boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be cheering for the Brewers!

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Angels & Phillies

So long as the Dodgers, Cubs and Red Sox all lose.

Bingo.

Right there with you.

HATE the Cubs and Dodgers. Can't root for the high salary Red Sox. Ok with the Brewers, Twins or Rays. Ozzie Guillen can kiss my a$$ so no way am I cheering for the White Sox.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i'm glad for the second season in the row my marlins helped facilitate the mutts collapse

as for who now? - if the twins make it I'd love to see them and the brewers

i have nothing against the phillies and have a lot of connections to them - however it would be hard as they are NL E.

absolutlely no cubs and i'd be happy to not see the red sox again

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
In no particular order..

1) Minnesota
2) Milwaukee
3) Tampa Bay

I don't give a rat's ass what ESPN and the media overhypes as an "ideal World Series" nor do I give two squats about the "pundits' choice". I'm a fan of the game, not the media ratings.

That in mind, these three teams are everything that is right with baseball.

I'd love especially to see Minnesota win it. After losing Torii Hunter and Johan Santana to the big market monsters (one via trade, one via free agency), it would be an absolute gem to see them take the full monte.

Either way, all three have essentially built a baseball team how it should be.. through the draft and through proper scouting. Milwaukee has been a little more spend happy with their cash than the other two, but the majority of that team is farm built and bred.

I like this much better because it's proof that you don't need to spend 200 million dollars to be competitive.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
One could argue Boston has built their team in the right way also. Look at their starting lineup. 1-Youkilis, 2-Pedroia, SS-Lowire, C-Varitek, OF-Ellsbury, SP-Lester, SP-Bucholz, RP-Delcarman, CL-Papelbon. All these guys came from the farm. Add in Lowell/Beckett who they got for prospects and the development of Ortiz after arriving from MIN. How is this different from what the Diamondbacks have done?

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One could argue Boston has built their team in the right way also. Look at their starting lineup. 1-Youkilis, 2-Pedroia, SS-Lowire, C-Varitek, OF-Ellsbury, SP-Lester, SP-Bucholz, RP-Delcarman, CL-Papelbon. All these guys came from the farm. Add in Lowell/Beckett who they got for prospects and the development of Ortiz after arriving from MIN. How is this different from what the Diamondbacks have done?

They have developed soem talent. Difference is they can:

A) Afford to keep it
B) Suppliment it with HUGE dollar additions like Matsuzake, Ortiz, Lowell, Beckett etc

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score

The difference is, Boston does this and suppliments it with big money contract signings, such as JD Drew and Dasikue Matsuzaka.

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
They have developed soem talent. Difference is they can:

A) Afford to keep it
B) Suppliment it with HUGE dollar additions like Matsuzake, Ortiz, Lowell, Beckett etc

Ortiz was making 1 million when he was acquired. Beckett was making 4 million. Lowell was a throw-away who has conveniently worked out. I agree Dice-K and JD Drew are the teams "luxeries", but Boston is pretty smart with their money.

I just don't like when Boston and NY are lumped together with regards to buying a championship. Boston uses their money to keep their players where NY purely buys their guys (Jeter, Posada, Cano, Joba are the exception)

They did bring in 234 million in revenue last year, so that helps a little :D

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ortiz was making 1 million when he was acquired. Beckett was making 4 million. Lowell was a throw-away who has conveniently worked out. I agree Dice-K and JD Drew are the teams "luxeries", but Boston is pretty smart with their money.

I just don't like when Boston and NY are lumped together with regards to buying a championship. Boston uses their money to keep their players where NY purely buys their guys (Jeter, Posada, Cano, Joba are the exception)

They did bring in 234 million in revenue last year, so that helps a little :D
You forgot Rivera and Bernie Williams (back when NY was winning.)

Boston is not so different from the Yanks in $$$ a championship.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
the only reason why guys like beckett and ortiz were traded is that they were about to get real expensive, so saying they only made "x" at the time of acquisition is a bit misleading

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Ortiz was release by MIN and signed as a free agent.

that's because they couldn't find someone who could trade for him and pay his increase - only teams like the red sox can do that

"I really would have liked to deal David," Twins general manager Terry Ryan said. "But I couldn't find a taker."

The main reason Ryan couldn't get a better return on Ortiz is that he was one of four Twins eligible for arbitration and likely to earn a sizeable raise in the process. Other teams now have two days to claim Ortiz off waivers, in which case he would still go to arbitration, before he becomes a free agent.

http://www.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20021216&content_id=186718&vkey=news_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

so he made about $900k with the twins in 2002 - in arbitration he was projected to get between $3M & $4M

the red sox were able to snag him for relatively cheap at $1.2M as they let him clear waivers and signed him as an FA (killing any potential arbitration for his new team)

they ended up paying him over $4M the next season

however, I did mis-speak by saying trading - both were essentially salary dumps by low payroll teams that the red sox were able to profit on

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Angels & Phillies

So long as the Dodgers, Cubs and Red Sox all lose.

I'm cool with that. I am a Phillies fan through and through, but I was in So Cal when the Angels played the Red Sox this summer and the staff there did a great job of making the Angels one of my top 4 MLB teams. Super stadium and super staff there. (And they kicked the crap out of the Red Sox, which also helps.)

I grew up a Brewers fan.. So if they make it.. Thats who Ill be rooting for.. If and when they are out of it, Ill support my Philly friends (Philly,Jersey) and go with the Phillies..

:D

Thanks, Chad! Go Phillies!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
National League Order

Brewers
Phillies
Dodgers/Cubs

American League
Rays
Angels
White Sox
Red Sox

Do not want: All CA or all Chicago series

DiamondBacks5117

Registered
Reaction score
cant believe i am saying this as a d back fan but go dodgers!!! cant wait until tomorrow when they sweep the cubbies.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Aaaaahhhh! A Phillies W and an eagles L. What a great damn sportsday in the city!