Who Is In Play at #29?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Having addressed the edge rusher need with the trade for DE/OLB Chandler Jones, Steve Keim now has a myriad of options at pick #29 and the wherewithal to go in any direction. While it would seem the C and CB positions are the highest remaining priorities---it is quite possible that Keim will add FAs to those positions prior to the draft---and if that is the case, with roster spots so slim for incoming rookies, and with a chance to draft an immediate impact player, this might be the year for Keim to trade up in the first round for their 1st and 3rd round picks---so I am going to include potential middle of the first round trade-up options in this list.

QB:

Paxton Lynch (6-6, 230, Memphis)---compares to Brock Osweiler in size, pocket passing and arm strength, with better feet, maneuverability and scrambling talent.

RB:

Derrick Henry (6-2, 243, Alabama)---the Cardinals could use a pure power RB and Chris Johnson, Andre Ellington and Stepfan Taylor are likely gone in 2017. A one-two punch in 2017 and beyond with David Johnson and Derrick Henry would be formidable, especially with the added emphasis on the running game.

WR:

Corey Coleman (5-10, 190, Baylor)---with Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd and Jaron Brown in the last year of their deals, BA&SK could be tempted to draft a high impact WR such as Coleman, who put up outstanding numbers as a junior: 74/1,363/20TDs. Coleman's vertical game is stunning, which immediately would capture BA's attention. Plus, he could provide great value in the return game, which fills an immediate need.

Will Fuller (6-0, 184, Notre Dame)---another legitimate deep threat who in 29 career starts at Notre Dame, produced over 2,000 yards and 30 TDs. His ability to separate down the field on deep passes is made to order for BA's offense. Plus, he too is a home run threat in the return game.

TE:

Hunter Henry (6-5, 253, Arkansas)---Jermaine Gresham and Darren Fells will be FAs next year and Henry, while not a prolific blocker, is a stud receiver. In a year or two he could even fill Larry Fitzgerald's current role.

OT:

Taylor Decker (6-7, 315, Ohio St.)---with question marks looming about D.J. Humphries as this year's answer at tackle, some pundits have the Cardinals taking Decker at #29 because he is a plug in and play RT. If Decker, who is a stalwart in the running game, beats out Humphries, Humphries can be the swing tackle for now.

Jack Conklin (6-6, 318, Michigan St.)---similar attributes to Decker, rugged, strong and nasty.

Jason Spriggs (6-6, 301, Indiana)---has drawn Nate Solder comparisons as a converted TE to T. Has the feet to be an excellent edge pass protector.

OG:

Cody Whitehair (6-4, 300, Kansas St.)---generally regarded as the most talented and versatile interior lineman of the bunch. A left tackle at KSU, he is projected to play guard or center and has said he is happy to do either. He is the closest player to Zack Martin in this draft.

C:

Ryan Kelly (6-4, 297, Alabama)---the Cardinals' Terry McDonough is raving about Kelly and states that he is a lock to go in the first round. Kelly, this year's Rimington Award winner, could very well be the Cardinals choice at #29.

DT:

A'Shawn Robinson (6-3, 312, Alabama)---not only could Robinson play at NT, he could play in certain packages at DT/DE because, with his power and athleticism, he can collapse the pocket.

Sheldon Rankins (6-2, 304, Louisville)---this is a player Keim could want to trade up for because he is the most competitive and most talented interior pass rusher in the draft. He eventually could have a Malik Jackson kind of impact.

Vernon Butler (6-4, 325, Louisiana Tech)---combines brute upper body strength with lateral and short-area quickness. Has pass rushing ability and the strength to toss aside blockers.

Kenny Clark (6-2, 310, UCLA)---packs a punch off the snap and is a highly impactful run defender. Can play NT or DT.

Robert Nkemdiche (6-3, 296, Mississippi)---while many scouts have taken him off their boards because of his off-the-field issues, he is the Darnell Dockett or Michael Bennett of this draft in terms of explosiveness and tremendous ability to blow up plays in the backfield.

DE:

Shaq Lawson (6-3, 270, Clemson)---super competitive and aggressive, does a superb job taking on and shedding blocks and strings out plays with consistent aplomb. High motor on pass rush. Battles hard on every snap.

Jonathan Bullard (6-3, 283, Florida)---has the versatility the Cardinals' coaches love, Can rush and defense the run from anywhere along the line. Made to order as a 34DE.

Kevin Dodd (6-4, 275, Clemson)
---showed up big-time in the Championship game and throughout the season with 23.5 TFL and 12 sacks. Has a very good combination of size, strength and agility. As a rusher his is quick and slippery.

