-on-3 drill on Tuesday. Where does this guy fit? I mean, I still don't understand why the Suns gave Dragic that contract after taking Marshall in the draft; so far he's done virtually nothing.

He's a young piece who deserves playing time, especially over Telfair when both are healthy.

I'm sure he needs playing time to reach his potential but deserves is something else entirely. Especially because there are apparently concerns about his work ethic. He was a good college player that many of us felt lacked the speed and athleticism to compete at the next level. I saw nothing from him in summer ball to suggest that he's anything more than a scrub. He's got good vision and good passing skills but a PG in this league that can't get by his man, can't shoot and can't defend doesn't need a lot of court time, IMO.

Steve

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
where did you hear concerns about his work ethic?

OP
OP
M

maljanAZfan

Reaction score
Giving up on a first round draft pick four games into the season might not be the best team building strategy available. Once he's healthy, Marshall should play because he needs reps and development. If he's awful, then he's awful. But it makes zero sense not to utilize a point guard coming in on a valuable contract.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no real way to develop him. If we could trade him for a swing player with promise, I would do it.

I am ready to give up on Beasley too. I know its only 4 games, but its pretty obvious what he is.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As Paul Coro points out in the article at azcentral dated 11-7-12, Diante Garrett is more athletic and a better shooter than Marshall although Marshall might have the edge in passing.

Actually it could be argued that Marshall might only be only the fourth best PG on the roster.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/173627

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no real way to develop him. If we could trade him for a swing player with promise, I would do it.

I am ready to give up on Beasley too. I know its only 4 games, but its pretty obvious what he is.

SG is an obvious need and it certainly appears the Suns would have been better to invest in Mayo than Beasley.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not. I think it's too early to give up on him. Or, more accurately, it's too late to give up on him. We'd have been better off signing someone else but since we invested in him, we need to do everything we can to try and get something from that investment. IMO, we need to run the offense through him and live and die with the results. Chances are, he'll self-destruct and we'll be drafting high in the lottery.

Then again, maybe we'll get lucky with him. Maybe he'll put up 30 a night and some other team will think that's enough to put up with all his other weaknesses. It isn't. In the long run, you just can't win consistently with the kind of player Beasley is but we have so little of value it makes sense to try and turn him into something of worth.

Steve

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you are going to draft a guy with a top 15 pick, and especially if you aren't competing for a title, then you have to give the guy some playing time. If it is already clear that he is not NBA material, then why wasn't that clear before the draft?

I have not been impressed with Telfair so far this season. Most of the scoring plays for the second unit seem to involve Brown creating his own shot. So I don't see a reason why Marshall shouldn't get a few games where he is the primary PG backup. But since he's a passing PG and most of the players in the second unit can't really shoot, it probably won't work any better than what they are currently running.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I can see him still as part of a trade to a playoff team that needs someone just to pass the ball, but his lack of quickness and shooting is really making it hard for me to think he will be around after next year.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you are going to draft a guy with a top 15 pick, and especially if you aren't competing for a title, then you have to give the guy some playing time. If it is already clear that he is not NBA material, then why wasn't that clear before the draft?

I have not been impressed with Telfair so far this season. Most of the scoring plays for the second unit seem to involve Brown creating his own shot. So I don't see a reason why Marshall shouldn't get a few games where he is the primary PG backup. But since he's a passing PG and most of the players in the second unit can't really shoot, it probably won't work any better than what they are currently running.

Agreed. A team in our possession should be playing their rookie lotto pick no matter what. I really hope the only reason he isnt out there is because they are trying to build some trade value for Telfair.

I can see him still as part of a trade to a playoff team that needs someone just to pass the ball, but his lack of quickness and shooting is really making it hard for me to think he will be around after next year.

I really doubt a playoff team is going to trade for a rookie PG who cant get out of his warmups while playing for a lotto team.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I reeeeally want us to trade him to Toronto for Terrence Ross.

But that's too far fetched of a dream huh? :(

OP
OP
M

maljanAZfan

Reaction score
I reeeeally want us to trade him to Toronto for Terrence Ross.

But that's too far fetched of a dream huh? :(

That's not happening. Toronto loves Ross, just as the Suns claimed to love Marshall on draft day.

If they don't at least give him some burn they'll be taking a step backwards as an organization.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not happening. Toronto loves Ross, just as the Suns claimed to love Marshall on draft day.

If they don't at least give him some burn they'll be taking a step backwards as an organization.

They need to do what they can to develop him and they need to do what they can to determine what they have in him but for the first thousand years this game was played, it was generally accepted that players needed to earn their burn. As far as I know, that hasn't changed. They see this guy in every practice so I think they have a much better idea than we do whether he needs or deserves court time. This organization is quite capable of taking a step backwards on their own merit. No need to invent a new way for them to fail.

Steve

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
They need to do what they can to develop him and they need to do what they can to determine what they have in him but for the first thousand years this game was played, it was generally accepted that players needed to earn their burn. As far as I know, that hasn't changed. They see this guy in every practice so I think they have a much better idea than we do whether he needs or deserves court time. This organization is quite capable of taking a step backwards on their own merit. No need to invent a new way for them to fail.

Steve

I don't have oodles of faith in our coaches but I'm all right with them going with Telfair, thus far. No doubt they have Marshall shooting 500-1000 shots a day and have him spending an hour or so dribbling at top speed and changing speed. His game needs that kind of work but eventually they need to put him on the floor and see how he plays in 'real life', as Phrazbit and Griffen are suggesting. The coaches should have a better idea what he's got than we do, but they don't know how he'll perform in real games - coaches get surprised quite frequently.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have oodles of faith in our coaches but I'm all right with them going with Telfair, thus far. No doubt they have Marshall shooting 500-1000 shots a day and have him spending an hour or so dribbling at top speed and changing speed. His game needs that kind of work but eventually they need to put him on the floor and see how he plays in 'real life', as Phrazbit and Griffen are suggesting. The coaches should have a better idea what he's got than we do, but they don't know how he'll perform in real games - coaches get surprised quite frequently.

If he shows anything in practice, I agree this has to (and will) occur. But, I don't think he needs to be out there 5 games into the season if he hasn't earned it. I'd hate to see us sacrifice the development of a good young player just so we can gain an extra victory or two but I've seen nothing from Marshall or Gentry to think there's anything like this going on here.

steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a Paul Coro article at azcentral dated 11-7-12 there is a brief comment from Gentry concerning Marhall's improvement.

Rookie point guard Kendall Marshall was unavailable Wednesday night after spraining his ankle in a Tuesday night workout with the player development staff. Suns coach Alvin Gentry said Marshall will need game experience to improve but that Marshall “is a mile apart from where he was (this summer).”

I do not think Marshall is ready to play yet although it appears he is making progress. He might benefit from time in the D-League. I don't think the Suns thought he was NBA ready when they drafted him.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...ooking-push-pace-reserves.html?nclick_check=1

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake