Whiz had to know...

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I've been watching a different team. Last year I saw Kolb leading the team to double digit leads only to have the defense give it away. Then I watched Skelton spend his time underplaying the competition only to come back to tie and win in overtime. Often those wins came thanks to defense and special teams.

I like Skelton as a backup, but like two years ago, he just isn't the answer as a starter.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It's all a plan to make Skelton look bad. In fact, I don't thin Levi is really hurt. It was just a way to get Young in there so Skelton would look bad.

Last edited:

InfiniteRed

Veteran
Reaction score
Well by that logic they did something similar with Leinart vs DA where DA played 2nd string with some 1st stringers against the oppenents 1st, and Leinart played with 1st stringers against 2nd string. Cut anyway.
Or maybe I'm just making sh** up I can't remember fully, but I think something like this happened.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Maybe I've been watching a different team. Last year I saw Kolb leading the team to double digit leads only to have the defense give it away. Then I watched Skelton spend his time underplaying the competition only to come back to tie and win in overtime. Often those wins came thanks to defense and special teams.

I like Skelton as a backup, but like two years ago, he just isn't the answer as a starter.

I think you were, because that's certainly not what happened at Seattle, against Minnesota, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh. Basically every game except Carolina.

How dare the defense allow 17 total points against Seattle at home. How can any reasonable person expect Kevin Kolb to overcome that?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Yeah, you were watching a different team, for certain.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Really, who cares if Kolb gets to start the season. The way the OL is playing, we'll be signing guys off the street to finish out the year at that position. No one in the backfield is going to survive what we witnessed last night for 16 games.

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score

Game 1 (Panthers): Back and forth, Cards prevail 28-21. Kolb looks great, but the media is in love with Cam Newton

Game 2 (Redskins): Cards lead 14-10 in the 3rd. After a field goal makes it 14-13, Cards extend the lead to 21-13 in the 4th with the clock winding down. Defense caves and Cards lose 22-21.

Game 3 (Seahawks): Cards lead 10-6 at the half, but anemic 2nd half results in 13-10 loss.

Game 4 (Giants): Cards lead 27-17 late in the game. Defense caves and Cards lose 31-27.

Game 5 (Vikings): Pitiful game. Line doesn't block, defense doesn't tackle. Kolb fumbles three times. 34-10 loss.

Game 6 (Steelers): Horrible blocking again (results in safety), lowsy defense, off kilter offense. 32-20 loss.

Game 7 (Ravens): Cards shine early to take 24-3 lead only to see it evaporate by the third quarter at 24-20. In the 4th, Ravens and Cards score to tie at 27. Ravens win 30-27.

Kolb goes 1-6 in these games, but three of those games are against quality opponents.

Game 8 (Rams): Under Skelton, Cards are anemic through most of the game. Thankfully, the Rams suck and we're able to tie late and win in overtime on a Peterson punt return. Cards win 19-13.

Game 9 (Eagles): Nice game. The defense kept Philly under control, but still, the Cards never led until the final score. Skelton's performance was important. Cards win 21-17.

Game 10 (49ers): Cards are pathetic. Only score comes on a Richard Bartel pass. Skelton throws three interceptions. 49ers win 23-7.

Game 11 (Rams): Should have been easier, but Skelton threw 2 picks allowing Rams to tie at 20 midway through the 4th. A field goal wins it for the Cards 23-20.

In these 4 games, we beat the worst team in the NFC twice (barely, each time), won a well played game and lost a pathetic one.

Game 12 (Cowboys): Kolb is back. He plays solidly, but the game is low scoring affair with the Cards winning in overtime on a short pass with a great run by Stephens-Howling. Cards win 19-13.

Game 13 (49ers): Kolb is injured early, Skelton is responsible for 3 turnovers (2 Int, 1 Fum). After trailing 19-7 in the 3rd, Cards come back to win 21-19.

Game 14 (Browns): Again, the Cards are anemic against a pitiful team. Thankfully, the Browns are pitiful and squander a 10 point 4th quarter lead to allow the Cards to win the game in overtime 20-17.

Game 15 (Bengals): A good team beats the cards with the help of 3 interceptions by Skelton 23-16.

Game 16 (Seahawks): Solid game. Cards never trailed, but still had to take the game to overtime to win.

The stats say it. Kolb's stats were better than Skelton's. Skelton benefitted from an improved defense later in the season.

I still say: if Skelton is the starter, we're looking at a .500 season. If Kolb is the starter, I expect playoffs.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kolb didn't get any defensive/special teams help in the Giants or Ravens games? You might want to look it up. Or...

Lloydian said:
If Kolb is the starter, I expect playoffs.

Maybe you're not worth talking to at all. I actually don't think that Skelton/Kolb makes a real difference in the win/loss column. But you might want to see your boy win more than 1/3 of his career starts before you start talking noise like that.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He had no vested interest in Warner. He has everything riding on Kolb. It's not all that hard to believe he would give Skelton the "harder" challenge.
Ridiculous. Whis can drive you crazy but wants to win with whoever.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Kolb didn't get any defensive/special teams help in the Giants or Ravens games? You might want to look it up. Or...

Maybe you're not worth talking to at all. I actually don't think that Skelton/Kolb makes a real difference in the win/loss column. But you might want to see your boy win more than 1/3 of his career starts before you start talking noise like that.

No kidding. I don't think I've ever seen a more biased account of those games.

Again who cares. Both guys are awful. I just don't see how this team can win more than 5 games without a 100% turnaround in the next two weeks.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
No kidding. I don't think I've ever seen a more biased account of those games.

Again who cares. Both guys are awful. I just don't see how this team can win more than 5 games without a 100% turnaround in the next two weeks.

Seriously. Take the Giants game. Kolb gets the ball with a 3-point lead and 3:37 on the clock, and bravely grinds the clock down all of 27 seconds and fails to complete a pass to Early Doucet to convert a 3rd and 4.

Cards get the ball back after the defense allows a long TD, and then the defense lets down Kolb AGAIN by taking a 10-yard sack on 2nd and 1 at the New York Giants' 29.

The defense continued to let down Kolb in that Giants game by only recovering 3 fumbles.

In the Washington game, the defense shamefully only ended the first two drives with interceptions. All while Kolb was manfully failing to lead the offense across the 50 yard line through the first half except when the defense handed them the ball in Washington territory.

It was awful how the defense forced Chasi Stuckey to fumble the Washington game away after holding the Redskins to 22 points in their own house. You have to be better than that.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seriously. Take the Giants game. Kolb gets the ball with a 3-point lead and 3:37 on the clock, and bravely grinds the clock down all of 27 seconds and fails to complete a pass to Early Doucet to convert a 3rd and 4.

Cards get the ball back after the defense allows a long TD, and then the defense lets down Kolb AGAIN by taking a 10-yard sack on 2nd and 1 at the New York Giants' 29.

The defense continued to let down Kolb in that Giants game by only recovering 3 fumbles.

In the Washington game, the defense shamefully only ended the first two drives with interceptions. All while Kolb was manfully failing to lead the offense across the 50 yard line through the first half except when the defense handed them the ball in Washington territory.

It was awful how the defense forced Chasi Stuckey to fumble the Washington game away after holding the Redskins to 22 points in their own house. You have to be better than that.

Our defense was left on the field for nearly 14 minutes in the 4th of the Washington game. Over their final 4 possessions the offense ran a combined total of 9 plays.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That he was putting Skelton in the worst possible situation with DJ Young at LT. Funny how moves Batiste to LT and brings Massie in at RT shortly after Kolb comes in. Seems really suspicious to me. I think the agenda has been to start Blok all along. He must have something on Skelton to keep screwing him over.

Pretty sure the only thing screwing Skelton over is Skelton. Kolb has all but handed him the starting job and he hasn't been able to capitalize. As poorly as Kolb has played, Skelton only had to look mediocre, only somewhat competent, but he too looks just as inept. Before last game I actually thought Skelton was a shoe-in for the starting job. But you can't have a performance like that (don't care how bad DJ sucked). His total lob down the seam was horrific. He really should have elevated himself above Kolb--as poorly as Kolb's played--before yesterday, by a lot.

And if you think it was somehow planned, you have to also believe Levi's injury was part of it, which is ludicrous.

I think both QB's are bad. But I agree with whomever said Kolb's best was a lot better than Skelton's best. I totally agree with that. However, I don't really have a dog in this fight anymore, because I think they're both bad--their absolute ceiling is average, especially behind this line.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all a plan to make Skelton look bad. In fact, I don't thin Levi is really hurt. It was just a way to get Young in there so Skelton would look bad.

...OR Whisenhunt is faking Levi's injury because he wants a different LT to start week 1 and then when Kolb get's hurt, Levi will miraculous be better in time for Skelton to start week 2.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
...OR Whisenhunt is faking Levi's injury because he wants a different LT to start week 1 and then when Kolb get's hurt, Levi will miraculous be better in time for Skelton to start week 2.
That's what I was thinking. I think you are on to something here.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Whatever, Levi was placed on IR today. He's done for the season. Keep the conspiracy theories going, real bright.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Whatever, Levi was placed on IR today. He's done for the season. Keep the conspiracy theories going, real bright.
I don't know man, I was at the Club last night and Levi was doing the "electric slide" (with suprising rhythm for a big man).

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Probably slid to the left and his buddy Colbert got hammered on accident.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05