Emmanuel Ogbah (6-3, 275, Oklahoma St.)---has all the physical skills you want as an edge rusher, but is very inconsistent, effort-wise. He shows up big for a play or two---but often takes plays off. Needs to improve his stamina and the consistency of his motor.

ILB:

Reggie Ragland (6-1, 259, Alabama)---impact tackler inside and in space who could play inside and on the edge. Has untapped pass rush ability.

OLB:

Darron Lee (6-1, 235, Ohio St.)---tremendous athlete who can electrify a defense and play all over the formations.

Jaylon Smith (6-3, 235, Notre Dame)---one of the quickest read and react linebackers to come into the NFL in a while. Can do it all. Tremendous instincts. Needs to give teams hope that he can return 100% from his devastating knee injury.

Noah Spence (6-3, 254, Eastern Kentucky)---is the quickest edge rusher in the draft and can win one-on-one battles. Off the field issues and questions as to whether he can set the edge in the NFL may hinder his draft ratings.

Leonard Floyd (6-3, 232, Georgia)---slight of frame edge rusher who has the speed, chase quickness and tackling ability. Was not as productive at Georgia as one would have thought, based on his athleticism. Some scouts wonder if he is another Barkeviovs Mingo.

CB:

Mackenzie Alexander (5-10, 195, Clemson)---has Josh Norman kind of swag, stickiness in man coverage and pass breakup ability. Interesting that although most teams stayed away from his side of the field, he never recorded an interception at Clemson. That should change in the NFL.

Eli Apple (6-1, 200, Ohio St.)---tall, athletic and super competitive---plays a physical brand of coverage, perhaps too handsy and grabby at times, but with speedy, long CBs in vogue, he fits the bill.

William Jackson III (6-1, 195, Houston)---smooth and polished playmaker who has good length and speed. Plays aggressively, yet at time it appears effortless.

Kendall Fuller (6-0, 197, Virginia Tech)---the Fuller bothers have been starring at CB at Va tech for years and Kendall looks every bit as good as his older brothers, as he plays an aggressive attack-style press coverage---the only knock is that he lacks burner speed, which may cost him from time to time if he doesn't have good safety help.

S:

Vonn Bell (5-11, 205, Ohio St.)---Urban Meyer exclaims that bell is as good as any safety he's ever coached. Bell is highly versatile and a real asset in the nickel and dime packages as he is equally adept at man and zone coverage. While he's not a big hitter, he is a reliable tackler.

Jeremy Cash (6-1, 212, Duke)---had 101 tackles, 16 TFL and 2.5 sacks as a senior and was named ACC Defensive Player of the Year. Cash thrives in the box and could play both SS and ILB in the Cardinals' version of the 34.

Keanu Neal (6-1, 216, Florida)---plays like his hair is on fire and makes highlight reel hits. Lacks refinement in coverage, but thunders down the alleys to make big, jarring tackles.

Su'a Cravens (6-1, 225, USC)---he's the Honey Badger of this draft in terms of showing up at the right place at the right time and in terms of making splash tackles, sacks and QB pressures. Highly motivated and productive player who can play SS or ILB.

Please let me know if I missed any player worthy of the #29 pick---and what I would love to know is your thoughts about what players are the best fit for the Cardinals. I will return with my thoughts asap.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
If all were available at 29, who would you like them to pick up mitch?

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
If it plays out and medical clears him I draft Jaylon Smith. Rankins or Clark in that order would be the way I would go.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see the Cards going with Ryan Kelly at C. Would be happy with taking him at 29

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I think any team that drafts Derrick Henry is going to be disappointed...unless they have an O-Line that consistently gets to the second level and allows him to build up speed.

I have to imagine rush DT's and DE's have to be high on the Cards' board this year. Having a dominant D-Line makes every aspect of the defense better; Corners can play more aggressive...safeties can get closer to the line...and linebackers can play downhill. Blitzing on ~43% of defensive snaps isn't a recipe for sustained success...they 'have' to create consistent pressure with the front 4 to really take the next step.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I think any team that drafts Derrick Henry is going to be disappointed...unless they have an O-Line that consistently gets to the second level and allows him to build up speed.

I have to imagine rush DT's and DE's have to be high on the Cards' board this year. Having a dominant D-Line makes every aspect of the defense better; Corners can play more aggressive...safeties can get closer to the line...and linebackers can play downhill. Blitzing on ~43% of defensive snaps isn't a recipe for sustained success...they 'have' to create consistent pressure with the front 4 to really take the next step.

I was watching tape of him today and I saw a number of plays where there was no initial hole and Henry did a little quick side stepping, found a crease and was off to the races. His acceleration looks fine to me.

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
The only offensive pick I wouldn't be upset about would be Center. Although I'd prefer it in Round 3. Rather have CB or 3-4 DE in 1st round.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I could see the Cards going with Ryan Kelly at C. Would be happy with taking him at 29

Based on what Terry McDonough told MJ, Kelly is very high on the Cardinals' board. Right now he could very well be the odds-on favorite, unless they sign a FA. But the way McDonough was talking, he thinks Kelly will be off the board at #29. The other thing is---they signed a FA early in the off-season named Tyler Boggs who drew raves at the Lions' camp last year. Wonder how high BA&SK&HG are on Boggs---it could mean waiting on drafting a center until Day 2 or 3. And---A.Q. Shipley did play fairly well when Sendlein was injured. BA&HG have always like him.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch maybe u Can include the guy who had the penis out during his 40 yard dash

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on what Terry McDonough told MJ, Kelly is very high on the Cardinals' board. Right now he could very well be the odds-on favorite, unless they sign a FA. But the way McDonough was talking, he thinks Kelly will be off the board at #29. The other thing is---they signed a FA early in the off-season named Tyler Boggs who drew raves at the Lions' camp last year. Wonder how high BA&SK&HG are on Boggs---it could mean waiting on drafting a center until Day 2 or 3. And---A.Q. Shipley did play fairly well when Sendlein was injured. BA&HG have always like him.

I dont remember a manager with later pick praising a project first rounder player and then selecting him

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
They may trade down to aquire a 2nd and another 3rd.

That said, with the addition of C. Jones, a great (coop) for the Cardinals they aren't pressed to take a player with questionable backround issues. They can truly take the best player on their board. I'm nudging towards C, CB, S or DL. There will be one of those positions available. I also wouldn't hate the Derrick Henry pick. He would be the Bell Cow and Johnson could be used in a myriad of ways. But I would take the lineman or secondary over him.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I Think you are overcomplicating this. Keim has always taken BPA. Yes. He and the scouts might have different ratings than the media experts, but stories after the draft have always told that the chosen player was the highest on their board.

So. The selection at #29 Will be a player that the team have rated higher than the "general" media board OR a player that is good value at that spot.

If you look at this year's draft there's no doubt that it'a loaded at DL, so I consider it most likely that the Pick is a 3-4 DE. Robert Nkemdiche could be that pick

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
That's a really high pick to use on a center. Probably lots of good centers in the 3rd or 4th round.
You have to be very fortunate to find an NFL starting caliber center there. It's mtl a servicable backup like Watford. We need a permanent solution.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have to be very fortunate to find an NFL starting caliber center there. It's mtl a serviceable backup like Watford. We need a permanent solution.

We can complain about Sendlein but he's been a very serviceable UDFA.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
We can complain about Sendlein but he's been a very serviceable UDFA.

For the most part I don't think people complain about Sendlein, the guy played his heart out for this team for years, while being somewhat undersized and lacking a little athleticly. I think most realize it's a position that we can upgrade and get better. I personally would never want to disregard the contributions he has made for us.

long_season

Veteran
Reaction score
Lyle rocks

Yes he can be upgraded but the guy has had a huge career for being an UDFA. Still remember when his finger/hand was bleeding so much he couldn't snap the ball (twice in a row)...they pulled him out to tape it up and he was back in a snap later. I know he isn't ring of honor worthy - but he wasn't part of the problem (as proven by bringing him back last year when shipely was getting pushed around in training camp)

Shipley did do well in his start this season when Lyle was down though.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My immediate impulse is to say DT Sheldon Rankins, Shaggy.

How about you?

I like dodd and ragland. Even though they traded for jones, I feel they still would like to get a quality rushed if they can't keep Jones for next season.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Kelly will be there I can easily see Seattle or Indy taking him they are desperate for offensive line help and its either gonna be a second or third tier tackle or the best center

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't think Kelly will be there I can easily see Seattle or Indy taking him they are desperate for offensive line help and its either gonna be a second or third tier tackle or the best center

I was gonna say Kelly to the Chickens is the lock of the draft.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You have to be very fortunate to find an NFL starting caliber center there. It's mtl a servicable backup like Watford. We need a permanent solution.

IIRC most nfl centers are drafted mid rounds. Usually round one is reserved for dominant tackles.

did a little research....in the last 10 years there have been six centers drafted in the first round,..mack, kalil, a couple of pouncey's....... nearly five times that in tackles.....

Last edited:

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Defense wins championships so I definitely think we need to take someone in the 1st who improves our D.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05